Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quit smoking today.....

A day after my 31st bday, I have decided to quit smoking. Been smoking since I was 19, about 1/2 a pack a day. If I'm drinking then it went up to about a pack a day....I'm doing it cold turkey, which is gonna suck.

Any advice from former smokers??

Also, all the money I do save from not smoking, I can spend and buy a box of cards once a month.

Here's to better health and hopefully some good box breaks in the future!!
Gurds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

not sure if posted in right section but let me say congrats and good luck.

buy sugarfree gum and get to chewing when you get an urge.

i quit cold turkey 10 years ago and feel great everyday! you have alot to look forward to.

hopefully your new found loot can produce some nice cards.
darealstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Good goal to set, I'm sure it's not easy. Good luck!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just the fact that you're channeling the money you spent on smokes into money you have to spend on wax should be a huge motivator Plus your body will thank you as will those around you. Good luck... it can be tough but it is a very doable goal.
jusdukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

How is this football card news?
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madbacker View Post
What kind of question is that?
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
What kind of question is that?
A relevant one.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hey man, good luck. I just quit a few weeks ago, the beginning sucks but its worth it. Busting a box a month is much healthier than smoking for sure

I sell at 80 to 85% of ebay average price, if you that doesn't work for you, I'm sorry!
MF514235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
It's football card news becuase he plans on buying more cards (more than likely of the football genre) with the money he is saving from quitting smoking... On another note - why do you feel the need to be the Football Forum Thread Police?? I'm new to the site - but I've seen a lot of the posts you've made in other threads....just immature & uncalled for. The OP is making a statement to a community of people he feels comfortable with, and is in need of support for his decision.... If you don't feel the need to support him - move the hell on and hijack the next thread.
Always looking for rare & serial #17 Alshon Jeffery cards - if you have something for sale, feel free to PM me!!
dabears_n_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to saintsfan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears_n_2012 View Post
It's football card news becuase he plans on buying more cards (more than likely of the football genre) with the money he is saving from quitting smoking... On another note - why do you feel the need to be the Football Forum Thread Police?? I'm new to the site - but I've seen a lot of the posts you've made in other threads....just immature & uncalled for. The OP is making a statement to a community of people he feels comfortable with, and is in need of support for his decision.... If you don't feel the need to support him - move the hell on and hijack the next thread.
dont bother..
saintsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Good for you! Great decision, you'll never regret it!

The first 3 days are the worst. It just sucks outright. No way around it. I did the patch the last time, helped take the edge off, but still stunk. After the first 3 days, the nicotine is out of your system, so the rest is all psychological. Its the HABIT of smoking that becomes difficult to cope with. All those times of day when you always have a smoke is when you will be struggling. Just hang with it, those moments pass in a few minutes.

Take deep breaths, it simulates the calming effect of smoking. 3 or 4 deep breaths will usually help you. I didn't do gum or other things that reinforced the hand-to-mouth or oral habit, either, but that was just me.

Don't tell a ton of people, either. Maybe a few close folks. It puts more pressure on you and you are more likely to fold. Just do it for you.

Remember: 3 weeks! Make it through the first 3 weeks and you are on your way! And don't EVER go back and have just one. You WILL start smoking again! Its like an alcoholic, you cant have just one! Trust me, this tripped me up and took me another year and a half to quit again.

Good luck! Stay strong! You can do it, I promise! YOur lungs and your wallet will thank you! (Plus, nobody likes a stinky smoker. After you've stopped for a while, you'll smell a smoker and realize how nasty it is...)
Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to slappybag

Quitters...you can't trust em
slappybag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. While yes, it might not be football news/talk, my goal is to be able to break some extra wax w/ the money I spend.

I've been thinking about quitting for awhile now, and figured after my bday was a good time to do it. There were times I didn't even want or like to smoke, I just did it to do it. It's gonna be hard when I go out and drink because smoking and drinking go hand in hand for me. I'll probably cut back on that too for a while.

It's been since 11pm since I had my last cigarette, and this day at work has been pure hell. haha. Once I get out of here and to the gym and then home to play some video games/watch MNF, I should be good.

Thanks again everyone!
Gurds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Go crawl back into you'r hole Backer
Niels50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
24 posts, huh? Look me up when your balls drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels50 View Post
Go crawl back into you'r hole Backer
I refuse to recognize someone who can't tell the difference between a Proline and Replica helmet. F-ing newbies. Making stupid threads that show a total lack of knowledge.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by briscogun View Post
Good for you! Great decision, you'll never regret it!

The first 3 days are the worst. It just sucks outright. No way around it. I did the patch the last time, helped take the edge off, but still stunk. After the first 3 days, the nicotine is out of your system, so the rest is all psychological. Its the HABIT of smoking that becomes difficult to cope with. All those times of day when you always have a smoke is when you will be struggling. Just hang with it, those moments pass in a few minutes.

Take deep breaths, it simulates the calming effect of smoking. 3 or 4 deep breaths will usually help you. I didn't do gum or other things that reinforced the hand-to-mouth or oral habit, either, but that was just me.

Don't tell a ton of people, either. Maybe a few close folks. It puts more pressure on you and you are more likely to fold. Just do it for you.

Remember: 3 weeks! Make it through the first 3 weeks and you are on your way! And don't EVER go back and have just one. You WILL start smoking again! Its like an alcoholic, you cant have just one! Trust me, this tripped me up and took me another year and a half to quit again.

Good luck! Stay strong! You can do it, I promise! YOur lungs and your wallet will thank you! (Plus, nobody likes a stinky smoker. After you've stopped for a while, you'll smell a smoker and realize how nasty it is...)
I regret it but it is all habit. One I hate quitting. But in all seriousness, good luck OP
pierrethomasfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Alright, not to scare you off or anything since you are doing the right thing but here is my story.

Pack a day since High School. Never seemed to slow me down, I still played football in school, even semi pro after I graduated (my college did not have a team) I know smoking was killing me, made my teeth and my fingers yellow and made me smell. So its not like i did it for the glamor. But I was an addict.

After about 15 years of smoking I stopped. Cold turkey. No cheats, no patches. It sucked. And it never got any better. Even after 3 months I still felt like I wanted to smoke. At least for me it never went away. I ended up gaining like 40 pounds in 8 months. So what did I do? Started smoking again cause I'm week. Dropped 50 pounds since I replaced that candy bar with a smoke and now I'm on the fence if I can do it again. Keep us up to date on what works for you! All I know is that I suck at quitting
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
Alright, not to scare you off or anything since you are doing the right thing but here is my story.

Pack a day since High School. Never seemed to slow me down, I still played football in school, even semi pro after I graduated (my college did not have a team) I know smoking was killing me, made my teeth and my fingers yellow and made me smell. So its not like i did it for the glamor. But I was an addict.

After about 15 years of smoking I stopped. Cold turkey. No cheats, no patches. It sucked. And it never got any better. Even after 3 months I still felt like I wanted to smoke. At least for me it never went away. I ended up gaining like 40 pounds in 8 months. So what did I do? Started smoking again cause I'm week. Dropped 50 pounds since I replaced that candy bar with a smoke and now I'm on the fence if I can do it again. Keep us up to date on what works for you! All I know is that I suck at quitting
holy shlt 40 pounds from candy bars???? i need to try that...but how's the heart and cholesterol from that!? hahaha
Old 11-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

You can do it! Having a nice support system certainly helps, my dad quit on Christmas two years ago. I'm so glad he did it, if you have kids I'm sure they're very proud of you. Just stay strong man.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:

You'll know when they do - should be right on your chin..... Just cause I'm new to the site doesn't mean I can't spot a douche with nothing better to do with his/her time.....
Always looking for rare & serial #17 Alshon Jeffery cards - if you have something for sale, feel free to PM me!!

Last edited by dabears_n_2012; 11-19-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Forgot Quote End Tag
Old 11-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

[QUOTE=dabears_n_2012;3668507]
Quote:

You'll know when they do - should be right on your chin..... Just cause I'm new to the site doesn't mean I can't spot a douche with nothing better to do with his/her time.....
Can't even quote properly.

Haha.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
For what it's worth this made me spit my Gatorade!
TASS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #23 (permalink)

@BackerBitch - not going to let you hijack and turn this into another pissing contest for your dumbass.....

To the OP - Good Luck man....it's a tough road - but completely worth it in the long run. Remain strong & you'll do just fine... You'll be amazed how much healthier and better you feel after a couple of weeks....
Old 11-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:

I refuse to recognize someone who can't tell the difference between a Proline and Replica helmet. F-ing newbies. Making stupid threads that show a total lack of knowledge.
dude just chill, my gosh.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurds View Post
A day after my 31st bday, I have decided to quit smoking. Been smoking since I was 19, about 1/2 a pack a day. If I'm drinking then it went up to about a pack a day....I'm doing it cold turkey, which is gonna suck.

Any advice from former smokers??

Also, all the money I do save from not smoking, I can spend and buy a box of cards once a month.

Here's to better health and hopefully some good box breaks in the future!!
I haven't smoked but my father use to all the time, he quit about a year ago and feels awesome now! Good luck!