Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Going to bust my first case in two weeks!!!

Hey guys new to the forum, and just getting back into collecting. Me and my father used to buy boxes from time to time when i was young, and i always asked for them on christmas and my birthday, and when i had spare change I would always get me some packs. We did this together or so for ten years and then it came to a hault as i got into my later teenage years (me and him got out of it). Started doing it again a year and a half ago shortly after me and my girlfriend got together just so i had an at home hobby and............. I am hooked again!!! lol So im 24 years old now and will finish having the funds to buy my first case in about two weeks (approx: $1000=$1200 is what i want to spend or less) and would really just like some advice on what case is a good/exciting buy. In mind i will be selling most of the cards and putting it back towards another case unless I have a really big hit I like. Any advice would be greatly appreciate. (boxes with big hits left, i do like some chase stuff(leaf best of baseball, but gamble almost too high), does well on ebay). One of my ABSOLUTE favorite so far since i got back into it has been the 2011 allen and ginter which i am leaning the most towards but just so many of the big hits are gone. please help!!!!!! lol (added - just seen panini sig 2012 comes out early november and i like that stuff a lot, 3 cases of this instead????)
lazygambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygambler View Post
Hey guys new to the forum, and just getting back into collecting. Me and my father used to buy boxes from time to time when i was young, and i always asked for them on christmas and my birthday, and when i had spare change I would always get me some packs. We did this together or so for ten years and then it came to a hault as i got into my later teenage years (me and him got out of it). Started doing it again a year and a half ago shortly after me and my girlfriend got together just so i had an at home hobby and............. I am hooked again!!! lol So im 24 years old now and will finish having the funds to buy my first case in about two weeks (approx: $1000=$1200 is what i want to spend or less) and would really just like some advice on what case is a good/exciting buy. In mind i will be selling most of the cards and putting it back towards another case unless I have a really big hit I like. Any advice would be greatly appreciate. (boxes with big hits left, i do like some chase stuff(leaf best of baseball, but gamble almost too high), does well on ebay). One of my ABSOLUTE favorite so far since i got back into it has been the 2011 allen and ginter which i am leaning the most towards but just so many of the big hits are gone. please help!!!!!! lol (added - just seen panini sig 2012 comes out early november and i like that stuff a lot, 3 cases of this instead????)
I am going to give you some great advice here. If you are going to bust cases and boxes to mostly re-sell then you want to get something on release date or a day or 2 earlier if possible if you want any chance of making money back, ESPECIALLY IN THE CURRENT MARKET. You would be better off to buy 1200 Powerball tickets then to buy 2011 A&G over a year after release as baseball season is about to end. Thats like taking $900 out of the bank, setting $750 of it on fire, then depositing the remaining $150 back in your account. The current card market sucks right now because Ebay is more flooded than it has ever been. The best thing you can do right now is take your $1000 and buy singles over the next 2 months. The sports cards and mem free listings end at the end of the year and right now just about every card being auctioned off is going way under value. Buy now, wait until next March, and resell. There are more people than ever right now trying to bust wax for profit and even if you get a HUGE pull you will still lose 99% of the time.
crazycards1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to saintsfan9

every single thread on here that says the word case or box anywhere. will get the response of "buy singles". Buying singles is fine, but not nearly as much fun.

I would get a case of chrome or contenders. 2012. Buying old products can be fine, just dont go getting 2009 score or topps, it must be a high end product, everything else is forgetten.

My vote is 2012 Topps Chrome, it comes out soon. However the price is a bit steep for the small amout of autos you will get.
saintsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

exactly. Buying singles is smarter, but not as fun. You just don't get the excitement of opening the box.
azviking101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

I pulled my megahit Andrew Luck Superfractor from my only case ever. Topps Finest 2012. I want to recommend that because it was a fun break even before my hit on the third(?) box...but it's HIGHLY risky even if there are a few nice Supers left. But hey, first case beginners luck, right?

There's Chrome which will be very popular, but 12 autos in a case is scary to me. Even with the refractors, which also have scary odds for the nice low numbered ones. Still, not the worst choice. People will be snatching up singles I assume.

Strata looks to be gaining steam...but that's not until December. Might be my second case ever though. Guaranteed case hit auto numbered to 35, 15, or 5. Breakdown looks nice.

Prime's at a relatively cheap price point, but even if you do hit a Luck/Griffin auto...it'll likely be high numbered and worth under 200. The big hits don't seem too big.

Platinum's risky like Finest. Even worse checklist IMO, but you could hit something nice. If you're lucky.

Finally, there's what seems to be everyone's 2011 favorite. Contenders. Four autos, though people report 5 or 6 autos in their breaks sometimes. If you're looking for big hits, there are the 1/1 Front Row Tickets and the 1/1 Black Golds. Longshot definitely. I feel like I've seen a list of about 40 of 52 Black Golds that have already been pulled. Now I'm not sure if Cam's been pulled if that's any additional incentive.

Hope that helps a little. I'm sure others will have great recommendations. I've opened some Panini this year, but can't recommend much of it.

Rookies and Stars continues to screw me over and Momentum/Prominence/Certified aren't getting much love. There's Gridiron 2012 that offers two 9 hit hot boxes per 9 box case...but even those hot boxes have seemed a little ugly. Only seen a few breaks though.

FanboyOfNone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks a lot for all of the great advice guys, and yes the purpose of me opening the case is also for fun too so i don't think i will go with the singles option even though i did mention profit or selling to be a big part of why i wanted to do this (so i still really appreciate your knowledge). I started this in the baseball forum and someone mentioned i should post it here too, so far now i getting closer to baseball bowman draft 1 case, and 1 case topps chrome football, or going stupid on a chase product (something about the gamble) but you guys got me closer to the bowman draft baseball, and topps chrome football. Thanks again, Cam
lazygambler is online now   Reply With Quote