Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng99tim View Post
I collect college cards, so I love the college products that UD has put out.
but but but...i can't get my cardinals, chiefs, jets, jaguars, raiders, cowboys, dolphins, titans, and whoever else who sucks logos....so screw UD

Last edited by 03supto; 11-29-2012 at 01:44 PM.
03supto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #27 (permalink)

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarbolt View Post
UD has gotten about as irrelevant as you can get in football. They push out UD Football fast to beat the licensed products at the start of the year then completely vanish until the end of the season basically. Then SPA gets some play really on name only, other marquee products like Contenders now dwarf it. And finally they strategically wait FOREVER to get Exquisite out so it doesn't have to go head to head with Five Star and National Treasures.

SPA is riding on brand history only at this point, and if it stays NCAA licensed even that will fade eventually.
I agree with this to an extent, but UD has done quite a nice job with the NCAA license. The cards aren't low quality crap, they're well made and to someone who collects certain players in NCAA unis, it's quite a bit better than what Sage, Leaf and PP are putting out. Sure it's more expensive, but the physical quality is still there.
Andrew Luck
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojallad View Post
I do like getting Michigan State Patches like I did from Spx

nice to see UD has put a lot of work into their QC issues...

DONT MAKE THICK CARDS IF YOU CANT DO IT IT WITHOUT THEM CHIPPING

FFS
creamybeige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #29 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03supto View Post
Exquisite leaps and bounds better than NT 2011....
Too bad it didnt come out till midway through 2012.

Always Looking for different things.... But my PC is Cincy Bengals Rc Auto's (AJ Green & Gio Bernard Mostly)
badsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
I do like getting Michigan State Patches like I did from Spx

Great patch, but the card is chipped to hell. I'll pass.
MI Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMC View Post
I agree with this to an extent, but UD has done quite a nice job with the NCAA license. The cards aren't low quality crap, they're well made and to someone who collects certain players in NCAA unis, it's quite a bit better than what Sage, Leaf and PP are putting out. Sure it's more expensive, but the physical quality is still there.
No denying they do it better than anyone with the NCAA license ever has done it. Unfortunately for them the NFL license is what sells. While college cards do appeal to some, the market they gain is much smaller than the market they lose of people who pass on it due to NCAA uniforms.

UD knows this which is why they have set up their releases the way I mentioned. Two of the three are positioned to avoid direct competition and the third (SPA) is only competing where it's at thanks to its brand history as one of those marquee products. But all the design in the world can't save it if 3-5 years from now they are still pumping out NFL stars in their old college uniforms.

I think over time the hobby will cycle over. New products will be become "marquee" and others will no longer have that distinction. What will UD do I wonder if SPA falls out of that elite category?
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/

Last edited by friarbolt; 11-29-2012 at 02:21 PM.
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Rob View Post
Great patch, but the card is chipped to hell. I'll pass.

The card is not chipped as it appears. It's something the scanner is doing.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
The card is not chipped as it appears. It's something the scanner is doing.
I think he's talking about the patch/auto

which is chipped like crazy
creamybeige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
No denying they do it better than anyone with the NCAA license ever has done it. Unfortunately for them the NFL license is what sells. While college cards do appeal to some, the market they gain is much smaller than the market they lose of people who pass on it due to NCAA uniforms.

UD knows this which is why they have set up their releases the way I mentioned. Two of the three are positioned to avoid direct competition and the third (SPA) is only competing where it's at thanks to its brand history as one of those marquee products. But all the design in the world can't save it if 3-5 years from now they are still pumping out NFL stars in their old college uniforms.

I think over time the hobby will cycle over. New products will be become "marquee" and others will no longer have that distinction. What will UD do I wonder if SPA falls out of that elite category?
I don't disagree, UD really screwed themselves over by being dirty. They could fade away fairly soon.

As for chipping, thick cards chip, when was this some revelation for folks?
Andrew Luck
Old 11-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamybeige View Post
I think he's talking about the patch/auto

which is chipped like crazy
All thick cards chip. This is nothing new. You act like UD thick cards are the only ones that chip.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #36 (permalink)

Bumping this back up

Evan Rodriguez, Bears TE, posted on his Facebook fan page he signed some cards for UD so I'm assuming 2012 SP auth.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/erodinc

Special thanks to Dean Lehmann and Upper Deck for having E-Rod sign a second round of Rookie cards tonight. Fans can look for another 265 on the market in the next few weeks
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Sp Authentic Football Thoughts-e-rod-cards.jpg  
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #37 (permalink)

nice looking set usually just the resale on the college uniform stuff is tough
Old 12-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscards101 View Post
Bumping this back up

Evan Rodriguez, Bears TE, posted on his Facebook fan page he signed some cards for UD so I'm assuming 2012 SP auth.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/erodinc

Special thanks to Dean Lehmann and Upper Deck for having E-Rod sign a second round of Rookie cards tonight. Fans can look for another 265 on the market in the next few weeks
I have absolutely no idea who this guy is. So look forward to pulling his worthless auto in your $100+ box of 2012 SP Authentic!

Really grinds my gears, only reason whatsoever someone like this gets an auto in a product like SPA is so they can have more hits to fill their boxes and produce more of them.
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
Old 12-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
I have absolutely no idea who this guy is. So look forward to pulling his worthless auto in your $100+ box of 2012 SP Authentic!

Really grinds my gears, only reason whatsoever someone like this gets an auto in a product like SPA is so they can have more hits to fill their boxes and produce more of them.
I only know him because I'm a Bears fan and he's on the Bears. Let me assure you that he is not the biggest scrub ever to have an SPA auto. At least he plays consistently. I'm sure there will be worse cards to pull.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/drew306
drew306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew306 View Post
I only know him because I'm a Bears fan and he's on the Bears. Let me assure you that he is not the biggest scrub ever to have an SPA auto. At least he plays consistently. I'm sure there will be worse cards to pull.
Oh believe me I'm not calling him out personally, plenty of scrubs getting the same treatment. But I'm sure you know where I was going with that.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:

I know you don't like the NCAA products, but this is exact same way all of these products are made.

Bo Levi Mitchell had no reason to be in Platinum other than to help fulfill the hit allotment.
Andrew Luck
Old 12-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
I know you don't like the NCAA products, but this is exact same way all of these products are made.

Bo Levi Mitchell had no reason to be in Platinum other than to help fulfill the hit allotment.
No doubt, but I will say this bothers me more because of how late in the year it is. All companies do it but at least when Mitchell was in Platinum he was a new rookie and MAYBE by some miracle could prove the world wrong. The jury wasn't out when these guys had barely entered the league.

At this point it's safe to say someone like this Bears guy is not about to go out and put a 100 yard game this weekend.

The further along the year gets the more these guys are less about speculating and more about corporate greed.

Also I believe UD has to be held to a higher standard now because of the NCAA license. It's doubly bad when a no-name gets a card this late AND he's not even in a NFL uniform. Just makes it worse.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
No doubt, but I will say this bothers me more because of how late in the year it is. All companies do it but at least when Mitchell was in Platinum he was a new rookie and MAYBE by some miracle could prove the world wrong. The jury wasn't out when these guys had barely entered the league.

At this point it's safe to say someone like this Bears guy is not about to go out and put a 100 yard game this weekend.

The further along the year gets the more these guys are less about speculating and more about corporate greed.

Also I believe UD has to be held to a higher standard now because of the NCAA license. It's doubly bad when a no-name gets a card this late AND he's not even in a NFL uniform. Just makes it worse.
I see your point, UD is not doing very well right now, so the longer they can avoid competition with the other 2 big companies, the better. Although, with their exclusive NCAA Football license, they sort of have their own niche.

Several of the guys in last year's stuff never made it to the NFL but were pretty good in college (Noel Devine is one that jumps right into my mind).
Andrew Luck
Old 12-05-2012, 01:03 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
I see your point, UD is not doing very well right now, so the longer they can avoid competition with the other 2 big companies, the better. Although, with their exclusive NCAA Football license, they sort of have their own niche.

Several of the guys in last year's stuff never made it to the NFL but were pretty good in college (Noel Devine is one that jumps right into my mind).
I was thinking of this as well, it's very true it opens up a new market. I think that's why some of their products geared toward college collectors have done well when they use Heisman winners, college legends, etc.

SPA though is still a rookie product for the patch autos though, and in that regard pulling a scrub is not good.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #45 (permalink)

Look at Bryce Brown...guy's value skyrocketed after his first game and after his second still stayed high...now he may end up back on the bench bc of fumbles... mediocore...
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:

SPA though is still a rookie product for the patch autos though, and in that regard pulling a scrub is not good.
That is quite true, and I did notice a lot of Ronald Johnson, Terrance Tolliver and Jordan Todman patches last year. Price of doing business though. UD probably paid those two guys $5-$10 a pop for those patch autos, they probably had to pay Cam $100 per patch auto.
Andrew Luck

Last edited by HBMC; 12-05-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:19 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
That is quite true, and I did notice a lot of Ronald Johnson and Terrance Tolliver & Jordan Todman patches last year. Price of doing business though. UD probably paid those two guys $5-$10 a pop for those patch autos, they probably had to pay Cam $100 per patch auto.
See I'm actually okay with the price difference on various guys, it's the circumstances that bother me.

I'm still picking on this Rodriguez guy but he's in the thread so he will have to suffer haha. Upper Deck knows he's pretty much worthless at this point. Anyone can see that. They know full well his auto will more than likely be worth almost nothing when it releases. But they do it anyway. They look at their little spreadsheets and see that they can pay him $3 an auto, get a few hundred autos of him, and make thousands thanks to the extra boxes they produce with x number of hits, one of which is this worthless auto. It's greed, plain and simple.

I guess it bothers me more with UD because you would think they would avoid stuff like this. They need to be hauling ass to keep up with Topps and Panini since they don't have a license, but yet they are content to keep on going with the flow. The Titanic just went with the flow, and it took itself straight into an iceberg....
Old 12-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #48 (permalink)

You have to have some fillers in the product. Every auto can't be a Andrew luck or bob III. That would flood the market and cost a fortune. Companies have to make money to stay in business and that would not be a great business model to achieve that goal.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyp View Post
You have to have some fillers in the product. Every auto can't be a Andrew luck or bob III. That would flood the market and cost a fortune. Companies have to make money to stay in business and that would not be a great business model to achieve that goal.
The market is already flooded.
MI Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #50 (permalink)

When are people going to realize that busting wax is just glorified lottery ticket scratching? It's really not hard to understand. How else would you have UD fill their products? When they pump out basketball products with a Jordan auto in every other box people moan and groan because of saturation and devaluation. When they put fillers in people moan to the other extreme.
ivbaseball06 is offline   Reply With Quote