Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default OK, I need help--Noob Alert

This is probably against the sitE rules, but I am going to put this in the Baseball and Football threads.

So i bought on Black Friday two first boxes of 2012 Bowman Platinum Baseball, and my first box was a dud. The feedback I received was Bowman Platinum kinda just sucks anyways.

So now I am starting fresh for 2013:

What football boxes for like under $200 are the must buys for 2013? I pre ordered 5 boxes of the 2012 Topps Strata..These boxes seem OK right?

I might splurge sometimes and buy a similar special set like a Triple Threads or a Sterling box...Not bragging but money isnt the issue, so the next question on cases, what Football Cases do I need for 2013?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Texans81 Send a message via Yahoo to Texans81

well first of all, I don't think you've done anything against the site rules, there's nothing wrong with putting the same post in baseball and football because obviously different people are in each one (atleast I don't think there is, lol).

ok so I'll try and answer both of your questions and try and pick different products for each. first of all, I will note that my answers will be biased towards my own preferences for wax which is basically, base cards are boring. I tend to like to open products like Limited, Five Star, Crown Royale, etc. where its those one pack per box type things that give you two or three base cards and four or five hits. There are a few exceptions but this is a general rule of thumb for me.

So...individual boxes - Strata I think is gonna be a good choice. Contenders is another one that is always very popular and maybe some Bowman Sterling when it comes out. I've always found that to be a fun open.

Case wise is where I go with the high end stuff. Individual boxes are very hit or miss with the high end and if you miss then you're left walkin funny for a while if you follow my meaning. If you do a case though, you've got a better chance of atleast hitting one nice one that will help to maybe balance out some of the more lackluster boxes.

So for a case, if money is no matter, National Treasures, Limited, Five Star, maybe Absolute, stuff like that.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to go with!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans81 View Post
So...individual boxes - Strata I think is gonna be a good choice. Contenders is another one that is always very popular and maybe some Bowman Sterling when it comes out. I've always found that to be a fun open.

Case wise is where I go with the high end stuff. Individual boxes are very hit or miss with the high end and if you miss then you're left walkin funny for a while if you follow my meaning. If you do a case though, you've got a better chance of atleast hitting one nice one that will help to maybe balance out some of the more lackluster boxes.

So for a case, if money is no matter, National Treasures, Limited, Five Star, maybe Absolute, stuff like that.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to go with!
Thanks for the reply. In the baseball a guy brought up an excellent question to me that I feel I need to relay here.

I am looking primarily for rookies if that makes a difference in the buying?
Old 12-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBDOE View Post
Thanks for the reply. In the baseball a guy brought up an excellent question to me that I feel I need to relay here.

Well you probably wont have any problem if you are looking for rookies. Pretty much every set that is pumped out nowadays is just full of rookies. Even something like TTT, at least when it comes to football. I usually see like 6 cases of TTT football busted before I witness a veteran auto come out of that stuff. Whereas in TTT baseball veterans/retired are very common. In regards to what to buy, the sad fact is alot of the time you really wont know what is good product until it comes out. So often you just see an info/sales sheet and think its going to be great and it turns out to be a complete flop, other times it turns out to be better than expected. This is especially true for new products. But there are definately a few products that you pretty much know what to expect year from year. In football I would say those are sets like Chrome, TTT, and Contenders. In BB I would say bowman sterling, elite, and chrome. What you could do is wait till the release and watch all the breaks of it that you can to get an idea what comes out. If it looks like its really good stuff you can probably hit up the big wax selling sites and still get it for the same price or maybe slightly more than the presale price. But you would have to do it immediately. If you wait even a day that gives everyone else the chance to jump on it who watched the breaks to and the price will go up. Or if the product just isnt that impressive then at least you didnt prebuy and can wait for the prices to drop if its still something that interests you.

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Texans81 Send a message via Yahoo to Texans81

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBDOE View Post

nope...not really. rookies are the primary focus of almost every set that comes out in football and the ones I listed are some of the more popular ones in terms of sought after rookie cards with Chrome, Contenders and NT probably at the top of the list.