Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking to getting into some football

Right now I mostly do just baseball prospects but because its the offseason I am trying to get into some football.
Question I have are
What players to buy?
When to sell?
What sells?
or just any investing tips
Thanks guys
chicitysports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicitysports View Post
Right now I mostly do just baseball prospects but because its the offseason I am trying to get into some football.
Question I have are
What players to buy?
When to sell?
What sells?
Thanks guys
Players: whoever you have interest in
When: when the player has a good game (rookie) or team makes the playoffs
What sells: hot products, players
Old 11-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Texans81 Send a message via Yahoo to Texans81

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicitysports View Post
Question I have are
What players to buy?
When to sell?
What sells?
Thanks guys
ok this raises a question for me. are you looking to invest or are you looking for quick flips for profit?

if you're looking for quick flips, I can't help ya. The market is so incredibly volatile from week to week that there's just no telling. Being able to consistently flip stuff for profits is a mix of being able to buy stuff cheap, and a HUGE amount of luck. It seems like in any given week there is some practical nobody player who for some reason or another just lights it up. But figuring out who that player is gonna be from week to week...good luck.

Its hugely different than baseball. Baseball from what I've seen (I don't personally collect anything in terms of current baseball players) you tend to go for prospects. meaning guys who probably won't even see the majors for 2-3 years. There is no equivalent to this in football. So 'prospecting' can be much more difficult.

now on the other hand, if you're looking to invest, and by that I mean pick up cards and just sit on them and hold them for long term value and have a fairly high confidence level that they will retain their value...then in my opinion hall of famer autos and vintage rookie cards are the way to go.

nowadays I would actually advise steering clear of these high dollar rookie autos. the guys who sell really well their rookie season (like RGIII and Luck this year) almost never sell that well AFTER their rookie year. There are of course exceptions, but in my opinion as a general rule, high end big money rookie autos are a bad investment. Only pick up stuff like that if you're picking them up as a collector. At that point, the price and potential future value is irrelvant.

That's my two cents.