Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #76 (permalink)

Obviously, he's not calling his own plays! Not gonna give him that much credit but at least adjust and if your first option isn't there, look else where.

MSD,

You can find what you may to blame other than Ponder, but at the end of the day, Ponder's plays will never get the Vikings anywhere. How many games did he win for the team? The only one he made a difference in was the 49ers game. Other than that, you can give credit to the defense and ST for the rest.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #77 (permalink)

Dear Mr. Ponder,

Thank you for temporarily taking the 'worst qb in the league' discussion off Wilson.

Until Sunday.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #78 (permalink)
MSD

You haven't seen the plays. Ponder always progresses his reads across the field if the line gives him time. On pass plays the Vikings usually only have one or two receivers on the field. He only has a couple of options to go to and that usually gets cut in half or to only 1 when Musgrave calls the PA rollout. He doesn't have many options.

Let's see, in JAX, he got them into FG range with 20 seconds left in the game after the defense gave up a 50 yd passing TD with half a minute left. Game 2, drove them back from a 2 TD deficit for the defense to let Luck drive downfield in under a minute, then the 49ers, he didn't need or was asked to do anything in the Ttans game, Redskins game is on him although his defense, play calls and taking AD/Harvin out in the RZ didn't help, Cardinals game was one of the worst QB'd games of the year, TB..no QB would have led the Vikings to win, TB could've scored 45+ if they didnt have comfortable lead.

I'll come out and say that in a week and half, Ponder will destroy the best secondary in the league.
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allday_vikes View Post
You meant incapable of throwing easy short passes!

yet he's in the top 10 in completion percentage for QB's......
duwal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
yet he's in the top 10 in completion percentage for QB's......
Helps keeping them within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.
burke23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #81 (permalink)

Ponder just keeps getting worse.

I wouldn't mind seeing Webb at this point.
razorsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #82 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsharp View Post
And it's not even close.

I am so sick and tired as a Vikings fan watching this guy. I have never in my life seen a guy that is so afraid to throw the ball down field. I would take any starting QB in the NFL right now over him.
thats funny, a few weeks ago he was amazing on and the rise!!! Remember when they beat my 9ers back then?
Everybody is so damn kneejerk its rediculous. Next week he might be great again...lol
Trueduckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #83 (permalink)

Blaine Gabbert hands down

GO TRIBE
ShadeTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueduckfan View Post
thats funny, a few weeks ago he was amazing on and the rise!!! Remember when they beat my 9ers back then?
Everybody is so damn kneejerk its rediculous. Next week he might be great again...lol
A few weeks ago?

It's been over a month and half since the Vikings played the 49ers.

Ponder hasn't had a good game since then. In fact, he's been absolutely horrendous.
razorsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #85 (permalink)
Banned

good thing i sold his stuff when he was hot!
sljock53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Ponder wasn't that good. He had 3 or 4 passes that should have been picked off.
azviking101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 AM   #87 (permalink)
MSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by azviking101 View Post
Ponder wasn't that good. He had 3 or 4 passes that should have been picked off.
He had one where the receiver fell down and another possible pick. Dalton had 4 surefire interception passes today but only had one interception to round off the day.

I'm starting to lose faith in Ponder though. He's so inaccurate these days and he actually had some plays with open receivers, not wide open, but good enough.

The saddest part is even though I've barely looked over the plays from the past few weeks on nfl.com i could predict a bunch of the plays the vikings ran. They only have about 4 or 5 formations and probably 2-3 passing plays for each formation.
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 AM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:

yeah people sure are being unfairly harsh on him. He has a better completion percentage than 23 other QBs in the league and has thrown more TD passes than INTs yet somehow some try and make the case that he is the worst in the league. Guess must be missing something why he isn't lighting the league up with throwing to Michael Jenkins, Kyle Rudolph and Devin Aromashodu as his secondary receivers
duwal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #89 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

He has no time to throw. Where is the offensive line in Viking country?
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
yeah people sure are being unfairly harsh on him. He has a better completion percentage than 23 other QBs in the league and has thrown more TD passes than INTs yet somehow some try and make the case that he is the worst in the league. Guess must be missing something why he isn't lighting the league up with throwing to Michael Jenkins, Kyle Rudolph and Devin Aromashodu as his secondary receivers
It's not all his fault, but him sucking doesn't help the situation. He has 0 confidence and is too skittish to sit in the pocket and let anything other than a dump pass develop. When he does have time to throw more than 10 yards down field, he doesn't have the accuracy to do it. He's brutal and is the sole reason the Vikes won't make the playoffs.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #91 (permalink)

VikingsAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
You obviously don't watch the Vikings every week. This last performance was the worst I've ever seen from a QB. He's not even trying to make good throws. He throws it 5 yards and it's not even close to the receiver, takes a sack, or runs for 1 yard. Any pressure in his face at all and he is falling to the ground before being touched.
His completion percentage, while high is not right because he doesn't throw deep. Ponder's play by play on ESPN should be; Ponder throws short for 1 yard, Ponder throws medium for 3 yards, and Ponder throws deep for 5 yards. And now, he can't even complete his "deep" 5 yard throws.
He had good blocking, receivers were getting open and Musgrave actually did a better job calling plays than usual. Ponder's fails lost the game yesterday and while Musgrave and Frazier were stupid enough to continue calling pass plays and leaving him in the game, the blame lands on Ponder.
I've seen Ponder for 18 games now and I have never been very convinced, but now I am convinced that he sucks.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
He had plenty of time to throw yesterday.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
They sure made room to run. AP had lots of daylight to start of a lot of those runs.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azviking101 View Post
He had plenty of time to throw yesterday.
No he did not. And even if he did, there were very few open WRs.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
AP had 182 yards on 17 carriers. Averaging 10.7 yards per carry. Throw in 2 touchdowns.

Offensive line was there.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #97 (permalink)

It really ticks me off watching the Vikes offense. AP is running great, averaging like 10+ yards a carry, then they decide to throw the stupid ball. It makes me wonder if Ponder actually wants to win the game. Stand in the pocket for 10 sec, try to scramble out, and eventually get sacked. Not even try to throw the ball away. Check. Throw a pass either 10 yards short or above your receiver. Check. Throw a 2 yard pass to someone on a 3 & 15. Check. If the coaching staff doesn't even consider benching him, I feel sorry for every Vikes fan that has tickets to the next game. I can't wait for the first drive of the game when it is a 3 & out with one or two incompletions. The Vikes crowd will let everyone know how they feel.
Current Wantlist: Tiger Woods autographed framed memorabilia, Autograph baseballs of H. Killebrew, R. Carew, K. Puckett, B. Blyleven, M. Kemp, C. Kershaw, S. Castro, E. Longoria, and R. Cano. Must be from reputable authenticators (JSA, UDA, Steiner, etc.)
jand8791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #98 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Ponder's lost all confidence but, once again, I'll state that Musgrave has no business being an OC. They've run the bubble screen so much that it's about to become retro, packaged up by UD and suddenly cool again.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #99 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

Joe Webb time?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
The saddest part is even though I've barely looked over the plays from the past few weeks on nfl.com i could predict a bunch of the plays the vikings ran. They only have about 4 or 5 formations and probably 2-3 passing plays for each formation.
For this reason, I'm guessing Musgrave will get thrown under the bus if the offense continues to underperform, not Ponder. I'm not saying it's fair, but I'm guessing that's what will happen.

My only real knock is when you keep calling passing plays when they obviously aren't working, meanwhile you have a RB who is averaging over 10 YPC and you can't even give him some carries?

Ponder made some horrid throws which ruined drives whic his on him, but the plays being called left little to the imagination.

Lots of [???], [Missing] and #N/A at ROCK BOTTOM PRICES!
Chaddie84 is offline   Reply With Quote