Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1981 Topps Football - some input needed

I have been thinking about buying a box of this product but have a few questions in regards to the cards. Obviously Joe Montana is the big pull but is one guaranteed in the box like the Jordan rookies come 2-3 per box? Also what is the biggest diff between the wax box, cello packs, or rack packs when it comes to this product. Thanks to anyone with some input
Mikiamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

not to hijack your thread but I've also always wondered what the deal with the black X on these boxes are. Not just 1981 either, some advertise as no black X while others have a black X on the box top. Anyone know the deal with that?
trixstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

I can only answer part of the question. The difference between rack, wax and cello packs are the packaging/amount of cards. Cello packs are clear packs you can see the top and bottom cards and come 27 cards per pack. Wax packs come in a traditional wax wrapper you can't see through and contain 15 cards. All of the packs have gum sticks that leave stains on the cards. The wax packs also leave wax stains on the back of the last card as well. I'm less familiar with the rack packs as I know there are multiple configurations in packaging.
Good luck. This is one of the next "old" boxes I want to break.
PAYING VERY HANDSOMELY FOR THE "O" IN THE 2009 DREW BLEDSOE BY THE LETTER SET. WILL PAY $25 FINDERS FEE IF YOU DIRECT ME TO ONE AND I AM ABLE TO MAKE A DEAL (eBay and COMC listings NOT APPLICABLE/REDEEMABLE)
ssbledsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixstar View Post
not to hijack your thread but I've also always wondered what the deal with the black X on these boxes are. Not just 1981 either, some advertise as no black X while others have a black X on the box top. Anyone know the deal with that?
I may be mistaken, but I believe it was a way for retailers to mark them for returns. I read that somewhere, but can't remember where...
PAYING VERY HANDSOMELY FOR THE "O" IN THE 2009 DREW BLEDSOE BY THE LETTER SET. WILL PAY $25 FINDERS FEE IF YOU DIRECT ME TO ONE AND I AM ABLE TO MAKE A DEAL (eBay and COMC listings NOT APPLICABLE/REDEEMABLE)
Old 10-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbledsoe View Post
I may be mistaken, but I believe it was a way for retailers to mark them for returns. I read that somewhere, but can't remember where...
This is correct.
hofmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixstar View Post
Those are blackout boxes. They were resold back to topps by candy stores ect at the end of the year.. Topps sent them back out into the market with the black x so you could tell it had been at another location.

I would go with a vending box over any packs.. I had really good success on rack packs from 85 football but with the big sets you won't complete one. I didn't pull one elway in my 85 but had 4 or 5 Moon rookies.
wolffer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

And just keep in mind that like a lot of 80s rack and cello product, once the dealer knows the packing sequence for the box, it's easy to identify which packs have Montanas in them (eg. Mike Pruitt in action on top means Montana underneath).
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffer12 View Post
Those are blackout boxes. They were resold back to topps by candy stores ect at the end of the year.. Topps sent them back out into the market with the black x so you could tell it had been at another location.

I would go with a vending box over any packs.. I had really good success on rack packs from 85 football but with the big sets you won't complete one. I didn't pull one elway in my 85 but had 4 or 5 Moon rookies.
I've had success with old vending boxes getting gradeable copies ('83 Topps Baseball). To the OP, vending boxes (when not searched) provide the best option (IMO) except for centering because you don't have to worry about surface stains or wrappers dinging edges/corners.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
And just keep in mind that like a lot of 80s rack and cello product, once the dealer knows the packing sequence for the box, it's easy to identify which packs have Montanas in them (eg. Mike Pruitt in action on top means Montana underneath).
This too. Make sure you buy from a reliable source.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

15 cards per pack, 36 packs per wax box for 1981 topps football, that's 540 cards per box. There are 528 cards in the set, so chances are you'll get one Montana, but it's far from a guarantee.

1986-87 fleer had 432 cards per wax box, and had 132 cards in the set--likelihood is that you'd get at least 2 and most of the time 3 Jordan's per box--again never a guarantee.
Drdduet is offline   Reply With Quote