Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
Exactly. I'm %80 certain it has happened in the last 30 or so years. I mean think about it...you have a drive that starts at the 1. A back goes for a 45ish yard run. The next play gets called back for holding. The back then busts one for 30. Another penalty or two and a few more runs by that back and it's done.
Exactly. And that might be a better way to think of it. I'm thinking like 9 yard catch to the 10, false start penalty, 95 yard TD bomb. I think it's more realistic that it would happen on a 12-14 play drive where a running back or receiver had almost all the positive yards with some penalities and negative plays added in by other players.

I also wonder if a back has done it since they have a better shot at getting rushing and receiving yards.

And to add in, 100+ passing yards on one drive has been done. Brees had 101 back in 2008 - Stat of the day: Drew Brees 9/11, 101 yards on ONE DRIVE - SaintsReport Community Forums

Last edited by SpastikMooss; 11-11-2012 at 09:05 PM.
SpastikMooss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #27 (permalink)

And I can't find the specific game, but a Yahoo Answers has been referenced by several sites for most gross yards on one drive. 1988 Packers, 125 yards on one drive.

What is the most yards gained on one drive in the NFL? - Yahoo! Answers

Quoted:

"125 yards by the Green Bay Packers in 1988
they started at their own 5
and scored a touchdown
which is 95 yards
but they had 3 penalties
one for 20 yards and two offside penalties or false start for 5 penalties
adding on 30 yards"

I can't find play by play for 1988, even on Pro Football reference.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpastikMooss View Post
And I can't find the specific game, but a Yahoo Answers has been referenced by several sites for most gross yards on one drive. 1988 Packers, 125 yards on one drive.

What is the most yards gained on one drive in the NFL? - Yahoo! Answers

Quoted:

"125 yards by the Green Bay Packers in 1988
they started at their own 5
and scored a touchdown
which is 95 yards
but they had 3 penalties
one for 20 yards and two offside penalties or false start for 5 penalties
adding on 30 yards"

I can't find play by play for 1988, even on Pro Football reference.
Follow up...gotta wonder if this is truly the record. Researching this just 20 minutes after I posted it, this thread is already hit #1 on Google if you search "1998 packers" 125 yards. Seems like a possible random Yahoo answer some troll made. Hmmm...

Digging now. Houston in week 4 of 2011 against the Steelers had a 95 yard drive which was really a 115 yard drive thanks to two penalties. One article I found said it was the most gross yards on one drive since the Redskins had 117 against the Texans on November 24th of 2006. In case anyone was wondering, no one was close to 100 on either of those drives - Arian Foster and Ladell Betts were leaders but they were like 40 yards max. Houston's was 19 plays and took up 10:55 of clock. The Redskins one was 14 plays with 4 penalties (one declined) that took just 4:41 of clock (it was right before halftime).

Here's someone debunking an old Bears "record" where Sammy Baugh would've had 100+ yards in one drive and his team would've had a 23 play 14:03 drive. Seems false according to the guy's research - http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...otball_history

Last edited by SpastikMooss; 11-11-2012 at 09:50 PM.