Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by George19 View Post
It's so funny how people get all high and mighty when I just drop a line about maximizing profits...we all do it, but has been said in the past; pigs get fat and hogs get slauthered.

I am not hating on the OP at all about maximizing profits, but s/he should know when to take a great offer and run with it. You never know about tomorrow and Luck could become injured; thus, having the value decrease XXXfold.

Great job, and now let's just hope that the buyer pays!

All these damn buyers who aren't paying for their auctions; hope this doesn't happen to you!

Keep us updated...

G
I tend to agree with this. Its amazing how many amazing cards you continually see on Ebay because people vastly overestimate the value of the card and refuse to sell it unless they get the extremely high price that they have set in their heads. A year or so later and they still have the card and its value has been cut in half.

Good sale, I couldn't imagine making a 10K profit off of one card.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #52 (permalink)

Great sale OP.....

Who agrees with everyone else and thinks it will show up around playoff time with a 9.5 grade?

Who then thinks Leaf will buy it up and put in the next round of Leaf Best of Product?
armyatc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyatc22 View Post
Great sale OP.....

Who agrees with everyone else and thinks it will show up around playoff time with a 9.5 grade?

Who then thinks Leaf will buy it up and put in the next round of Leaf Best of Product?

i had messaged brian at leaf but hadn't heard back from him. the buyer upped his offer another grand and i figured it was time to sell. NO DOUBT IN MY MIND THAT THIS CARD WOULD GRADE A 9.5/10 AUTO so i hope that he does get it graded
scotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyatc22 View Post
Great sale OP.....

I'm assuming the first buyer of this card will be grading it and listing it for 25k and waiting for luck to make the playoffs to make a couple grand on it. I don't think Leaf has a chance of getting a hold of this card this soon.
cjsayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #55 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC80_LCM View Post
I tend to agree with this. Its amazing how many amazing cards you continually see on Ebay because people vastly overestimate the value of the card and refuse to sell it unless they get the extremely high price that they have set in their heads. A year or so later and they still have the card and its value has been cut in half.

When you have thousands invested in a card or cards it is not like you can just let it go for 200 or something which is what most people think is fair these days...that is why most sellers have prices set high to avoid lowballers, serious price = serious buyer, let's talk, you offer i counter, etc... You hold out in hopes players comes back from injury and does well etc...or you pull the best card this hobby has ever seen you should listen to offers for probably a month or so and give everyone a chance...I firmly believe owner sold it cheap...but it is his card, if he is happy with it good deal...
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber2330 View Post
If you have a 10K offer on a current card of a guy who can blow his knee tomorrow and you have not taken it already then I question your sanity.

Remember pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered...
Colin Cowherd said this today!! Congrats on the sale!!
http://s421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/Koppper/Sports%20Card%20Collection/
Koppper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #57 (permalink)

I personally talked to the buyer of the card and the current plans are to hold onto it. Now that very well may change if the colts make the playoffs but the really cool thing. He currently owns the andrew luck topps chrome super NON auto and just bought the RG# super NON auto today. he will have 3 of the 4 best cards in existence from chrome!
scotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboooler View Post
Probably shouldn't pull the "high and mighty" card when you used the word "greedy" to describe someone who hasn't accepted $10k just because he paid $90 or whatever for the box. Who are you to judge his situation or tell him what's a good offer and what isn't? You didn't say, "$10k is a great price for that card, I'd probably take that," rather you suggested, in a thinly veiled sense, that he's greedy and should just be thankful to receive such an offer. That type of thinking lacks context.

The guy's got a five figure card... it's a once in a lifetime type deal. He wants to make sure he gets the most out of it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Maybe you can just shrug off $2000 because, like you implied, profit is profit, but maybe he doesn't want to? There's a difference between $10k and $12k, and that difference means different things to different people. I think it's awfully "high and mighty" to imply someone's greedy for trying to get that extra money.
--Not sure where to start with this, so I might as well end it before I even start it! Don't want to get all high and mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC80_LCM View Post

--People get told otherwise around here; especially when you vocalize your opinion. Oh well; it is what it is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorsharp79 View Post
When you have thousands invested in a card or cards it is not like you can just let it go for 200 or something which is what most people think is fair these days...that is why most sellers have prices set high to avoid lowballers, serious price = serious buyer, let's talk, you offer i counter, etc... You hold out in hopes players comes back from injury and does well etc...or you pull the best card this hobby has ever seen you should listen to offers for probably a month or so and give everyone a chance...I firmly believe owner sold it cheap...but it is his card, if he is happy with it good deal...
--I agree with you on listening to other offers, but the player can be injured at any moment; thus, decreasing the sale value. Personally, I think the OP should have sent it in for grading and easily made more money. He could have flown down to Dallas and did the fastest service and then go from there, just my .002.

Either way, great sale for the OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppper View Post
Colin Cowherd said this today!! Sell the card if you get 10K for sure my man!!
--Yup!

G
George19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #59 (permalink)

If it wouldnt be impolite to ask, where is your buyer located?
pga-ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts View Post
I personally talked to the buyer of the card and the current plans are to hold onto it. Now that very well may change if the colts make the playoffs but the really cool thing. He currently owns the andrew luck topps chrome super NON auto and just bought the RG# super NON auto today. he will have 3 of the 4 best cards in existence from chrome!
... guess he couldn't spare the 8k to buy the RGIII auto super
cjsayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #61 (permalink)

Congrats on a great sale of a great card. Cool that the guy has will have 3 of the 4 best cards in the set.
jusdukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow! That is impressive for sure! Has the RG3 Super Auto been pulled yet? If so, I am sure he is on the hunt for it.

Did you happen to ask how high he would have gone?

G
Old 12-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #63 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Wow! That is impressive for sure! Has the RG3 Super Auto been pulled yet? If so, I am sure he is on the hunt for it.

Did you happen to ask how high he would have gone?

G
yes, it sold for 8,000 a day or two ago...
Old 12-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow crazy! Put offers on both, yours and the non auto RG3. That guy def has some great cards! Btw congrats on your sale!!!
highendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #65 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboooler View Post
Probably shouldn't pull the "high and mighty" card when you used the word "greedy" to describe someone who hasn't accepted $10k just because he paid $90 or whatever for the box. Who are you to judge his situation or tell him what's a good offer and what isn't? You didn't say, "$10k is a great price for that card, I'd probably take that," rather you suggested, in a thinly veiled sense, that he's greedy and should just be thankful to receive such an offer. That type of thinking lacks context.

The guy's got a five figure card... it's a once in a lifetime type deal. He wants to make sure he gets the most out of it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Maybe you can just shrug off $2000 because, like you implied, profit is profit, but maybe he doesn't want to? There's a difference between $10k and $12k, and that difference means different things to different people. I think it's awfully "high and mighty" to imply someone's greedy for trying to get that extra money.
Excellent post.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #66 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:

--I agree with you on listening to other offers, but the player can be injured at any moment; thus, decreasing the sale value. Personally, I think the OP should have sent it in for grading and easily made more money. He could have flown down to Dallas and did the fastest service and then go from there, just my .002.

Either way, great sale for the OP!

This is absolutely true, but the same can be said for any investment.

Buy $100K in APPL stock and watch it rise to $125K (today). You can sell. Or you can hold. What if an accounting scandal becomes public tomorrow?

Buy $100K in AstraZeneca and watch it rise to $125K. What do you do? Nexium could be banned for some new side effect,crashing the value.

Anytime you hold something of value you also carry some risk that the value will fluctuate. How you handle it depends on how adverse to risk you are.

I made up those examples. Don't throw your Nexium away.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
This is absolutely true, but the same can be said for any investment.

Buy $100K in APPL stock and watch it rise to $125K (today). You can sell. Or you can hold. What if an accounting scandal becomes public tomorrow?

Buy $100K in AstraZeneca and watch it rise to $125K. What do you do? Nexium could be banned for some new side effect,crashing the value.

Anytime you hold something of value you also carry some risk that the value will fluctuate. How you handle it depends on how adverse to risk you are.

I made up those examples. Don't throw your Nexium away.
I agree with you to an extent. I do day-trading, so I can see where you are coming from in regards to the stock market, but at least those losses will slowly decrease UNLIKE that of the Andrew Luck. He can be playing and get injured and be out for a while and that 10k card fell to 1k. Stocks will slowly lose value.

Are you a fan of Apple stock? I just can't get into their stock at this price point, since I had many shares at a lower value and then sold later for a nice profit.

G
Old 12-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku View Post
Cool card and even cooler profit!
I was looking to purchase one but wasn't quite sure what I wanted to offer on it.
$11k is tremendous amount of money for a modern day card and you made a very wise move to sell the card.
Lot of us fall victim to over valuing our card and victim of greed and at times,It bites us at the end.
Congrats on the sale and I don't think there's much money left to me made for the buyer at that price.
Haiku is absolutely correct about this card. The ceiling can only go up much at all if Luck turns into Peyton Manning v 2.0, and he might need to win multiple SB Trophies before that could happen. I have a great outlook for Luck too, he has the demeanor to be a winner and a selfless attitude which is perfect for the Colts, but IMO, anything more than $12k for this card in its current state is ludicrous.
Andrew Luck

Last edited by HBMC; 12-04-2012 at 04:13 PM.
HBMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree with you to an extent. I do day-trading, so I can see where you are coming from in regards to the stock market, but at least those losses will slowly decrease UNLIKE that of the Andrew Luck. He can be playing and get injured and be out for a while and that 10k card fell to 1k. Stocks will slowly lose value.

Are you a fan of Apple stock? I just can't get into their stock at this price point, since I had many shares at a lower value and then sold later for a nice profit.

G
I HIGHLY doubt that would happen. It would fall somewhat, maybe significantly, but not to $1k. There would still be plenty of speculators who would have no problem buying it for far more than $1k and holding onto it until next year.
t2554 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #70 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMC View Post
Haiku is absolutely correct about this card. The ceiling can only go up much at all if Luck turns into Peyton Manning v 2.0, and he might need to win multiple SB Trophies before that could happen. I have a great outlook for Luck too, he has the demeanor to be a winner and a selfless attitude which is perfect for the Colts, but IMO, anything more than $12k for this card in its current state is ludicrous.
My opinion is this is the single biggest card to be pulled in the history of the football hobby. He pulled it saturday, sold it on tuesday, good for him. But a card of this stature should IMO have been graded (hate grading 1/1s, but buyer knows what he is getting sorta type deal so makes it harder to dispute later) and shopped out to potentials for at least a month since they look to possibly be playoff bound, this gives him the best bang for his buck...

It will be back up in a month or so from one of the usual flippers for absurd coin..my gut tells me it will bring 18-20k within 2 months if 9.5/10 especially if COLTS make playoffs and Lucks throws for nearly 5,000 yards...
Old 12-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #71 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
My opinion is this is the single biggest card to be pulled in the history of the football hobby. He pulled it saturday, sold it on tuesday, good for him. But a card of this stature should IMO have been graded (hate grading 1/1s, but buyer knows what he is getting sorta type deal so makes it harder to dispute later) and shopped out to potentials for at least a month since they look to possibly be playoff bound, this gives him the best bang for his buck...

It will be back up in a month or so from one of the usual flippers for absurd coin..my gut tells me it will bring 18-20k within 2 months if 9.5/10 especially if COLTS make playoffs and Lucks throws for nearly 5,000 yards...
Single biggest card?Let's not get carried away now.
I know we all fall into the hype and we ride the waves but come on now..
The kid has had 12 pro games and now it's the biggest card in the Hobby?
Haiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
at 11k..a reseller will get it, grade it 9.5/10... list it for 49,999 obo and probably get around 20k for it...i was about to go to the bank and transfer the money but he sold it...the biggest no brainer on 11k i have ever SEEN and a easy double up...

and there is nothing wrong with being greedy to and extent... it is his card...if he wanted 30k who am i to complain...the greed would be wanting 15k and turning down 14,500k etc...
agree completely.. Regardless, seller got paid n had thrill of pulling it.. Win Win...
Old 12-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #73 (permalink)

All i say is make sure you insure that card . I'd ship VIA UPS or Fedex . Also make sure you put adult signature required . Just to cover your self incase any issues come up.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Again, my thoughts exactly.

If it sells for that much, people have officially lost their minds.
Andrew Luck
HBMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #75 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Well name another that has more potential, I am open to debate...don't matter how many games he has under his belt. Kid is likely to throw for nearly 5,000 yards, has peyton manning ever done that let alone his rookie season?

Not to mention lead a 1-15 to the playoffs the following season...which is remarkable more so than any other feat IMO