Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Doug Martin as Investment?

What do you guys think about the muscle hamster as a investment? I know its not smart to invest in to RB do to injuries, but if he ends up being a stud then I see money to be had on him early.. If I invest in him I would go with High end Topps Chrome and NT. Just curious what you think?

Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Too late to invest, max money cannot be earned anymore.

Posted from Blowoutcards.com App for Android
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
Too late to invest, max money cannot be earned anymore.

Posted from Blowoutcards.com App for Android
Maybe not max money but theres got to be a nice gain if he continues to ball!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would say you missed the boat on Martin. But it wouldn't hurt to pick up a couple of autos now anyhow just to say you have them.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismiller81 View Post
Maybe not max money but theres got to be a nice gain if he continues to ball!

Sorry he plays FB where they do not "ball". That is a lazy term that should only be used in basketball.

Prices have risen 4X in the last 3 weeks. I don't see lots of money to be made.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

it's strange to me why people pick guys that have already done well to invest in, I mean? don't get me wrong, I love people who buy cards for high prices, but? all the money was to be made before he had breakout games. you are about 3 weeks late on "INVESTING". his prices might rise a bit, but it's almost certain after the end of the year his rookie hype will be gone along w/ your money...... how hot are any of the guys from last year? even the good ones?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default martin

Still money to be made, but not sure he is a long term investment.

If you want to invest/flip/make some money with him, this is how I would do it.

Buy the mid range chrome autos, pink, camo, ref, variation, etc whenever you see one sell low. Maybe even black or prism, if one sneaks through cheap.

Maybe buy some platinum or finest on card autos versions, if they sneak through cheap, but don't spend big money on them. And stay away from most other brands. Most of his existing stuff will drops, as chrome and nat treasures take over. Even finest and platinum a little.

If any are 9.5 10 worthy, grade them.

Not sure what invest means to you. You need to be ready to pull the trigger on any investment, on big news. If he wins a playoff game and goes for 235 and 3 tds, sell the hell out of him.

Good luck.
gmsieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

If you want a RB to invest in, I'd look at David Wilson. Bradshaw is injury prone and Wilson looks like he's got the explosiveness to be a difference maker. He got in the doghouse early this year with fumble issues. As long as he fixes that issue, he should be surrounded by a solid team for the next 4-5 years and have an opportunity to be the man at some point. Sure, they are using Andre Brown right now as their #2 back but I don't see a lot that's "special" about Brown. Wilson has the skills to leapfrog him in the next 1-2 years, just like Bradshaw did to Jacobs.
blevins26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Here is a good one to start with
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins26 View Post
If you want a RB to invest in, I'd look at David Wilson. Bradshaw is injury prone and Wilson looks like he's got the explosiveness to be a difference maker. He got in the doghouse early this year with fumble issues. As long as he fixes that issue, he should be surrounded by a solid team for the next 4-5 years and have an opportunity to be the man at some point. Sure, they are using Andre Brown right now as their #2 back but I don't see a lot that's "special" about Brown. Wilson has the skills to leapfrog him in the next 1-2 years, just like Bradshaw did to Jacobs.
bradshaws rookie auto's sell for next to nothing, how could this possibly be good advice?

the best way to "INVEST" is to buy up rookies early and sell them when they get hot, if not then buy em up and hold until you think they will be a hall of fame player/high end stuff......

auto's are too mass produced these days, your not going to get the same type of long term investment rates as some of the older stuff.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

Load up short term, hope for a big game then flip is the only way to go with RBs these days IMO unless you are planning a player PC. Martin could have another spike if he has another Oakland type game but it's an expensive risk to buy in now.

Since the days of Emmitt and LT are over for now, other than AP, I don't see a big future in any type of "long term" investment in RBs. With all the splitting of carries and the "feature back" being a thing of the past these days, Tampa could have a guy spelling Martin this time next year. If you remember, it wasn't until Blount fell out of favor that Martin started getting this heavy work load.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Best advice right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
bradshaws rookie auto's sell for next to nothing, how could this possibly be good advice?

the best way to "INVEST" is to buy up rookies early and sell them when they get hot, if not then buy em up and hold until you think they will be a hall of fame player/high end stuff......

auto's are too mass produced these days, your not going to get the same type of long term investment rates as some of the older stuff.
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

I don't understand what Bradshaw's rookie auto's have to do with David Wilson?

Unless you are trying to say that people won't pay for a Giants RB.

I was only trying to make the point that at the RB position, Wilson would be a better prospecting choice than Martin at this point.

Would you care to highlight an alternate RB prospecting choice or can you only troll?
Old 11-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

NFL Running backs are not a good investments for long term. Just look at L.T prices from a few years ago and compare them to current market price. I remember his SPA and Contenders going for $500-$600+ and now you can have them for under $200.

But, as far as investing in Doug Martin at current prices I wouldn't. Just wait a few months they'll be 25% less probably. I think Trent Richardson is a better investment based on current market price.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ask the Cam Newton fans if investing in football cards is a good idea
Old 11-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins26 View Post
I don't understand what Bradshaw's rookie auto's have to do with David Wilson?

Unless you are trying to say that people won't pay for a Giants RB.

I was only trying to make the point that at the RB position, Wilson would be a better prospecting choice than Martin at this point.

Would you care to highlight an alternate RB prospecting choice or can you only troll?
because you said he should be surrounded by a solid team for the next 4 or 5 years and be the man at some point........that's a terrible format for investment, that's a similiar scenario as mark ingram or something and his cards are going nowhere but down........

really the only chance you had this year at making people believe was trent richardson and doug martin...... doug martin was basically the man/the starter from day 1.... so was trent richardson...... picking up david wilson cards right now would be a wing & a prayer that he "FINALLY" would have a good game, he's already been in numerous games and hasn't produced that well, so his hype level as a rookie is kinda gone, even if he's solid in the future or next year, his stuff won't really climb much. he would have to take over the league and just go crazy with stats, that's just not going to happen. if he's solid in the future the best you can probably hope for is bradshaw sales numbers, which are dismal.

Im not trolling at all, I cashed in on doug martin, david wilson is not a cash in player, you can waste your money if you like, but i'm just saying, that's a "COLLECT HIS CARDS BECAUSE I'M A GIANTS FAN" type of player.

guys can do well in the NFL and still not really get alot of hobby love, it takes certain scenario's to make or break a guy on profit levels. people have to believe the guy will be the next big thing.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Ask the baseball guys how to prospect.

Because the football guys don't have a clue.
Swingin' for the fences, barbaric Kendrick in idle time
Kendrick Lamar
FreeMan12406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMan12406 View Post
Ask the baseball guys how to prospect.

Because the football guys don't have a clue.
baseball doesn't prospect the same way as the NFL, they have a farm system. it's a completely different scenario, by the way I do both, basketball as well.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Anyone that is not a QB is usually a bad investment.
Only one RB and two WR sells in the hobby, RB-AP / WR - Calvin Johnson,Fitz.
No RB sells,not mccoy,rice,charles,foster and so on, You may see a quick price hike for few days but that is about it.
I would never invest in any RB or WR for the long run or even for a short term for that matter unless it's before the season and you can pick up a nice RC at a reasonable price.
Someone mentioned Cam in the above post and that goes for all the QB within last three years, Cam,Bradford,Stafford,Sanchez,Freeman.
All of these guys had a their RAPs at premium at one point but all took a nice dip since none of the teams are performing well but as soon as one gets on a winning streak it'lll be back up. Freeman's stuff has picked up lately.
Haiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku View Post
very good point, this was my point by mentioning bradshaws sales for the giants....

can you PM me your lowest rock bottom of lowest prices? hahahahahaha
Old 11-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
very good point, this was my point by mentioning bradshaws sales for the giants....

can you PM me your lowest rock bottom of lowest prices? hahahahahaha
And then take 40% of that.
Swingin' for the fences, barbaric Kendrick in idle time
Kendrick Lamar
FreeMan12406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #22 (permalink)

Charlie Garner, Lamont Jordan, Priest Holmes, Edgerrin James, Ladanian Tomlinson, Marshall Faulk

All mega producers, but never commanded high price billings for extended periods of time.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #23 (permalink)

The problem with the Giants RB's as far as card values go...the Giants are (1) a passing team first and (2) RB by committee second and (3) are constantly drafting new RB's every year in the draft....there is no long term back for the Giants in the future...AB is already on his way out, he'll be lucky to make it through the rest of his contract without getting dropped...if he does make it, the only reason will be because he is singed cheaply.

I didn't want to see him re-sign with the Giants myself, but at least he got another ring out of the deal so...it is what it is.

Wilson may have his time to share the load, but there will always be at least one or two more backs splitting carries and more importantly TD's. Brown had 1 carry for 1 yard and 1 TD in a game earlier this year.

Don't expect any Giants RB to be worth a lot until Coughlin and company are gone...not going to happen.

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com
mindbinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku View Post
Anyone that is not a QB is usually a bad investment.
No RB sells,not mccoy,rice,charles,foster and so on, You may see a quick price hike for few days but that is about it.
I would never invest in any RB or WR for the long run or even for a short term for that matter unless it's before the season and you can pick up a nice RC at a reasonable price.
Someone mentioned Cam in the above post and that goes for all the QB within last three years, Cam,Bradford,Stafford,Sanchez,Freeman.
All of these guys had a their RAPs at premium at one point but all took a nice dip since none of the teams are performing well but as soon as one gets on a winning streak it'lll be back up. Freeman's stuff has picked up lately.
This.

Football cards are a brutal investment. Injuries, poor resale and inconsistent/high variance stats over a relatively short season make any profit projecting on a long-term investment next to impossible.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #25 (permalink)

I guess I thought the OP was a RB kind of guy and tried to submit an alternative RB. Obviously, it's easy to say that 'no RB's are a good investment'......until you run into someone who bought a dozen Martin rookie autos about a month ago! That person might beg to differ.

My general strategy is to only buy guys that I like and won't mind keeping for a long time as PC. If they blow up, I'll sell and if not, I don't mind holding.