Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #26 (permalink)

Casual fans have lots of respect for Eli, students of the game know he's really lucky.

Perfect example, on Eli's interception, he threw into Bracketed Double coverage with the CB underneath, usually he get's away with that, today he didn't. He does this same type of throw with regularity, along with deep fades that tail to the WR's inside shoulder (which almost always get picked off by other team's QB's).

He's basically dependent on his WR's making spectacular plays in order to mask his really questionable decisions. He's got about a 75% success rate on most of these throws, that'll even out as his career progresses.
Andrew Luck
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMC View Post
Casual fans have lots of respect for Eli, students of the game know he's really lucky.

Perfect example, on Eli's interception, he threw into Bracketed Double coverage with the CB underneath, usually he get's away with that, today he didn't. He does this same type of throw with regularity, along with deep fades that tail to the WR's inside shoulder (which almost always get picked off by other team's QB's).

He's basically dependent on his WR's making spectacular plays in order to mask his really questionable decisions. He's got about a 75% success rate on most of these throws, that'll even out as his career progresses.
But...but...Eli won two rings! Single handedly. With no help from anyone!

If I remember last year's Super Bowl right, he sent the OL off the field and still ran for four 80 yard TDs. Then there was his cornerback play. Anyone remember those three Brady picks he pulled in? If it were up to me, I'd tear down Canton and build a 200 foot tall statue of Eli in it's place. It would read, "Clutch."

As for your silly argument...Winner, winner, chicken f-ing dinner.
FanboyOfNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #28 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to sblez

I hope it doesn't get paid for and relisted because I want that card. I would probably pay 125-150 for it. Eli is going through a tough stretch right now but he will turn it around. Did anyone watch the playoffs last year? He was the MVP of the whole playoffs. He is durable, clutch, throws a great ball and wins games in the fourth quarter. He has all the tools to be a great QB and he IS an ELITE QB. How many QB's have two come from behind wins in the 4th quarter to win the Superbowl?
PM ME ABOUT ANDREW LUCK CARDS!!!
sblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #29 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblez View Post
I hope it doesn't get paid for and relisted because I want that card. I would probably pay 125-150 for it. Eli is going through a tough stretch right now but he will turn it around. Did anyone watch the playoffs last year? He was the MVP of the whole playoffs. He is durable, clutch, throws a great ball and wins games in the fourth quarter. He has all the tools to be a great QB and he IS an ELITE QB. How many QB's have two come from behind wins in the 4th quarter to win the Superbowl?
Eli is good but not Elite. He threw for 1 TD in the Super Bowl against the worse passing Defense. That is not elite. He is clutch because the Giants keep them in the game and within a scoring drive allowing Eli to be clutch. Just like Tebow last year. The defense kept the Broncos in the game and Tebow had one good quarter.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackg1980 View Post
Eli is good but not Elite. He threw for 1 TD in the Super Bowl against the worse passing Defense. That is not elite. He is clutch because the Giants keep them in the game and within a scoring drive allowing Eli to be clutch. Just like Tebow last year. The defense kept the Broncos in the game and Tebow had one good quarter.
so, by your definition, he should be compared to Tebow and Trent Dilfer?

Didnt Rapistberger have borderline great defenses when he won his SBs? So, he should be discredited too?
bdubs3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #31 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubs3316 View Post

Didnt Rapistberger have borderline great defenses when he won his SBs? So, he should be discredited too?
No not at all. Who is descrediting him by the way? As I said before he is clutch because the Giants D keeps them in the game and then Eli comes through.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:

More so, I'd say.

His first ring came from a 0 TD, 1 Int, just over 100 yard performance. Worst passer rating in Super Bowl history.

Didn't Harrison run back a 99 yard fumble that game? One of his receivers threw a TD? Big Ben was a Steelers' obstacle in that SB win. Praise Harrison, and the rest of the Steelers D for that ring because it should NEVER come up in arguments for Big Ben's "dominance."
Old 11-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #33 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jbellis74

Ahhhh the haters...has to be real hard to be over rated and win two Super Bowl MVP awards

Last edited by jbellis74; 11-05-2012 at 12:44 PM.
jbellis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbellis74 View Post
Ahhhh the haters...has to be real hard to be over rated and win two Super Bowl MVP awards
I have a quasi-honest question.

Why do Giants fans give ALL the credit to Eli for wins? I seem to remember the defense stepping up, JPP going buck wild with something like an interception, a few sacks, and a field goal block against the Cowboys that may have saved the Giants season before the Playoffs began. Victor Cruz made clutch runs on 8 yard passes.

Sometimes I feel like, as a Cowboys fan, I respect JPP, Cruz, Nicks, etc...more than the average Giants fan. They don't even have rings it seems. Eli stole them all off their fingers I guess.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #35 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to sblez

Do people realize that the Giants Defense was ranked 27th last year? Without Eli we wouldn't have made the playoffs! He threw for almost 5000 yards last year and set the NFL record for comeback wins in the fourth quarter.
PM ME ABOUT ANDREW LUCK CARDS!!!
sblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #36 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jbellis74

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboyOfNone View Post
I have a quasi-honest question.

Why do Giants fans give ALL the credit to Eli for wins? I seem to remember the defense stepping up, JPP going buck wild with something like an interception, a few sacks, and a field goal block against the Cowboys that may have saved the Giants season before the Playoffs began. Victor Cruz made clutch runs on 8 yard passes.

Sometimes I feel like, as a Cowboys fan, I respect JPP, Cruz, Nicks, etc...more than the average Giants fan. They don't even have rings it seems. Eli stole them all off their fingers I guess.
But what happened once they made the playoffs. I believe Eli threw 8TD's and 1 pick during the entire playoff run.

EDIT: Not sure how much better you can be.......

2011 Playoffs

1219 Yards
103.3 QB Rating
9 Touchdowns
1 INT

Last edited by jbellis74; 11-05-2012 at 01:00 PM.
jbellis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackg1980 View Post
No not at all. Who is descrediting him by the way? As I said before he is clutch because the Giants D keeps them in the game and then Eli comes through.
what are the plays you remember from each SB win the Giants had?

I'd bet from the first one it's the Tyree catch...which doesnt happen unless Eli does his magic trick of getting away from the sack, so he can heave the pass.

I'd also bet from the second title it's the pass/catch to Manningham, which was a perfect pass from Manning.

granted the defense and other players helped in these games, but Manning can't just be considered clutch due to the defense keeping them in the game.

It's a team sport...but the praise and the blame usually goes to the QB...right or wrong.

Personally, I'd give Eli more credit for his 2 SBs than I would give Rapistberger for his.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
But what happened once they made the playoffs. I believe Eli threw 8TD's and 1 pick during the entire playoff run.
He played pretty damn solid in the Playoffs. I'll give him that. Though (and this is NOT a direct comparison) Sanchez threw 5 TDs and 1 pick in 2010 by the end of that Playoff run. Can't help but think of stuff like that. Is Sanchez better than Eli? Hell no. Just food for thought.

Regardless, I'm stuck on them barely making the Playoffs. Playing well in the last few games of the season is just as important as the Playoffs themselves, when your record going into those games could easily exclude you.

A team effort helped them beat the Cowboys twice last year, something they HAD to do if they wanted to play come January. Cruz and JPP had some ridiculous plays that saved the Giants arses late last year.

I just think there's enough credit to spread around here. Coughlin knows how to coach a team.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #39 (permalink)

you gotta give credit where credit is due, everyone talks about eli's only winning because of the great defensive teams he's had..............how many times has that defense let the team down after the offense takes the lead, how many leads did they give up only to have eli and the offense win the game

eli's gone through some rough patches in his career often having fans want him gone, but he turned it around won 2 superbowls and became one of the most clutch qb's in the game.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Personally, I'd give Eli more credit for his 2 SBs than I would give Rapistberger for his.
I'd give just about any SB QB more credit than Big Ben.

Essentially the worst QB performance in a Super Bowl ever for his first ring. Second ring was against a Cardinals team dragged to the big game by Warner aged 68, Fitz, and one sketchy Cardinals defense.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:

Who brought Roethlisberger into to this? This thread is about Eli. And resorting to name calling isn't necessary. Eli is good, but overrated, and he is far from Elite.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:

Old 11-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFan28 View Post
Who brought Roethlisberger into to this? This thread is about Eli. And resorting to name calling isn't necessary. Eli is good, but overrated, and he is far from Elite.
where's the name calling? are you sensitive? is it your special time of the month?

every player in every sport is overrated. no one should be making the money they are making. Eli is easily in the top tier of QBs.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
where's the name calling? are you sensitive? is it your special time of the month?

every player in every sport is overrated. no one should be making the money they are making. Eli is easily in the top tier of QBs.
hahahaha Thanks for the good laugh! The top tier consists of Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. Eli is in late 2nd , top 3rd tier. 2nd Tier: Peyton(Maybe 1st), Stafford, Ryan, Schaub, etc. Eli is far from first tier.

As of name calling, you know what you said. (Rapistberger)
Old 11-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #45 (permalink)

until they win something stafford, ryan and schaub are not above eli
Old 11-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver1080 View Post
until they win something stafford, ryan and schaub are not above eli
We are talking about skill levels, not SB Rings.

And you're saying you have to win a SB to be Elite or to be a 1st tier QB? What about Dan Marino? Is he not Elite since he never won a SB?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
hahahaha Thanks for the good laugh! The top tier consists of Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. Eli is in late 2nd , top 3rd tier. 2nd Tier: Peyton(Maybe 1st), Stafford, Ryan, Schaub, etc. Eli is far from first tier.

As of name calling, you know what you said. (Rapistberger)
Sometimes, the truth hurts. It's his nickname, no need to get so upset about it. where there is smoke multiple times, there is usually fire.

Your tiers are way off. But you can have your own opinion...

For the record, I obviously pc Stafford, and I wouldn't put him above Eli, but ten again that's my opinion.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Sometimes, the truth hurts. It's his nickname, no need to get so upset about it. where there is smoke multiple times, there is usually fire.

Your tiers are way off. But you can have your own opinion...

For the record, I obviously pc Stafford, and I wouldn't put him above Eli, but ten again that's my opinion.
Oh mighty one let's hear you tiers then? How are they way off? The first Tier is pretty solid in Brady, Brees, Peyton, and Rodgers.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh mighty one let's hear you tiers then? How are they way off? The first Tier is pretty solid in Brady, Brees, Peyton, and Rodgers.
haha i love boston fans....no respect for any other team or players...
Old 11-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmudgexx View Post
haha i love boston fans....no respect for any other team or players...
hahah why? No respect? I respect Eli, I just find him overrated as do many. How can I not respect someone who single handily defeated the Patriots in two SB's?

I only "hate" a couple of teams in all sports I follow (NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, etc).

The only team I think I don't have much respect for are the Canucks, that's it.