Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,709
Default Does anyone still think Matt Ryan is not a top 100 player?

I really hope he has that fodder pasted on his locker door.

If he plays angry, he may actually be able to crack the top 100 next year.
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 6,812
Default

What are you babbling about?
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
What are you babbling about?
You know, that nfl.com top 100 player list they publish each year before the season.
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 6,812
Default

He really never cracked the top 100? That's a pretty bad list then
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: COS, CO
Posts: 7,409
Default

I'm sure Michael "The Slow-Azz, Old Man" Turner is on that list. I'm pretty sure that I'm faster than him right now.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
burke23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 3,180
Default

Is it that big of a surprise? Before this year he had 0 playoff wins, and was maybe a top 10 qb. Considering the list would only allow for less than 5 players per team on average, I don't think its a shock he wasn't on someones top 100 list. Before this year I could think of maybe 10 qb's I would have taken before him. Now? Probably 5 or 6.
__________________
Bucket -http://s599.photobucket.com/albums/tt72/avrules2000
*Looking for rare/low numbered Randy Moss rookies (IE E-X Credentials, Skybox Rubies, PMGs, SP Gold Auto /18, etc)
*Also looking for 1997 PMG Red football for set
burke23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burke23 View Post
Is it that big of a surprise? Before this year he had 0 playoff wins, and was maybe a top 10 qb. Considering the list would only allow for less than 5 players per team on average, I don't think its a shock he wasn't on someones top 100 list. Before this year I could think of maybe 10 qb's I would have taken before him. Now? Probably 5 or 6.
Hey, did you end up winning the exquisite logo 1/1?
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
cking's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In my house
Posts: 9,576
Default

They probably rate Cam Newton over himTalk about heading in opposite directions
__________________
Always looking for Gridiron Kings cards. Framed,Autos,Jerseys and Patches.
cking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Carrbeaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,075
Default

He has top 100 whitest teeth.
__________________
If you ask me what is the least I will take, then I am going to respond with, "What is the most you are willing to pay?"
Carrbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
nera20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 14,590
Default

if they make the playoffs and win something then he will move way up, but if there history plays out they generally fade the second half of the season and he starts to slow down. I hope they don't repeat history I think hes a great qb but you have to prove yourself.
__________________
http://s1064.photobucket.com/albums/u380/mike11681/
I don't ship outside the USA.
nera20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,494
Default

if atlanta plays how theyre playing they will be on there way to a superbowl win
cardshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
IronMonkey415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 15,306
Default

His teeth are amazing.
__________________
Only shipping in the U.S.
IronMonkey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
FanboyOfNone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,714
Default

That Top 100 list is absurd anyway. The players vote on it right? Guess they even get caught up in the hype...

My one example should be enough. Tebow is on the list.
FanboyOfNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
ninjacookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Coast, formerly Mother Russia
Posts: 9,043
Default

Don't really see how he got the nickname 'ice' when he has yet to do a single thing in the playoffs.

You can win all the regular season games in the world and it doesn't mean anything in the end if you can't have any success in the postseason.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,238
Default

Can't believe he wasn't in the top 100 (where was this list you speak of?)

I know everyone is of the playoff =talent mentality or whatever but it is a team effort. (See the spanking the packers handed them in the playoffs)

To say he isn't in the top 100 just because of the Playoff's is kind of odd to me.

But I will also counter that his stats are probably slightly padded this year given his WR/TE core.
__________________
Buying all past and present Braves (in a Braves Uniform or in their system when the card was made). Also, looking for Falcons and UGA & GT Football Alumni (A.J. Green, Calvin Johnson, Matt Stafford, etc) http://s1358.photobucket.com/albums/q763/blakesbucketofphotos/ COMC account 800+ cards lowest prices on the site.
btmcrushers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
ninjacookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Coast, formerly Mother Russia
Posts: 9,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmcrushers View Post
Can't believe he wasn't in the top 100 (where was this list you speak of?)

I know everyone is of the playoff =talent mentality or whatever but it is a team effort. (See the spanking the packers handed them in the playoffs)

To say he isn't in the top 100 just because of the Playoff's is kind of odd to me.

But I will also counter that his stats are probably slightly padded this year given his WR/TE core.
It may be a team sport, but his numbers in the playoffs don't exactly scream 'ice,' unless you mean 'ice cold.'

Matt Ryan Playoffs Game Log - Pro-Football-Reference.com
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacookies View Post
It may be a team sport, but his numbers in the playoffs don't exactly scream 'ice,' unless you mean 'ice cold.'

Matt Ryan Playoffs Game Log - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Not the prettiest. Still don't think that alone would justify him not being top 100

I'm pretty sure Michael Jenkins is the reason he doesn't have a W. If i recall correctly he had like 2 dropped passes on the last drive of the game against Arizona 1 was for a 1st and the other he was wide open for either a big game or a TD
__________________
Buying all past and present Braves (in a Braves Uniform or in their system when the card was made). Also, looking for Falcons and UGA & GT Football Alumni (A.J. Green, Calvin Johnson, Matt Stafford, etc) http://s1358.photobucket.com/albums/q763/blakesbucketofphotos/ COMC account 800+ cards lowest prices on the site.
btmcrushers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
addicted36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 12,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nera20 View Post
if they make the playoffs and win something then he will move way up, but if there history plays out they generally fade the second half of the season and he starts to slow down. I hope they don't repeat history I think hes a great qb but you have to prove yourself.
don't look now but Matt Ryan's opponents so far this season are a combined 13 wins and 24 losses on the year. Wonder why they often fade? I'm not going so far as to say Matt Ryans not top 100 player in the NFL but I'm highly skeptical of him. He has the best supporting cast of all the teams in the NFL, that's not his fault but actually high praise for the Falcons front office. I just don't know if we'd be talking about him on another team without those receivers. Kinda like I'm not sold on Alex Smith yet either. Those two guys have to show me something
addicted36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
addicted36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 12,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboyOfNone View Post
That Top 100 list is absurd anyway. The players vote on it right? Guess they even get caught up in the hype...

My one example should be enough. Tebow is on the list.
Last year Tebow should have been on that list. Tebow resurrected the Broncos and won them a playoff game, which is alot more then guys like Matt Ryan can say. This year is different from last year.
addicted36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,709
Default

Let's see.....those who made this list over Ryan:

Tebow, Romo, Flacco, Stafford, Newton, Vick.....

I guess this list is sort of lame cause it really takes into account what a player hyped up the previous year.

Heck, Peyton made it despite not playing the entire year - go figure.
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
ninjacookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Coast, formerly Mother Russia
Posts: 9,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
Let's see.....those who made this list over Ryan:

Tebow, Romo, Flacco, Stafford, Newton, Vick.....

I guess this list is sort of lame cause it really takes into account what a player hyped up the previous year.

Heck, Peyton made it despite not playing the entire year - go figure.
Uh, the list was made BEFORE the season.

Tebow had an epic resurrection year last year, Romo had perhaps THE best second half of the season of any qb last year, Flacco (questionable, but did well in the playoffs), Stafford passed for over 5k yards, Newton broke just about every single season record, and Vick...well, Vick probably just got there on account of his name and athleticism.

Not really seeing what your point is?
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacookies View Post
Uh, the list was made BEFORE the season.

Tebow had an epic resurrection year last year, Romo had perhaps THE best second half of the season of any qb last year, Flacco (questionable, but did well in the playoffs), Stafford passed for over 5k yards, Newton broke just about every single season record, and Vick...well, Vick probably just got there on account of his name and athleticism.

Not really seeing what your point is?
My point is that the list is based simply on what the players remember how the players played the season before, ONLY, in fact, the last eight weeks of the season.

I guess the players are not NFL scouts or talent evaluators, and that's why I called the poll bogus.

Hopefully Ryan helps to shake the opposing players opinions a little bit this season...
hermanotarjeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
HBMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 8,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
Heck, Peyton made it despite not playing the entire year - go figure.
This list is done by the players, apparently they view Peyton Manning as pretty good and very valuable.

Considering the Colts went 2-14 last year without him, he is really valuable and one of the best. The Bronocos could be one of the better teams in the AFC this year thanks to Peyton.
__________________
I PC: Dallas Cowboys, Arkansas Razorbacks, StL Cards, KC Chiefs
http://s1092.photobucket.com/albums/i413/hogsboysmavscards/
Searching for a 14 UD Chris Smith B&W #'d/10
Andrew Luck
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
ninjacookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Coast, formerly Mother Russia
Posts: 9,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
My point is that the list is based simply on what the players remember how the players played the season before, ONLY, in fact, the last eight weeks of the season.

I guess the players are not NFL scouts or talent evaluators, and that's why I called the poll bogus.

Hopefully Ryan helps to shake the opposing players opinions a little bit this season...
I think Ryan (or any professional athletes, for that matter) could care less what their peers think of them, except their own teammates. Unless you were Lebron james pre-2011 and all he was getting was 'negative' press. He needs to win playoff games for himself and the Falcons...and we shall see if this year he finally turns it around
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.