Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 05:54 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suki24 View Post
12/8 TD/INT ratio. 62% cmp. 89 rating. Far from elite status.
2 Superbowl victories say diffrent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbtvs View Post
Have you even watched a Giants game in the last 2 years? It's not all about base statistics.
Dont tell this to Carolina fans. Its all about the statsWhen you have nothing else to cling too and not a shred of hope for the future that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt54650 View Post
Because of his 4th quarter performance and his two Super Bowl wins. I have a hard time saying he is among the best as well. I just think he has a horseshoe up his you know what.
Yup, no skill involved there what so ever. 1st pick in the draft, 2 superbowl titles and a mountain on money because of his skills. All luck,no talent. People say the same thing about Kobe. hes "lucky" he makes all those circus shots. He sure gets" lucky" an awful lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Two Super Bowl Rings puts a QB in a pretty elite class.
Super Bowl victories mean nothing. Stats and flashy moves are all that matter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
Which is probably why I should've drafted his brother Peyton in my fantasy draft instead of Eli (although it was tough to get over the supposed will he ever be 100% again stuff with Peyton).

If you go by statistics he's been outperformed by guys like Josh Freeman, Andy Dalton and Ryan Fitzpatrick this year but please don't suggest they are "better" than Eli.
Ryan Fitzpatrick is awesome and far better then Eli.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku View Post
The most important stat is Win or loss.
Someone making sense. I like it. Did you know that Eli Manning has twice as many SuperBowl victories then Cam Newton has wins this year.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #52 (permalink)

You all keep arguing about Eli not being elite and I'll gladly sit back and watch him win Super Bowls.
Jbjints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:07 AM   #53 (permalink)

I love it how everyone credits the Giants 24th ranked defense with our 6-2 record........it can't be the 4th ranked offense.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:07 AM   #54 (permalink)

With the exception of Dan Marino. Most QBS who are considered elite have superbowl victories under thier belt.

Last edited by cking; 10-30-2012 at 06:10 AM.
cking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking View Post
Yup, no skill involved there what so ever. 1st pick in the draft, 2 superbowl titles and a mountain on money because of his skills. All luck,no talent. People say the same thing about Kobe. hes "lucky" he makes all those circus shots. He sure gets" lucky" an awful lot.
Unlike basketball, where Kobe can hold the ball for 18 seconds and drive past five defenders to score himself, or baseball, where Harper can hit a home run by himself...football requires multiple participants for any successful play. Unless Eli is singlehandedly breaking free for 80 yard TD runs right up the middle of the field for every TD, the boy has some help. Receivers, OL that rarely lets him get hit, etc...and his defense.

His draft placement means nothing at this point. His rings weren't won by One Man Team Eli (TM). The GIANTS won two rings with him at the helm.

Aikman won three Super Bowls. Do I think he would have won them without his stellar supporting cast? Hell no. He could have won 0 had he played for a different team. Same for Eli.

Rings are a terrible measure of talent when you're looking at a 53 man roster. Put Tannehill on the 49ers right now and he'd be praised. Put Brees, Rodgers, Eli...anyone on the Bills and they'd be forgotten in two seasons.
FanboyOfNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboyOfNone View Post
Unlike basketball, where Kobe can hold the ball for 18 seconds and drive past five defenders to score himself, or baseball, where Harper can hit a home run by himself...football requires multiple participants for any successful play. Unless Eli is singlehandedly breaking free for 80 yard TD runs right up the middle of the field for every TD, the boy has some help. Receivers, OL that rarely lets him get hit, etc...and his defense.

His draft placement means nothing at this point. His rings weren't won by One Man Team Eli (TM). The GIANTS won two rings with him at the helm.

Aikman won three Super Bowls. Do I think he would have won them without his stellar supporting cast? Hell no. He could have won 0 had he played for a different team. Same for Eli.

Rings are a terrible measure of talent when you're looking at a 53 man roster. Put Tannehill on the 49ers right now and he'd be praised. Put Brees, Rodgers, Eli...anyone on the Bills and they'd be forgotten in two seasons.
I dont think I have ever heard a more strange comment on here ever. So you are saying Joe Montana had no talent because he had great recievers. Thats wierd because the HOF sure thinks he had some talent. I think, and I could be wrong but Trent Dilfer and maybe Mark Rypien were the only two exceptions to this. Dilfer was horrible. Rypien had a nice , but very short nrun.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
2 Superbowl victories say diffrent

Dont tell this to Carolina fans. Its all about the statsWhen you have nothing else to cling too and not a shred of hope for the future that is.

Super Bowl victories mean nothing. Stats and flashy moves are all that matter

Ryan Fitzpatrick is awesome and far better then Eli.

Someone making sense. I like it. Did you know that Eli Manning has twice as many SuperBowl victories then Cam Newton has wins this year.
This is also Cam's 2nd season.... This is Eli's 9th......
Copeskey45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
I dont think I have ever heard a more strange comment on here ever. So you are saying Joe Montana had no talent because he had great recievers. Thats wierd because the HOF sure thinks he had some talent. I think, and I could be wrong but Trent Dilfer and maybe Mark Rypien were the only two exceptions to this. Dilfer was horrible. Rypien had a nice , but very short nrun.
That wasn't how I meant it to be interpreted at all.

Joe Montana would still be spectacular if you took away all four rings. A great QB is a great QB, regardless of rings.

But he DID have help. In the form of 52 other players. Solid defense throughout and a number of amazing Pro Bowlers on that defense. I'm saying what I've been saying all along. The NFL is, more than any other major sport, a team sport. Joe Montana was a spectacular player, who easily deserves his spot in the Hall. But he did not win every game without an OL, without a secondary, without targets. No player is a one man team.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
That wasn't how I meant it to be interpreted at all.

Joe Montana would still be spectacular if you took away all four rings. A great QB is a great QB, regardless of rings.

But he DID have help. In the form of 52 other players. Solid defense throughout and a number of amazing Pro Bowlers on that defense. I'm saying what I've been saying all along. The NFL is, more than any other major sport, a team sport. Joe Montana was a spectacular player, who easily deserves his spot in the Hall. But he did not win every game without an OL, without a secondary, without targets. No player is a one man team.
And this right here is the exact reason Carolina stinks.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
And this right here is the exact reason Carolina stinks.
Now you're just picking easy targets.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeskey45 View Post
I think most people don't put Eli in the "elite" category because well honestly he doesn't get as much hype as Rodgers, Brees, or Peyton. I think Eli is an amazing QB and he's doing a great job as the Giants QB.
Pretty much this. The media pays him very little attention compared to other "elite" QB's. He's not flashy but wins games. That's all I care about.
Ty Hope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:

I just learned that football is the only team sport. Kobe also won his rings all by himself. Shaq had nothing to do with Kobe's rings.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #63 (permalink)

What's up with this board and it's constant "elite" talk?
Viking4Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking4Alpha View Post
What's up with this board and it's constant "elite" talk?
Agreed. Who cares?

Bunch of Giants haters IMO.

Eli wins games. That is all that matters.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #65 (permalink)

You can't spell elite without eli
Old 10-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #66 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

Eli does not have the numbers to be elite this season. Not even top five. So alot of people say he is elite because he is clutch. So does that mean Tebow was elite last year?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackg1980 View Post
Eli does not have the numbers to be elite this season. Not even top five. So alot of people say he is elite because he is clutch. So does that mean Tebow was elite last year?
I don't think the Eli discussion has to do with this year but throughout his career. Please do not mention Tebow in the same breath with Eli Manning.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbjints View Post
I don't think the Eli discussion has to do with this year but throughout his career. Please do not mention Tebow in the same breath with Eli Manning.
This X 100
Old 10-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #69 (permalink)

Saying Eli is good because his team won two superbowls is just silly. I guess lawrence tynes is an elite kicker? Nobody ever says Berra is the greatest baseball player ever because he won the most championships. Eli is clutch, I will say that, but he is still only maybe top 5, he is definately behind Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers and possibly Ben.
Metsfan1121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
As long as people do not say he is elite because he is clutch then I will not have to. LOL. Just because he is clutch, does not mean he is elite. Just saying.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackg1980 View Post
As long as people do not say he is elite because he is clutch then I will not have to. LOL. Just because he is clutch, does not mean he is elite. Just saying.
I agree with that statement. He may not put up the numbers of Brees, Rodgers, Peyton, and Brady and he may not be in the same group but he is right there. One thing I have grown to love about Eli is no matter how many points down we are with Eli we always have a chance. He may still occasionally have the deer in the headlight look but no matter what he does for the remainder of his career he will always be a two time Super Bowl winning quarterback. I think he is only the 13th qb to have multiple rings. He beat Brady twice too .
Old 10-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #72 (permalink)

Swingin' for the fences, barbaric Kendrick in idle time
Kendrick Lamar
FreeMan12406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #73 (permalink)

Well this has stayed a pointless ignorant thread.....
Old 10-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree with that statement. He may not put up the numbers of Brees, Rodgers, Peyton, and Brady and he may not be in the same group but he is right there. One thing I have grown to love about Eli is no matter how many points down we are with Eli we always have a chance. He may still occasionally have the deer in the headlight look but no matter what he does for the remainder of his career he will always be a two time Super Bowl winning quarterback. I think he is only the 13th qb to have multiple rings. He beat Brady twice too .
I agree with what you said. But he is not better or even close to Peyton. Peyton may be the best QB of all time. Its sucks he played on a sorry team for most of his career. Eli is a very good QB on a very good team. But he only threw one TD against the Patriots who have the worse passing D in the Superbowl. That is not elite. The game would not have been close if Peyton was the QB for the Giants against the Patriots.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #75 (permalink)

I f I needed one QB to win a game right now.....

Eli

/thread