Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 404
Default RGIII and Andrew Luck Exquisite RPA's

Assuming they both have Exquisite Rookie patch autos, what do you think the prices will be for Griffin and Luck when they come out (probably in 2013 sometime right?) and if they continue on the path to stardom what can you see them settling at? I was watching a Cam Newton end yesterday and it got under $800. when they came out they were close to $2k. I'm wondering if these will be good investments based on how expensive they will probably be or did the Newton fall simply because of his performance? I wish we could get these cards in NFL jerseys.

Last edited by MallcopKJ; 12-03-2012 at 03:44 AM.
MallcopKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
friarbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 7,710
Default

These won't hold value long-term because of the NCAA uniforms. Which is why the obscene prices they command out of the gate are not worth it at all.
__________________
Supercollecting Josh Johnson (University of San Diego, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cincinnati Bengals)
Collecting Chargers
, Padres, Packers, Lakers, University of San Diego alumni
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarbolt View Post
These won't hold value long-term because of the NCAA uniforms. Which is why the obscene prices they command out of the gate are not worth it at all.

So you don't think prices for Newton would still be huge if he was having a monster year?
MallcopKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
friarbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 7,710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallcopKJ View Post
So you don't think prices for Newton would still be huge if he was having a monster year?
I'm talking long-term like years from now. But even if Newton was doing well yes, it wouldn't be going for as much as it did early on.
__________________
Supercollecting Josh Johnson (University of San Diego, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cincinnati Bengals)
Collecting Chargers
, Padres, Packers, Lakers, University of San Diego alumni
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarbolt View Post
I'm talking long-term like years from now. But even if Newton was doing well yes, it wouldn't be going for as much as it did early on.
Would you say it's safe to assume then that there will never be another "it" card for football players as long as the license is gone for UD? Each sport has had the "big" product for rookies; basketball-the Lebron Exquisite RPA, Baseball-the Pujols chrome auto, Hockey- the cup. If Luck turns into the next Brady or Manning and RGII becomes an all time great, I'm wondering what the "it" card will be now.
MallcopKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
friarbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 7,710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallcopKJ View Post
Would you say it's safe to assume then that there will never be another "it" card for football players as long as the license is gone for UD? Each sport has had the "big" product for rookies; basketball-the Lebron Exquisite RPA, Baseball-the Pujols chrome auto, Hockey- the cup. If Luck turns into the next Brady or Manning and RGII becomes an all time great, I'm wondering what the "it" card will be now.
National Treasures RPA has taken up the mantle, designs arguments aside NFL licensing wins at the end of the day.
__________________
Supercollecting Josh Johnson (University of San Diego, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cincinnati Bengals)
Collecting Chargers
, Padres, Packers, Lakers, University of San Diego alumni
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarbolt View Post
National Treasures RPA has taken up the mantle, designs arguments aside NFL licensing wins at the end of the day.

Those are defiantly a solid alternative I guess! They will probably come out cheaper than the Exquisites too right?
MallcopKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
friarbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 7,710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallcopKJ View Post
Those are defiantly a solid alternative I guess! They will probably come out cheaper than the Exquisites too right?
It came out cheaper last year I believe.
__________________
Supercollecting Josh Johnson (University of San Diego, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cincinnati Bengals)
Collecting Chargers
, Padres, Packers, Lakers, University of San Diego alumni
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
chrismiller81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 1,458
Default

Once the next class of RC comes out all will be forgotten with this years draft class.. Happens every year! But Luck could be the exception to this? I think he could go down as the best QB to play the game.. His cards should hold good value if you get the right ones!
__________________
LEBRON.......KOBE......
EXQUISITES WANTED
chrismiller81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Dobber2330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 2,406
Default

Andrew Luck won't have any type of UD card.

he still has an exclusive with Press Pass for non NFL stuff and an exclusive with Panini for all of the NFL stuff
Dobber2330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Texans81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,469
Send a message via MSN to Texans81 Send a message via Yahoo to Texans81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber2330 View Post
Andrew Luck won't have any type of UD card.

he still has an exclusive with Press Pass for non NFL stuff and an exclusive with Panini for all of the NFL stuff
I guess maybe someone better explain to me what an "exclusive" means then. To me if he's got an exclusive with Panini, that means only Panini produces cards of him (or at the very least only Panini makes autographed cards of him) yet the fact that he's got autos in Topps Chrome would seem to refute that...what am I missing?
__________________
Texans81's comic book giveaways thread: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/comicbookjunkie/674983-texans81s-comic-giveaways.html#post6788137
Texans81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Headbando5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Midwest.
Posts: 1,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber2330 View Post
Andrew Luck won't have any type of UD card.

he still has an exclusive with Press Pass for non NFL stuff and an exclusive with Panini for all of the NFL stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans81 View Post
I guess maybe someone better explain to me what an "exclusive" means then. To me if he's got an exclusive with Panini, that means only Panini produces cards of him (or at the very least only Panini makes autographed cards of him) yet the fact that he's got autos in Topps Chrome would seem to refute that...what am I missing?
From what I've heard, I believe that Andrew Luck has a Leaf contract on all college cards, yes. As for NFL cards, both Upper Deck and Panini can make them (with or without autographs). But for memorabilia, such as mini helmets and jerseys, Andrew Luck is Panini exclusive.
__________________
COLLECTING AARON CURRY, RICHARD SHERMAN, DOUG BALDWIN, SEAHAWKS, and MARINERS!
Headbando5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
DanShakespeare's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,060
Default

Luck won't have a card in exquisite, so if you get an rg3 it's going to cost more in my opinion since he will be the one everyone will be going for!
__________________
#TeamConnor!

Mr. Irrelevant: The choice of Aaron Hernandez with the 180th pick gave ImNOTDanShakespeare the worst pick of the last round in terms of projected points.
DanShakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 404
Default

Sounds like the National Treasures Luck will be that much more desirable then, their Panini now right?
MallcopKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
ssbledsoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 7,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headbando5 View Post
From what I've heard, I believe that Andrew Luck has a Leaf contract on all college cards, yes. As for NFL cards, both Upper Deck and Panini can make them (with or without autographs). But for memorabilia, such as mini helmets and jerseys, Andrew Luck is Panini exclusive.
Luck has an exclusive with Press Pass for non-NFL until next June or July. Press Pass does not have a college license and neither does Leaf. Upper Deck is the only college license currently. I'm sure UD will make a Luck Exquisite Auto Patch, it'll be like all of UD's "Luck" cards that they've released as "exchange" cards for a "1st round rookie quarterback".
__________________
Current Needs: Drew Bledsoe 2009 BTL Auto's O,T; Buybacks; Butler Bulldogs (Gordon Hayward, Shelvin Mack, Matt Howard); Looking for the following: Alfonzo Dennard '12 TC Superfractor; Chandler Jones '12 TC and Bowman Sterling Superfractors; Please PM me with details
ssbledsoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
EricMetcalf21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,529
Default

Exquisite is scary, I bought a few Demarcos at around 200, looked a month later they were selling for 100. Thats last time I buy exquisite out the gate, lesson learned. Sometimes you got to pay a price to learn.
EricMetcalf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
SteelersRock245's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbledsoe View Post
Luck has an exclusive with Press Pass for non-NFL until next June or July. Press Pass does not have a college license and neither does Leaf. Upper Deck is the only college license currently. I'm sure UD will make a Luck Exquisite Auto Patch, it'll be like all of UD's "Luck" cards that they've released as "exchange" cards for a "1st round rookie quarterback".
They'll be fine if they drop it as late as they did this year. When was it August?
__________________
Paying top dollar for Justin Brown National Treasures 1/1 - it ended on eBay 7-24-14. $15 finder's fee to put me in contact with buyer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291193619864?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649
SteelersRock245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
aclben's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Fran
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMetcalf21 View Post
Exquisite is scary, I bought a few Demarcos at around 200, looked a month later they were selling for 100. Thats last time I buy exquisite out the gate, lesson learned. Sometimes you got to pay a price to learn.
Most cards drop after release though so I don't know that the Exquisite college licensing has too much to do with it. Keep in mind that Newton and Murray have also had much more mediocre Sophomore seasons so the hype around them has died down tremendously. I think if Newton had taken a step forward instead of backwards, the cards would still be hot...

However, I agree NT RPA's will be the cards to get anyway... Perhaps Topps Five Star will enter this race too if the cards have a nicer design than last year...
__________________
Check out my new site with galleries at aclben.wordpress.com
Follow me @kneepainsports
aclben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
EricMetcalf21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclben View Post
Most cards drop after release though so I don't know that the Exquisite college licensing has too much to do with it. Keep in mind that Newton and Murray have also had much more mediocre Sophomore seasons so the hype around them has died down tremendously. I think if Newton had taken a step forward instead of backwards, the cards would still be hot...

However, I agree NT RPA's will be the cards to get anyway... Perhaps Topps Five Star will enter this race too if the cards have a nicer design than last year...
Very true, Demarco is the man though, all he does to lose value is keep getting injured. If he could stay healthy (fingers crossed) look out.
EricMetcalf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 404
Default

Im with you on Murray. He is a stud when healthy. Probably a good time to buy still.
MallcopKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 404
Default

Any release dates on any of these products so far? National Treasures, Exquisite or Sp Authentic?
MallcopKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
HBMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 8,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbledsoe View Post
Luck has an exclusive with Press Pass for non-NFL until next June or July. Press Pass does not have a college license and neither does Leaf. Upper Deck is the only college license currently. I'm sure UD will make a Luck Exquisite Auto Patch, it'll be like all of UD's "Luck" cards that they've released as "exchange" cards for a "1st round rookie quarterback".
End of May. These cards will probably be manufactured and signed in early 2013. All of the hand wringing about Luck is embarrassing.

Luck and RGIII exquisite RPA's will both be big money, both colleges they played for produce lots of people with great degrees and if they're any kind of fan, they'll pay big for that card.
__________________
I PC: Dallas Cowboys, Arkansas Razorbacks, StL Cards, KC Chiefs
http://s1092.photobucket.com/albums/i413/hogsboysmavscards/
Searching for a 14 UD Chris Smith B&W #'d/10
Andrew Luck
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: COS, CO
Posts: 7,409
Default

Here's what I don't understand....why don't people realize that NCAA Upper Deck products will NEVER hold long term value?

Look at Exquisite Basketball. $900 per pack, you hit a Jordan Auto and you're still DOWN $300 on the pack.

Look at last year's Exquisite Football. $450 per pack? Once people realized that ALL of the rookie cards had "fake" patches, the cards plummeted. I mean, how many Tostitos Bowl patches did Cam have on his jersey? 9, 10?

People don't want Stanford Luck cards or Baylor Griffin cards. They want Colts and Redskins cards.

UD w/ a license = pay a mortgage payment.

UD w/o a license = explain to the wife why you tossed $300 into a shredder.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
gottagitdemjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,390
Default

No Luck = no go for me.
__________________
My Bucket: http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd324/gottagitdemjs/
gottagitdemjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
HBMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 8,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs View Post
No Luck = no go for me.
He is going to be in Exquisite
__________________
I PC: Dallas Cowboys, Arkansas Razorbacks, StL Cards, KC Chiefs
http://s1092.photobucket.com/albums/i413/hogsboysmavscards/
Searching for a 14 UD Chris Smith B&W #'d/10
Andrew Luck
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.