Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   FOOTBALL (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football/)
-   -   Rules I Have Set For My Card Collecting (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football/393639-rules-i-have-set-my-card-collecting.html)

TheBurg 11-04-2012 10:18 PM

Rules I Have Set For My Card Collecting

I thought I would share, I think it's a decent blue-print for anyone who doesn't have a consistent income to feed this very addictive hobby.

-I have an "emergency" $1000 cushion that I will not allow myself to spend unless a PC card that will never show up again (most likely a 1/1) has surfaced.
If I ever have to spend a part of that $1000, I may not buy any more cards until I re-fill the "emergency" fund back to $1000.

-Any time a card I need for the PC becomes available, look to trade for it or sell other cards before buying it. It sounds fairly straightforward, but it's a good way to make spending money (when it becomes available) last.

-Prioritize every card you are targeting for your PC. You will regret it otherwise; trust me.:o

-If you enjoy busting wax, decide when and how much money is spent. Make this as consistent as possible. You have very little control over when a PC card will show up, so pick a time when you know you have money to spend every few months, year, etc.

-Have one "investment" card at a time if you are confident that you can make successful investments. Whatever profit you make, sink into the PC. Re-invest the original money. Rinse and repeat.

That's off the top of my head, would love it if other people contributed their advice/strategy.

smackvay 11-04-2012 10:32 PM

if you are a PC collector you need/must not bust wax.
secondly stick to the rules above as they are fairly accurate in my opinion

TheBurg 11-04-2012 10:33 PM

[QUOTE=smackvay;3591307]if you are a PC collector you need/must not bust wax.
secondly stick to the rules above as they are fairly accurate in my opinion[/QUOTE]

It's not for the PC, I just love doing it so much. It's a part of my collecting joy.

pierrethomasfan 11-04-2012 11:00 PM

Tanks for the tips wish I woulda followed these :o

TheBurg 11-04-2012 11:01 PM

[QUOTE=pierrethomasfan;3591470]Tanks for the tips wish I woulda followed these :o[/QUOTE]

You were the one giving me tips when I started off, I owe ya.

pierrethomasfan 11-04-2012 11:04 PM

[QUOTE=TheBurg;3591472]You were the one giving me tips when I started off, I owe ya.[/QUOTE]

Haha that's right I forgot about that :)! Sell those Redmans ;)

jimssouvenirs 11-04-2012 11:05 PM

The old lady and I are saving for a house, but when we weren't I had similar rules to these. Now I just tell myself not to spend the money until it's worth getting bitched at :)

TheBurg 11-04-2012 11:05 PM

[QUOTE=pierrethomasfan;3591490]Haha that's right I forgot about that :)! Sell those Redmans ;)[/QUOTE]

I'll probably never move them.

SportCardBuffet 11-04-2012 11:26 PM

Great advice there, I've been trying to collect along that format with little success and have come to a conclusion... I just need more money :D

TheBurg 11-04-2012 11:52 PM

[QUOTE=SportCardBuffet;3591597]Great advice there, I've been trying to collect along that format with little success and have come to a conclusion... I just need more money :D[/QUOTE]

It's time for me to get a job lol. I just have so much schoolwork, don't know how I'd fit that in. So I make do with this format.

sdoug76 11-05-2012 12:01 AM

Good tips! I have a "fun" money checking account and a real world account. Never mix the 2.

jdbuzz44 11-05-2012 02:25 AM

Great Tips...but i can't follow them.... I LOVE busting WAX... Have spent over $5000 just being in Afganhistan for when i get back.

I have a problem of "sitting" on too many RCs i pull at the time....HINTS my massive "PC" collection of Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn Autos. I need to learn to sell when hot....

But the bottom line....im in the hobby because i enjoy it...not to make money. God knows how much money i've wasted in the past 20 years, and i still enjoy it...Especially busting wax

pierrethomasfan 11-05-2012 07:20 AM

[QUOTE=TheBurg;3591705]It's time for me to get a job lol. I just have so much schoolwork, don't know how I'd fit that in. So I make do with this format.[/QUOTE]

I gotta job dawg :flex:

Ray27Ray52 11-05-2012 08:26 AM

OP, if I may ask... How on earth are you able to afford all of these cards with no job and being in school? Aren't you a teenager? I have always been curious about this, although it is none of my nor anyone elses business.