Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Maybe you guys could explain this to me (ebay)

I've recently been looking for some cards on ebay and sent out offers. Here is a situation that's come up a few times.

I find a card that from past sales is worth about $6. It's a low numbered card, so I offer a fair amount at $10. They reply by saying they are already in it for 10 and need $17.

What sense does this make? People can charge what they want, no big deal. I'm not really upset about not getting the card, more curious than anything.

I can pay $40 for a card, but that doesn't mean it's worth that much. If I pay $40 and 5 others end on ebay for $15, then I'd have to accept the fact that I won't make money on the card and will likely lose money.

I'm just confused by some of that logic.
1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

They haven't accepted the fact they overpaid yet and aren't willing to deal with reality yet. I don't mean that in a rude way--I've been there myself as a seller.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
They haven't accepted the fact they overpaid yet and aren't willing to deal with reality yet. I don't mean that in a rude way--I've been there myself as a seller.
I guess that makes sense. it's almost like a form of denail
Old 11-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

card prices change, they are probably hoping it gets popular and someone pays the $17 they asked for it...... I do it all the time........

if I sold a doug martin auto for $8 that someone offered me before he got hot I would have lost because I paid $10, but I kept it and sold it for $30 a week later.......

makes perfect sense.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
card prices change, they are probably hoping it gets popular and someone pays the $17 they asked for it...... I do it all the time........

if I sold a doug martin auto for $8 that someone offered me before he got hot I would have lost because I paid $10, but I kept it and sold it for $30 a week later.......

makes perfect sense.

Well, in my case it's not a rookie. It was a Vincent Jackson card from 2012 and he's been having a good year, so it's not like one good week will change the price because he's had many good weeks. It's not exactly the type of card that changes price very much I'd imagine.

Also, I picked up the same exact card but of Brandon Marshall for $10 a few weeks ago, so if Marshall is going for $10, I'd think Jackson would be less money, not almost twice as much.

Again, if it's a rookie, or a total under the radar player, I would certainly agree with you!
Old 11-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

I feel like a lot of people really struggle with taking a loss on a card. They would rather just keep the card than sell it and accept the loss.

Its hard to convince a person that the card they bought for $20 is now only worth $10.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here is the problem. If you look at past sales you need to distinguish between AUCTION format and BIN format.

AUCTION-fast guaranteed sale but you (as a seller) are leaving something on the table. You typically do this in exchange for a quick sale or do not care because you know the card will no go at auction for more then what you paid for it. ADVANTAGE=BUYER

BIN-Typically not a fast sale but you have control over the paid price. You get to communicate with the buyer (as a seller) and if both parties are close usually a price will be agreed on. ADVANTAGE=SELLER

Because of these two completely different ways to buy/sell you should factor that into your pricing offer if you really want a card. So when you look at completed sales typically you will pay MORE for a BIN. Maybe even double the price if its a lower value card.

Also, what Qwasian said is very valid. Many sellers.......myself included will put cards up for sale in hopes that they get hot. Sometimes it works sometimes you miss out. I have had both happen. Its the risk you take by doing that as a seller.