Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
bdubs3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,708
Default Combined Shipping...

So, I thought I knew what this meant...but apparently not. Can someone please tell me what this means on ebay?

here is a reply I got from a seller, that offers "combined shipping".

"I did combine your shipping. If you paid for it individually it would cost you $5 for each item. I am going I take the 4 or 5 and put into one box. I cannot put all that into an envelope. Combining shipping doesn't mean you get them all for $5. That would be 1 shipping price."

In the listings, he states he will combine shipping. not that each item is X more...but that it's combined. This tells me that if you buy more than 1 item, it's still the same shipping charge...is this wrong?
__________________
THE Matthew Stafford SuperCollector
PC - Stafford: http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n527/bdubs3316/Stafford/
Trade/Sale: http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n527/bdubs3316/For%20Trade%20or%20Sale/

Last edited by bdubs3316; 10-25-2012 at 11:45 AM.
bdubs3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Imac7065's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,206
Default

You charge less for multiple items purchased? I am sensing sarcasm here though lol
__________________
For My Up to Date Inventory Please Check My Ebay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/Jeremys-Sports-Cards-and-Coins

Last edited by Imac7065; 10-25-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Imac7065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
roc21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
Posts: 2,152
Default

say you win 2 auctions from same seller on same day, his shipping charge is..$2.50 on each item, well usually in the comments youll see hell charge the 2.50 then maybe .50 per additional- just an example...instead of paying 2.50 + 2.50...
__________________
Vikings fan...but pc Dolphins for my son
http://www.squidoo.com/How-NFL-teams-got-their-name
roc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
bdubs3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc21 View Post
say you win 2 auctions from same seller on same day, his shipping charge is..$2.50 on each item, well usually in the comments youll see hell charge the 2.50 then maybe .50 per additional- just an example...instead of paying 2.50 + 2.50...
right...but let's say this is his line in the auction...

"I am charging $5 for shipping/handling/supplies; everything will go out US Mail and anything sold for over $200 will go US Priority Mail with insurance. I will combine shipping as well."

does this mean regardless of how many items (lets say 5)...the shipping charge should be $5?
__________________
THE Matthew Stafford SuperCollector
PC - Stafford: http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n527/bdubs3316/Stafford/
Trade/Sale: http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n527/bdubs3316/For%20Trade%20or%20Sale/
bdubs3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Imac7065's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubs3316 View Post
right...but let's say this is his line in the auction...

"I am charging $5 for shipping/handling/supplies; everything will go out US Mail and anything sold for over $200 will go US Priority Mail with insurance. I will combine shipping as well."

does this mean regardless of how many items (lets say 5)...the shipping charge should be $5?
I would contact the seller about that.. seems vague to me.
__________________
For My Up to Date Inventory Please Check My Ebay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/Jeremys-Sports-Cards-and-Coins
Imac7065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: usa
Posts: 7,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubs3316 View Post
right...but let's say this is his line in the auction...

"I am charging $5 for shipping/handling/supplies; everything will go out US Mail and anything sold for over $200 will go US Priority Mail with insurance. I will combine shipping as well."

does this mean regardless of how many items (lets say 5)...the shipping charge should be $5?
His line in the auction is pretty unclear and confusing. Best thing to do is contact seller beforehand so he can make it clear. I put in my auctions that I'll combine shipping costs. I don't have a set price for additional's purchased, and normally, if cost efficient, I won't even charge anything extra for them.
__________________
__________________________________

http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/k543/obadger/sale%20or%20trade---Autos/
obadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
bdubs3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obadger View Post
His line in the auction is pretty unclear and confusing. Best thing to do is contact seller beforehand so he can make it clear. I put in my auctions that I'll combine shipping costs. I don't have a set price for additional's purchased, and normally, if cost efficient, I won't even charge anything extra for them.
for the 5 items, it's now $10 shipping...which seems a bit much. which is why I was asking the question here.

thanks for the input!
__________________
THE Matthew Stafford SuperCollector
PC - Stafford: http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n527/bdubs3316/Stafford/
Trade/Sale: http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n527/bdubs3316/For%20Trade%20or%20Sale/
bdubs3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
saintsfan9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,373
Send a message via AIM to saintsfan9
Default

so you had 5 items at $5 each.

how much is he charging you? $10?

if so , pay it. and 1 star his shipping charges if you see that it only cost $5 to ship
__________________
Bucket: http://s749.photobucket.com/home/saintsfan20/allalbums
I only ship to US (Canada for some members)
When I post a price, I will not respond to "PM me your best price" or if I "can do any better." If you want a better price, please counter-offer.
saintsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Verufian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bonney Lake, WA
Posts: 1,828
Default

I state combined shipping on my auctions.

I charge $2.50 to ship. Regardless if it's 1 card or 10 cards.
__________________
Photobucket - http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l292/Verufian/
KYLE SEAGER SUPER COLLECTOR!!!
Always looking for Current Mariners / Seahawks auto's.
Verufian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: usa
Posts: 7,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfan9 View Post
so you had 5 items at $5 each.

how much is he charging you? $10?

if so , pay it. and 1 star his shipping charges if you see that it only cost $5 to ship
Yeah, thats a bit excessive, unless of course he's shipping by priority mail.
__________________
__________________________________

http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/k543/obadger/sale%20or%20trade---Autos/
obadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,133
Default

Combined shipping can have many variations: cheaper additional costs or free additional costs.

I charge $2.25 no matter the number of auctions won, if paid at one time.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 447
Default

Combined shipping:

Item #1 $1.99
Item #2 $1.99
Item #3 $1.99

Total Shipping $5.97.

What??? I combined them for you

I keep reading the original post and still dont understand what the seller is doing. Good luck!
crazycards1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,548
Send a message via AIM to dustin9900 Send a message via Yahoo to dustin9900
Default

I think a link to the auction would be helpful (well one of them at least). But yeah charging 1.25 per additional item won is a bit excessive. I mean 5 cards in a bubble mailer won't even run you the 5 bucks let alone the rest of the price.
__________________
need to update but here's my bucket: s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt37/dustin9900/
Teams I collect: Atlanta Braves, South Carolina Gamecocks
Players I collect: Sidney Rice, Chipper Jones, Cal Ripken Jr., Nolan Ryan
dustin9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
FanboyOfNone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,478
Default

I have to "agree" with the seller on this one.

I've bought and sold (mostly bought) on and off for the last ten years. Only 199 feedback though. But regardless, I've always taken combined shipping to mean each additional auction won is at a "shipping discount." The seller only has to send one package when you win multiple auctions and this allows the seller to pass on the cheaper mailing cost to the buyer while not losing his arse on selling 50 items for one strict shipping price.

I have noticed that these days sellers can be more vague and not mention what combined shipping entails. At least with anything hobby related.

Last time I was interested in something, I contacted the seller about his "combined shipping." $7 for the first item, and his reply told me $2 for each additional item. I was more than happy for that quote. I've bought four items from him in the last two days, I'll hopefully win a couple more auctions tonight. If he ships everything in a timely fashion, he'll get top marks from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubs3316 View Post
for the 5 items, it's now $10 shipping...which seems a bit much. which is why I was asking the question here.

thanks for the input!
Now those five items I assume to be singles, which renders my post a little less useful. He MIGHT be charging you a little more than he should.

I wouldn't give him one star either way though. Communication goes both ways and this time you may have been bitten...just a little. Really, I'd make it a point as often as possible to message the seller when combined shipping isn't outlined fully.

Seems like you did get a solid discount though. $5 for one auction. $5 for the next four auctions.
FanboyOfNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
jlzinck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 17,598
Default

Another money whore trying to get more out of something.

Any decent seller will charge $3 or less and an additional about up to a max if you are buying singles.
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
FanboyOfNone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
Another money whore trying to get more out of something.

Any decent seller will charge $3 or less and an additional about up to a max if you are buying singles.
I guess the question here is...are they all singles?
FanboyOfNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
bdubs3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboyOfNone View Post
I guess the question here is...are they all singles?
yes...all singles.
__________________
THE Matthew Stafford SuperCollector
PC - Stafford: http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n527/bdubs3316/Stafford/
Trade/Sale: http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n527/bdubs3316/For%20Trade%20or%20Sale/
bdubs3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,787
Default

The seller has to be new. It cost the same amount to put 5 singles in one bubble as it does for one card. That's $1.64. $5 is crazy to start. Sounds like a new seller of cards.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
jimssouvenirs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 5,544
Default

Combined shipping directly benefits the seller in many ways, so I'm not sure why more guys don't do it for CHEAP (10 or 20 cents per extra item). If I find a free combined shipping, i'm going to buy more items every time.
__________________
Theme of the Night: Song Lyrics
jimssouvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
SportCardBuffet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubs3316 View Post
for the 5 items, it's now $10 shipping...which seems a bit much. which is why I was asking the question here.

thanks for the input!
$10 for shipping? He must work for COMC. Sounds like a bunch of crap, seller should have been pretty specific.
__________________
Actively taking Consignments, PM for details!
SportCardBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimssouvenirs View Post
Combined shipping directly benefits the seller in many ways, so I'm not sure why more guys don't do it for CHEAP (10 or 20 cents per extra item). If I find a free combined shipping, i'm going to buy more items every time.
I am guilty. If I win an auction from a seller who charges a flat shipping fee I will browse the remainder of his listings and likely buy many more items.

I encourage everyone to charge a flat rate on card auctions.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
I am guilty. If I win an auction from a seller who charges a flat shipping fee I will browse the remainder of his listings and likely buy many more items.

I encourage everyone to charge a flat rate on card auctions.
+1. I have gotten rid of many cards because of offering a flat rate price. Plus it helps with the DSR stars and all that fun stuff.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
wesnilevirus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubs3316 View Post
for the 5 items, it's now $10 shipping...which seems a bit much. which is why I was asking the question here.

thanks for the input!
Well, 10 dollars is cheaper than 25, so I guess the seller did give you a break. Still a rip off
wesnilevirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
briscogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chicago-ish area
Posts: 2,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubs3316 View Post
So, I thought I knew what this meant...but apparently not. Can someone please tell me what this means on ebay?

here is a reply I got from a seller, that offers "combined shipping".

"I did combine your shipping. If you paid for it individually it would cost you $5 for each item. I am going I take the 4 or 5 and put into one box. I cannot put all that into an envelope. Combining shipping doesn't mean you get them all for $5. That would be 1 shipping price."

In the listings, he states he will combine shipping. not that each item is X more...but that it's combined. This tells me that if you buy more than 1 item, it's still the same shipping charge...is this wrong?
Here is your problem. He's not shipping in a bubble mailer, he's shiping in a box! If they are all base or auto singles, and not jersey or patch cards, they should fit into a small bubble mailer just fine. But, even if he uses the flat rate boxes from the PO, it shouldnt be more than $5 or $6. I would go back, confirm his shipping method and packaging, and ask to come to a concensus. Even a flat rate box with DC is less than $10. For 5 cards, you are lining his pockets.
briscogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
iam12fear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Posts: 206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimssouvenirs View Post
Combined shipping directly benefits the seller in many ways, so I'm not sure why more guys don't do it for CHEAP (10 or 20 cents per extra item). If I find a free combined shipping, i'm going to buy more items every time.
Agreed. If a seller offers cheap or free combined shipping, I always look at their other auctions for more cards. I am less inclined to look at other auctions with those sellers that offer free shipping on everything because more often than not, they have factored in shipping charges with the starting price. I don't feel like I am getting as good of a deal.
iam12fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.