Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   FOOTBALL (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football/)
-   -   How sympathetic would you be to buyers in NY? (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football/392415-how-sympathetic-would-you-buyers-ny.html)

hugh 11-02-2012 11:43 AM

How sympathetic would you be to buyers in NY?

So, a buyer did Buy It Now on Oct 27th and hasn't paid.

He lives in Liverpool NY. How sympathetic would you be if he hasn't answered any emails? Maybe he's in a homeless shleter or somewhere without email?

Are any of you in NY? How affected are you by the storm damage?

Forgive me because I'm in Italy, I don't know that much of the current situation

rtaylor16 11-02-2012 11:44 AM

give him a week or two to respond he could be without power and not able to get online.

zpk35 11-02-2012 11:45 AM

Liverpool is a Syracuse suburb- I grew up in that area and my parents still live there. They got a lot of rain but weren't nearly as affected as the NYC was. Syracuse is upstate, and the power (at least in my parents area) didn't go out. I live near Buffalo now which is 2 hours from Liverpool and our power didn't go out either, and everything is back to normal. Maybe he has family down state and is helping them out.

rtaylor16 11-02-2012 11:47 AM

[QUOTE=rtaylor16;3578396]give him a week or two to respond he could be without power and not able to get online.[/QUOTE]
disregard this he has no reason to not respond

Metsfan1121 11-02-2012 11:48 AM

I do not know about Liverpool but I'm from by and went to a shelter on Sunday and we still have not received electricity. It's very bad on long island.

hugh 11-02-2012 11:48 AM

hmmm, I looked up his user ID and he hasn't paid for a lot of items. He previously bought 2 items from me so I waited 5 days and sent 3-4 email before opening non-paying buyer alert...

bdubs3316 11-02-2012 11:50 AM

NJ, Long Island, and around NYC are VERY BAD when it comes to power. My in-laws have been told they won't have power for another 7-10 days. They live just outside of NYC in NJ.

If it's someone from the Jersey Shore, they could be out for a very considerable time, as it's a complete mess down there.

pierrethomasfan 11-02-2012 12:26 PM

Near the poconos in PA they could be without power for a month. I lost it for a few days but friends still don't have it back. Give him a couple weeks first

Jackg1980 11-02-2012 12:32 PM

Its scary that we got 3 once and a lifetime storms in the past 4 years. Katrina, Ike and now Sandy.

Drdduet 11-02-2012 01:23 PM

I'm in South Louisiana and after Katrina I lost my eBay account for too many nonpayments--after was all said and done I ended up with 9 nonpayments.

We spent 10+ days without power, worked around the clock taking care of displaced patients, and when the power did come back internet was sparse and comms were a mess. Further to that direct deposits, payroll, checks, etc were all delayed for weeks. Our banks were dead in the water for weeks as well. Most reputable organizations were understanding. Car loans, mortgages, utilities, credit card companies, etc all gave sufficient grace periods.

The one place I got grilled was on eBay.

With that being said, some buyers will take advantage of just about anything to get out of paying. To verify who deserves your grace or not, I recommend doing a little research--find out where they live and compare it to the path and destruction of Sandy.

Had any of the sellers who hammered me during a tremendously trying time bothered to consider and verify what I, my family, and community were dealing with, they may have given me a better chance to make good. I eventually made good on every transaction--but I can tell u this, during and for sometime after such a traumatic experience making good on eBay is not a high priority.

Trust but verify, be patient and give those truly affected some time.

friarbolt 11-02-2012 01:24 PM

Frankly five-six days is not uncommon for BIN buyers in general to wait to pay. I don't agree with it but I've seen people not pay for days and then suddenly pay. Combine that with the fact that he very well might in some be affected by the storm and its a time to play it cool and give him some time.

Don't want a repeat of the thread in the member feedback section where someone called out a buyer for using the death in the family excuse when there actually was a death in the family.

auctionjmm 11-02-2012 01:43 PM

I am way over in Ohio and I still haven't been back to work due to power outages. Sandy hit a lot of different places very hard. I would give the benefit of the doubt to anybody near Sandy's path.

Broncos 2583 11-02-2012 06:30 PM

[QUOTE=Jackg1980;3578625]Its scary that we got 3 once and a lifetime storms in the past 4 years. Katrina, Ike and now Sandy.[/QUOTE]

Katrina was in 2005 (I was there) but I get what you mean.

wheeler281 11-02-2012 06:33 PM

Liverpool NY got absolutely nothing. My family lives in CNY all the way from Liverpool to Baldwinsville to Syracuse. he is using it as an excuse

cking 11-02-2012 06:34 PM

I live in NY and bought cards from someone in NY last week. Thursday I believe. They just showed up today. Thats 8 days when normally its 2 days. If that helps.

metsplaya123 11-02-2012 06:35 PM

I'm in jersey, been without power and water since Monday, this will continue for another 6-9 days

FreeMan12406 11-02-2012 06:39 PM

A quick Google search yielded this:

[url=http://google.org/crisismap/2012-sandy]Google Crisis Map[/url]

FreeMan12406 11-02-2012 06:40 PM

[url=http://outagemap.nyseg.com/ny/?style=newyork]Outage Viewer[/url]

Jackg1980 11-02-2012 06:47 PM

[QUOTE=Broncos 2583;3580337]Katrina was in 2005 (I was there) but I get what you mean.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I went thru Ike. Not have power sucks.

[QUOTE=wheeler281;3580351]Liverpool NY got absolutely nothing. My family lives in CNY all the way from Liverpool to Baldwinsville to Syracuse. he is using it as an excuse[/QUOTE]

I think it is wise to keep an open mind. He may be helping others that were more affected.