Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default So...what would you do?

I purchased a GU/Auto card from a guy on ebay...its a /5 card and was originally an exchange card, although he said it was sent as a replacement from Panini...good to know.

Anyway...the guy ships it in a toploader and a bubble mailer and puts friggin packing peanuts in the mailer and caused the card to get creased around the patch window.

This is why i HATE when people put packing peanuts in with cards...who exactly thought that was a good idea?

So..what would you do? I need the card and even though it's damaged now, I don't want to send it back because I might not see another one soon, if ever since it's a /5 card...but, I really paid more for it than it was worth to begin with and I wouldn't have paid that much if it were damaged...I paid for a mint card and got a damaged card.

The whole "partial refund" scam is rampant on ebay and i don't want to be accused of doing that sort of thing, but this is actually damaged.

I contacted the seller and sent him a scan with a close up pic of the damage, it's a little hard to see on a cell phone pic because its a highly glossy card...but I got a pic that clearly shows the damage and sent him and he said "I can't even tell if thats the same card"...well, ok i guess i'm a liar...so i'll have to get my scanner hooked up and send him a full scan of the front and back...which is fine...not a big deal or an unreasonable request.

What do you guys think? should I just let it go and cut my losses or nail the guy on feedback or ask for a refund of some sort or what? I'm not sending the card back so that's out of the question...I just hate its damaged and I hate that I over paid for a card that I expected to arrive in good shape...and the whole packing peanut thing is a pet peeve of mine and it just makes it worse ...lol.

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com
mindbinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wow that stinks, neg him, but idk it's your card
Old 11-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Out of curiosity, were his shipping methods listed, and how much was shipping?
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would also like to add that I specifically asked the guy to make sure he packaged with some dummy blanks or something it so it doesn't get damaged when I paid for it.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

I always put packing peanuts/padding in with cards to make the package over 3/4inch thick so it doesn't go through the rollers. My guess is his package still wasn't thick enough. I've never had a problem shipping like this.

Contact him and let him know the situation.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeauleap87 View Post
Out of curiosity, were his shipping methods listed, and how much was shipping?
it was "free shipping"...which is why I mentioned that I wanted it sent well protected.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbinge View Post
it was "free shipping"...which is why I mentioned that I wanted it sent well protected.
I'd give him a neutral...he got you the card, but didn't get it to you safely. Shipping memorabilia cards in a plain, white envelope is NOT acceptable.
lambeauleap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitch123 View Post
I always put packing peanuts/padding in with cards to make the package over 3/4inch thick so it doesn't go through the rollers. My guess is his package still wasn't thick enough. I've never had a problem shipping like this.

Contact him and let him know the situation.
if you have a card with a patch window or pretty much just a card in just a top loader and you put a peanut in there and it ends up on top of the center of the card...then you pile a few hundred pounds of mail on top of it...it will get damaged. I have had several patch cards arrive with peanuts that were damaged...especially the jumbo patches like you get in absolute. If you have a dummy blank or whatever on there..something other than just a top loader then it is a lot better protected...but peanuts are bad news. Consider yourself lucky if you have never had a problem.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
if you have a card with a patch window or pretty much just a card in just a top loader and you put a peanut in there and it ends up on top of the center of the card...then you pile a few hundred pounds of mail on top of it...it will get damaged. I have had several patch cards arrive with peanuts that were damaged...especially the jumbo patches like you get in absolute. If you have a dummy blank or whatever on there..something other than just a top loader then it is a lot better protected...but peanuts are bad news. Consider yourself lucky if you have never had a problem.
Interesting. Well I always put toploaders or dummys on either side of a toploaded patch card, so that could also be the reason I've never had a problem
Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

since its a pc card id keep and continue to try to get a partial refund if that doesnt work out its up to you on either neg or neutral? id provide the correct scans and go from their
gd luck
Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Are you absolutely sure it wasn't creased before you bought it?

I had a 1/1 show up the mail that I am sure was creased during production.
Andrew Luck
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
since its a pc card id keep and continue to try to get a partial refund if that doesnt work out its up to you on either neg or neutral? id provide the correct scans and go from their
gd luck
OP, what is the card and what did you pay for it? If it's a lower value card I would do what I quoted, if it's a high cost card I would ask for a refund/file a claim if I had to to return it.
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMC View Post
Are you absolutely sure it wasn't creased before you bought it?

I had a 1/1 show up the mail that I am sure was creased during production.
do you see any damage? It's the upper left hand corner of the patch window thats screwed up now...and none mentioned in the description.

2011 Timeless Treasures Gameday Souvenirs Ahmad Bradshaw Auto Giants Ed 1 5 | eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2554 View Post
OP, what is the card and what did you pay for it? If it's a lower value card I would do what I quoted, if it's a high cost card I would ask for a refund/file a claim if I had to to return it.
$60..last one just sold not long ago for $20 on a 7 day auction.

I dont mind over paying a little for stuff i need..but I hate to over pay expecting a nice card and get one thats damaged.

close up of the damage ...took it with my cell phone so it's not the best but you can clearly see it...the light glare is the crease and it runs up past the G in Giants...not easy to see in the pic, but you can see it in hand clearly.

Attached Thumbnails
So...what would you do?-tt-damage.jpg  

Last edited by mindbinge; 11-18-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

I know it sucks, but I think you're just going to have to deal with it. That's one bad thing about picking up low-numbered cards; there's just no replacing them. I have a card that's /5 and I accidentally dropped a magnetic on it and put a ding in it. I just have to live with it now. I know that's not the same since I did that, but it's the same situation with dealing with it.

I'd tell him your situation and that you're a PC collector and need the card. Tell him you think it was his shipping methods that caused the crease and you want a partial refund. If he doesn't give you one, neg him.
ivbaseball06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

I stand corrected, ouch. Sorry man.
Andrew Luck
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

and here is the one that sold for $26 on a 7 day auction...so I paid more than twice that for mine.

Ahmad Bradshaw Timeless Treasures 2011 Gameday Souvenirs Auto JSY 2 5 | eBay

Old 11-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

I would just eat it. Its PC, it's /5 so you won't find another most likely, and even though I never ship with packing peanuts it sounds like he was just trying to follow your orders and ship it as secure as possible
Old 11-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I purchased a GU/Auto card from a guy on ebay...its a /5 card and was originally an exchange card, although he said it was sent as a replacement from Panini...good to know.

Anyway...the guy ships it in a toploader and a bubble mailer and puts friggin packing peanuts in the mailer and caused the card to get creased around the patch window.

This is why i HATE when people put packing peanuts in with cards...who exactly thought that was a good idea?

So..what would you do? I need the card and even though it's damaged now, I don't want to send it back because I might not see another one soon, if ever since it's a /5 card...but, I really paid more for it than it was worth to begin with and I wouldn't have paid that much if it were damaged...I paid for a mint card and got a damaged card.

The whole "partial refund" scam is rampant on ebay and i don't want to be accused of doing that sort of thing, but this is actually damaged.

I contacted the seller and sent him a scan with a close up pic of the damage, it's a little hard to see on a cell phone pic because its a highly glossy card...but I got a pic that clearly shows the damage and sent him and he said "I can't even tell if thats the same card"...well, ok i guess i'm a liar...so i'll have to get my scanner hooked up and send him a full scan of the front and back...which is fine...not a big deal or an unreasonable request.

What do you guys think? should I just let it go and cut my losses or nail the guy on feedback or ask for a refund of some sort or what? I'm not sending the card back so that's out of the question...I just hate its damaged and I hate that I over paid for a card that I expected to arrive in good shape...and the whole packing peanut thing is a pet peeve of mine and it just makes it worse ...lol.
Since your certainly not sending it back how can you really ask for a partial refund? Its obviously worth what you paid for it TO YOU since your not sending it back. Dont get me wrong it sucks but you have clearly stated you still want the item. Im just not a fan of the partial refund stuff. I refuse to do them. 100% refund or keep it is the way I go.
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
Since your certainly not sending it back how can you really ask for a partial refund? Its obviously worth what you paid for it TO YOU since your not sending it back. Dont get me wrong it sucks but you have clearly stated you still want the item. Im just not a fan of the partial refund stuff. I refuse to do them. 100% refund or keep it is the way I go.
yeah thats kinda what I'm thinking on the refund, i said i dont like to do the partial refund thing either because its rampant on ebay right now...biggest scam out there...but, that doesn't mean everything is a scam, and in this case...it's 100% legit.

I don't like to neg people either, but i feel like i've got the short end of the stick here and don't really know what the answer is other than just...eat the loss...but, then there is still the question of what feedback to leave if i go that route. I'm not happy about the situation at all.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

I never understood why partial refund could be bad in this situation. Heck, I don't get how it is a scam if the prove is there. Last year, I sold a card for $55, it was clearly damaged. The buyer really wanted the card, and no way I could sell that card with the damaged (looked like someone stabbed it with a ball-point pen). We settled on $15 back and off we went. This, too me, is a similar situation.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

As for feedback, I never had an issue with receiving a peanut. He shipped it good enough for the hobby standards. He seems to be rude in his conversation however, so that stinks. I still wouldn't leave negative since he did everything you need to do to ship a proper card, the peanut is just a personal thing I guess. It could of been damaged by the post office, and I get the whole seller responsibility to get it to you, it is, but I'd try to get a partial refund, or just send it back and hope another one pops up.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

If he gives you a partial refund I would leave neutral feedback.
No partial negative refund.
sdoug76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitch123 View Post
Interesting. Well I always put toploaders or dummys on either side of a toploaded patch card, so that could also be the reason I've never had a problem
Yep--put the peanut over the dummy and you're good
Old 11-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
No, it was worth that much to him when it was mint. It's not anymore. He now wants to pay what it's worth to him with the crease. The partial refund is the difference between those two numbers.
ivbaseball06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

My PO makes me put packing peanuts in my bubble mailers to meet thickness requirements. Some post offices let it slide and I'm in no way trying to defend the seller of this card, just saying that he might be in a similar situation where the post office won't mail it unless he puts a packing peanut or two in there.
Cardcollector08 is offline   Reply With Quote