Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #51 (permalink)

Gabbert, Romo, Sanchez

The guy needs someone to throw to.
fullmetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsharp View Post
I hate Mark Sanchez but I would trade Ponder for him in a second.

Christian Ponder is simply incapable of throwing a deep pass.

It's embarrassing to watch. I would take Tavaris back at this point (never in a million years did I think I would ever utter those words).
You meant incapable of throwing easy short passes!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #53 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to slappybag

They should trade for Tebow!
slappybag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #54 (permalink)

I don't think Ponder is any better than Gabby. Jags has far worst O-line and receiving crops protecting him to throw comfortably.

Gabby will be an easier winner in Vikes than Ponder.
jbettis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #55 (permalink)

Josh Johnson (formerly of the Tampa Bay Bucs and San Fran 49ers), is currently in the free agent pool. He would fit perfectly in Minnesota. We should hold a twitter rally to give him a look.
mcgahee21nfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #56 (permalink)
Banned

Gabbert actually had a good first drive last week until he got knocked out lol.
Haiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
Blaine Gabbert would have something to say about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
Seriously how dare you say Gabbert isn't the worst QB in the NFL.
Gabbert is improving and has the youth and size to develop. He has improved a lot from last year. I think Ponder needs to throw downfield a bit more. Having guys like Percy Harvin and Jerome Simpson, there should be more downfield passes. Also Kyle Rudolph is so under used. They guy should be Ponders best friend out there yet he isnt getting more than 2-3 looks a game.

Kevin
Old 10-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #58 (permalink)

Will we ever be a non-knee jerk society?

Would I have drafted Ponder where they did? Definitely not, but look at the others taken around him. He is doing consistently better than pretty much all of them (including Cam right now).

Kids these days just can't wait their turns or be patient. They think that grabbing a player in the first means they must turn into a SUPERSTAR over night. I blame Madden (the game, not the person).
bern024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #59 (permalink)

Didn't I see Mooch doing a bit on Ponder last night, talking about how great his mechanics are and how impressed he is with Ponder? I think if anyone would recognize a quality QB, he'd be in the group photo, right?
Old 10-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #60 (permalink)

[QUOTE=briscogun;3540710]Didn't I see Mooch doing a bit on Ponder last night, talking about how great his mechanics are and how impressed he is with Ponder? I think if anyone would recognize a quality QB, he'd be in the group photo, right?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the same guy that drafted Jim Drunkenmiller to be the air apparent to Steve Young.

I can't tell if you're serious or not?
razorsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason122883 View Post
I do agree with you. He is not a QB that could take a team to the Superbowl
why not? rex grossman did it
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbettis32 View Post
I don't think Ponder is any better than Gabby. Jags has far worst O-line and receiving crops protecting him to throw comfortably.

Translation please!!!
jusdukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbettis32 View Post

As a Jags fan and watching every game Gabbert has played here, I would have to go with a huge NO on that one. The O-line is pretty bad here, but Gabbert is just about worthless.
bern024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #64 (permalink)
Banned

Percy Harvin leads the league in RAC, that should say something about ponder and I'm not a sanchez fan at all but give him a back like AP and I'm sure he can put up better numbers than Pondy.
Haiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevJo View Post
Gabbert is improving and has the youth and size to develop. He has improved a lot from last year. I think Ponder needs to throw downfield a bit more. Having guys like Percy Harvin and Jerome Simpson, there should be more downfield passes. Also Kyle Rudolph is so under used. They guy should be Ponders best friend out there yet he isnt getting more than 2-3 looks a game.

Kevin
The thing about Ponder is that if the play is design to go to a certain player, he'll throw it there even if there's 3 defenders there. Dude just doesn't have the vision or skills to see the whole field and change accordingly to what the defense is giving you.

Now granted, that might take a few years to develop but you can just tell if a guy has it or not and Christian is one that doesn't have it and most likely never will.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #66 (permalink)

I hate being a Ponder apologist, but that game was not all his fault. On the passing plays, he was not given any time to throw, was knocked around, and had major problems with the receivers catching his passes.

The fade to Harvin was a great example of what he is capable of, but other than throwing to Harvin and handing off to Peterson, there is NOTHING he can do. Simpson was shown the door in Cincy for a reason, and his other targets are Michael Jenkins and Steven Burton? Cmon.

Get him a guy next year to throw to, and he will have better results.

Not saying he is good enough to make bad receivers into good receivers like Rodgers can, but he is far above some of the other QBs in this league.

My Teddy Bridgewater Collection: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/Gellman/a/teddy-bridgewater
deltapi1049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #67 (permalink)
MSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevJo View Post

Kevin
Harvin is not a downfield threat. Just because he's fast doesn't make him a deep threat. Remember all those deep throws Favre put up for Harvin? Oh wait. Jerome Simpson is just a mess, don't you think the Bengals would have gladly gave him the $2M needed to keep him to help Dalton if he was worth anything. And Rudolph has great receiving ability, but he's just so slow. Notice how during every catch he's made, there's a guy draped all over him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku View Post
Percy Harvin leads the league in RAC, that should say something about ponder and I'm not a sanchez fan at all but give him a back like AP and I'm sure he can put up better numbers than Pondy.
The run game doesn't help Ponder at all. The Vikings see a nice 10 yard run, and decide to run PA instead running on the very next play. If you look closely the PA never works. The RB doesn't even attempt to take the fake handoff because they need to get up to the line to help block because odds are someone is coming through untouched..

Quote:
Originally Posted by allday_vikes View Post
The thing about Ponder is that if the play is design to go to a certain player, he'll throw it there even if there's 3 defenders there. Dude just doesn't have the vision or skills to see the whole field and change accordingly to what the defense is giving you.

Now granted, that might take a few years to develop but you can just tell if a guy has it or not and Christian is one that doesn't have it and most likely never will.
He hasn't done that since like Week 2..he's grown out of it. And Josh Freeman never threw in double coverage in this game..

What did Ponder even do wrong in this game though? If you were calling for his head after last week, I'd understand, but he played pretty well..
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
Harvin is not a downfield threat. Just because he's fast doesn't make him a deep threat. Remember all those deep throws Favre put up for Harvin? Oh wait. Jerome Simpson is just a mess, don't you think the Bengals would have gladly gave him the $2M needed to keep him to help Dalton if he was worth anything. And Rudolph has great receiving ability, but he's just so slow. Notice how during every catch he's made, there's a guy draped all over him.

The run game doesn't help Ponder at all. The Vikings see a nice 10 yard run, and decide to run PA instead running on the very next play. If you look closely the PA never works. The RB doesn't even attempt to take the fake handoff because they need to get up to the line to help block because odds are someone is coming through untouched..

He hasn't done that since like Week 2..he's grown out of it. And Josh Freeman never threw in double coverage in this game..

What did Ponder even do wrong in this game though? If you were calling for his head after last week, I'd understand, but he played pretty well.
Really? We both must be watching a different game then. What about the one play where he rolled out to his right and threw to Simpson in coverage when he could have thrown an underneath pass to Harvin?

And he played pretty well yesterday? Dude couldn't even tossed a pitch let alone thrown a pass!
Old 10-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #69 (permalink)

Christian Pennington

Incoming -
Outgoing -
DetectiveChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #70 (permalink)

Funny, after 4 weeks Ponder was being praised NON-STOP!
Ballerskrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #71 (permalink)

It's not Ponder! It's Musgrave!
Old 10-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #72 (permalink)

vikings fan also... yea, hes played totally different last 2 games... when he does throw they have been bad desicions... i dont know what he was doing last night was just ugly
Old 10-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles01987 View Post
It's not Ponder! It's Musgrave!
^^^^^^^^
jusdukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #74 (permalink)
MSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by allday_vikes View Post
Really? We both must be watching a different game then. What about the one play where he rolled out to his right and threw to Simpson in coverage when he could have thrown an underneath pass to Harvin?

And he played pretty well yesterday? Dude couldn't even tossed a pitch let alone thrown a pass!
Clearly we are. Which play are you talking about? The one before the end of the half? He tries to force the issue at the end of halves, how does that say anything about his vision and ability to see the field?

He missed 2 swing passes to Harvin and threw a god awful pass at the end of the half. Did you completely forget about the rest of the game? He made a couple of key 3rd down passes on that drive near the end of the half to keep the game in reach, had that TD pass to Harvin, the perfectly thrown ball down the sideline to Simpson. The guy had 2 players fumble in the middle of important drives, his center killed a drive all on his own, and a defense that allowed 30 pts in 3 quarters. Given they were on the field for a while, but they simply did not stop the Bucs when they needed to. We might as well blame the 5-6 unblocked rushers on Ponder to, clearly that's his fault..
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #75 (permalink)

You all talk as though Ponder calls his own plays! It's not him. Musgrave is to blame for calling similar plays over and over trying to force the long ball. Run the ball, establish a lead and then you can try to get creative. Ponder has flourished, prior to his latest games, in the short passing game. While you can't continue that forever, at least you win and give your kid confidence! The Vikes also did nothing in the off season (pickin up Simpson is not considered something) to help wit a deep threat. There were players out there to pick up and they didn't even try.