Blowout Cards Forums
ebay event 8.25.14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
TheBurg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,563
Default I have a crazy, crazy idea to explain why Romo is "sucking".

He was an undrafted QB! What if he's overachieving, and this is all he's got? Is it fair to expect more from a player who most teams did not deem worthy of a roster spot? Just some thoughts that should put Romo's "failures" in perspective.
__________________
Looking For High End Steelers 1/1s
TheBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Qwasian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 9,683
Default

the team and style of team he's on just doesn't have a good work ethic and makes stupid mistakes constantly. the flashy owner and attitudes on the team make for a bad combo in my opinion....... he actually has pretty good numbers to be honest.
__________________
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Qwasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
TheBurg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
the team and style of team he's on just doesn't have a good work ethic and makes stupid mistakes constantly. the flashy owner and attitudes on the team make for a bad combo in my opinion....... he actually has pretty good numbers to be honest.
His numbers have always been good, I'm more talking about the "choking" aspect, etc. I think Romo is towards the bottom of the list of QBs I'd want to start a team with, but who could expect more mental fortitude from a player who went undrafted for a reason?
__________________
Looking For High End Steelers 1/1s
TheBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
MarshallCutler6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,463
Default

Kurt Warner was undrafted too, and look how he turned out. I guess thats like a 1:1,000,000 occurence though.
__________________
Collecting anything that interests me.
#TeamConnor
MarshallCutler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
TheBurg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallCutler6 View Post
Kurt Warner was undrafted too, and look how he turned out. I guess thats like a 1:1,000,000 occurence though.
Agreed. If you go back in time and say to the Cowboys "This is what you'll get from Tony Romo", would anyone be complaining now? My point is that Romo's mental incapacities as a football player shouldn't be a surprise. Instead, it should be considered a poison that you're more than happy to accept for getting a starting QB out of an undrafted player.
__________________
Looking For High End Steelers 1/1s
TheBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
dashcounter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,649
Default

Warner went undrafted and won an MVP and Super Bowl and that Tom guy in Boston almost went undrafted and had a decent career.

cant let where he get drafted or not drafted dictate his lack of clutchness.
__________________
Always looking for Kevin Johnson Autos, Jerseys, Patches and Parallels

Also looking for Emma Watson and Kat Dennings
dashcounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Qwasian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 9,683
Default

I honestly wouldn't say it's him choking..... the team just doesn't have the work ethic to execute at anytime... that comes from being lazy.

you see peyton manning on everybody's ass constantly and practicing, same with tom brady, that's how they pull that off...... constant practice and leadership. so when they really need to pull one off they have a better chance, if the cowboys were winning all the time nobody would care about his mistakes, it would just get overlooked, but since it's leading to losses, they drill it on espn.

brady rodgers manning make mistakes constantly, they just keep going and win.
__________________
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Qwasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
TheBurg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
I honestly wouldn't say it's him choking..... the team just doesn't have the work ethic to execute at anytime... that comes from being lazy.

you see peyton manning on everybody's ass constantly and practicing, same with tom brady, that's how they pull that off...... constant practice and leadership. so when they really need to pull one off they have a better chance, if the cowboys were winning all the time nobody would care about his mistakes, it would just get overlooked, but since it's leading to losses, they drill it on espn.

brady rodgers manning make mistakes constantly, they just keep going and win.
I think my point is that, we assumed Romo would continue to get better, whereas it would have been much more logical for him to plateau.
__________________
Looking For High End Steelers 1/1s
TheBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
mikeyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 3,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBurg View Post
I think my point is that, we assumed Romo would continue to get better, whereas it would have been much more logical for him to plateau.
Everyone that continues to play the game as much as him should continue to learn and get better. That just comes with the experience. He just lacks the work ethic to make it happen.
__________________
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/mikeyp

Last edited by mikeyp; 10-29-2012 at 07:38 PM.
mikeyp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,526
Default

Live by the big play, die by the big play. The Boyz haven't been able to sustain drives for several years now.
Great teams have solid or better defenses, and solid defenses dont let the big plays happen to them when it matters most.
__________________
Over 3500 Marinos with 330+ memorabilia cards (100 of which are auto'd)
http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q290/collegetim916
[B]Marino Most Wanted:
1) 13 UD Nationals Infinite
marinocollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: oklahoma city oklahoma
Posts: 970
Default

Tom Brady didnt go undrafted he was taken in the 7th round.

As far as Romo (OH-NO) goes it seems time in and time out if the game is close and the Boys have the ball with 2-4 minutes left Romo always drives the ball down field and gets really close to scoring but cant get the job done via mistakes ETC not all his fault though some are penaltys some are recievers dropping the ball and some is the Oline breaking down either way Romo most of the time always puts the team in position to win but for the most part cant get the job done its just a tease.

On a side note it would be really interesting to see his draft chart coming out of college meaning his college football review. There is absolutley a reason why he went undrafted I mean did he ever get the job done in college how good was his team at Eastern Illinois? If somebody could do some research on that it would be really nice to know if he was always this way?
dallasfan671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 1,709
Default

The Cowboys are just the definition of dysfunctional. Romo must shoulder some blame for what is going on, but there are 10 other guys on offense around him. Offensive line needs to step up. Jason Witten is the only consistent piece he has right now. I think there is a major lack of strong leadership on the locker room and it's pretty clear.

In all honesty, the problems are completely top down for this team. Jerry Jones is a fantastic owner, but he has proven he is an awful GM. Jason Garrett should not be a head coach and the team would be more successful right now if Wade Phillips was still around. The talent level has always been there, but the Cowboys are a joke every year. I really feel sorry for guys like Romo and Ware.
Seanathan297 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
TheBurg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasfan671 View Post
Tom Brady didnt go undrafted he was taken in the 7th round.

As far as Romo (OH-NO) goes it seems time in and time out if the game is close and the Boys have the ball with 2-4 minutes left Romo always drives the ball down field and gets really close to scoring but cant get the job done via mistakes ETC not all his fault though some are penaltys some are recievers dropping the ball and some is the Oline breaking down either way Romo most of the time always puts the team in position to win but for the most part cant get the job done its just a tease.

On a side note it would be really interesting to see his draft chart coming out of college meaning his college football review. There is absolutley a reason why he went undrafted I mean did he ever get the job done in college how good was his team at Eastern Illinois? If somebody could do some research on that it would be really nice to know if he was always this way?
Nope, Brady was a 6th round pick
__________________
Looking For High End Steelers 1/1s
TheBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
FanboyOfNone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,528
Default

I'm still not fully convinced he's a complete choker. His fourth quarter stats have always been solid. He can't do it alone.

He's playing worse than last season, but his OL might be somehow worse too. Seemed like 8 of the last 10 plays against the Giants were complete OL collapses. Fumblin' Felix didn't help in the fourth and he got stuffed all game. Bryant's dropped punt return and subsequent fumble didn't help matters. He's working with Witten, sometimes Austin, and a patchwork of players that refuse to cohere into a team.
FanboyOfNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
TheBurg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboyOfNone View Post
I'm still not fully convinced he's a complete choker. His fourth quarter stats have always been solid. He can't do it alone.

He's playing worse than last season, but his OL might be somehow worse too. Seemed like 8 of the last 10 plays against the Giants were complete OL collapses. Fumblin' Felix didn't help in the fourth and he got stuffed all game. Bryant's dropped punt return and subsequent fumble didn't help matters. He's working with Witten, sometimes Austin, and a patchwork of players that refuse to cohere into a team.
It. Has. Nothing. To. Do. With. Stats. In. The. Fourth. Quarter. You. Win. Or. You. Lose.
__________________
Looking For High End Steelers 1/1s
TheBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 788
Default

I tend to agree with this line of reasoning. For a guy who was undrafted, he's done amazing but there has to be a reason he went undrafted and I think Romo might have just hit his ceiling as a QB.

When you examine his total game--mental, physical, leadership, clutch gene--he's an average QB. That's it.

I actually think he's pretty similar to Big Ben. Both of them are decent QBs but they are only as good as the talent around them. Both have the ability to win a game here and there but can't really do that consistently week in and week out. The difference is that Big Ben plays for a much better organization and has had the talent around him to win 2 Super Bowls.
blevins26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Verufian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bonney Lake, WA
Posts: 1,864
Default

__________________
Photobucket - http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l292/Verufian/
KYLE SEAGER SUPER COLLECTOR!!!
Always looking for Current Mariners / Seahawks auto's.
Verufian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
HBMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 8,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins26 View Post
I tend to agree with this line of reasoning. For a guy who was undrafted, he's done amazing but there has to be a reason he went undrafted and I think Romo might have just hit his ceiling as a QB.

When you examine his total game--mental, physical, leadership, clutch gene--he's an average QB. That's it.

I actually think he's pretty similar to Big Ben. Both of them are decent QBs but they are only as good as the talent around them. Both have the ability to win a game here and there but can't really do that consistently week in and week out. The difference is that Big Ben plays for a much better organization and has had the talent around him to win 2 Super Bowls.
That's a pretty damn good ceiling for a guy who went to Eastern Illinois (which is tiny!) and went undrafted. He just passed Roger Staubach for 2nd on the Career Yardage mark and will probably have the team record when it's all said & done.
Had Dez's hand been in the endzone instead of the back line, he would've set the Cowboys single game record for yardage. It's not that he loses, he loses by the most ridiculous ways, multiple volleyball interceptions last year (and one this year), guys whiffing on their routes, guys whiffing in Pass Protection, a very inconsistent running game. So it's not all him, but he's certainly not blameless.
__________________
I PC: Dallas Cowboys, Arkansas Razorbacks, StL Cards, KC Chiefs
http://s1092.photobucket.com/albums/i413/hogsboysmavscards/
Searching for a 14 UD Chris Smith B&W #'d/10
Andrew Luck
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
FanboyOfNone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMC View Post
That's a pretty damn good ceiling for a guy who went to Eastern Illinois (which is tiny!) and went undrafted. He just passed Roger Staubach for 2nd on the Career Yardage mark and will probably have the team record when it's all said & done.
Had Dez's hand been in the endzone instead of the back line, he would've set the Cowboys single game record for yardage. It's not that he loses, he loses by the most ridiculous ways, multiple volleyball interceptions last year (and one this year), guys whiffing on their routes, guys whiffing in Pass Protection, a very inconsistent running game. So it's not all him, but he's certainly not blameless.
This is the truth.

I also like the Big Ben comparison. His defense alone won him at least one of his two rings. You can't ignore the organization a QB plays for.
FanboyOfNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
HBMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 8,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboyOfNone View Post
This is the truth.

I also like the Big Ben comparison. His defense alone won him at least one of his two rings. You can't ignore the organization a QB plays for.
The Steelers are one of the most well run franchises in the NFL, 3 coaches in 50 years is pretty impressive, one family has controlled the franchise throughout its exsistence and they draft players that fit their schemes well.

Dallas needs to just get lucky with a few of these draft picks and a lot will improve (hopefully a really good Guard or Center, Barrett Jones would suffice, he's versatile and smart, and can flat play, plus he's a winner). The roster just went from one of the oldest to one of the youngest in two seasons, I guess these are growing pains.
__________________
I PC: Dallas Cowboys, Arkansas Razorbacks, StL Cards, KC Chiefs
http://s1092.photobucket.com/albums/i413/hogsboysmavscards/
Searching for a 14 UD Chris Smith B&W #'d/10
Andrew Luck

Last edited by HBMC; 10-30-2012 at 12:33 AM.
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
FanboyOfNone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMC View Post
The Steelers are one of the most well run franchises in the NFL, 3 coaches in 50 years is pretty impressive, one family has controlled the franchise throughout its exsistence and they draft players that fit their schemes well.

Dallas needs to just get lucky with a few of these draft picks and a lot will improve (hopefully a really good Guard or Center, Barrett Jones would suffice, he's versatile and smart, and can flat play, plus he's a winner). The roster just went from one of the oldest to one of the youngest in two seasons, I guess these are growing pains.
As long as we can fix the OL somehow...I'll be happy as hell next season.

Afterall, we did plenty for the defense in one year.
FanboyOfNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
jimssouvenirs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 5,544
Default

I honestly believe most of the QB problems in the NFL could be solved by teams simply trading for back-ups on other squads.
__________________
Theme of the Night: Song Lyrics
jimssouvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
TX_OutLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Garland, TX
Posts: 1,038
Default

Well if you listen to Romo's interviews after the game, Its the same mopey excuses every single time. How many times are you going to change Head Coaches? How many players are you going to bring in and let go thinking "Oh they just are not fit for our Cowboy Organization" ... Big Time Money on this guy Big Time Money on this guy but they don't work ????? Stop and look at the guy in the middle of the pack wearing the number 9... Yeah>>> Him.. Tony Romo he obviously is not going to take us any where JERRY JONES with his PISS POOR PERFORMANCES that he gives TIME AND TIME AGAIN!! I am done putting the blame on any other player other than ROMO!!! Ever think he has decent numbers because of the players around him ???? I mean C'mon you need ONE YARD for a first down and you RUN BACKWARDS .. WTH??
__________________
Throw down your umbilical noose so I can climb right back
Hey! Wait! I've got a new complaint!


PC: Jason Witten,Nolan Ryan,Johnny Bench,Dallas Cowboys,Texas Rangers,HOF'ers
TX_OutLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:56 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
TX_OutLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Garland, TX
Posts: 1,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimssouvenirs View Post
I honestly believe most of the QB problems in the NFL could be solved by teams simply trading for back-ups on other squads.
Really would be nice if we had a decent QB backup all this money spent and none on a decent backup QB when you know your starter is prone to CHOKING!!
__________________
Throw down your umbilical noose so I can climb right back
Hey! Wait! I've got a new complaint!


PC: Jason Witten,Nolan Ryan,Johnny Bench,Dallas Cowboys,Texas Rangers,HOF'ers
TX_OutLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
jeg2315's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyp View Post
Everyone that continues to play the game as much as him should continue to learn and get better. That just comes with the experience. He just lacks the work ethic to make it happen.
It doesn't always work that way no matter how many times people say it. Hard work and experience are not guaranteed to lead to continual improvement.

In terms of professional sports, one's physical and mental capacities come into play, and it really isn't possible to continually improve those traits...not "legally" anyway. Player's indeed do plateau, it is simply that people exercise an availability bias with guys like Warner and Brady.
jeg2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.