Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default So blowout sent me the wrong box, and this is how it was handled

Okay, so it's no secret that my oldest son Dane who is 4 likes to open packs of cards. I sold his Clay Matthews SPA auto rc to a member here, and after fees and shipping on the sale portion, it was around $30. I always match whatever money he gets. So he has $60 to work with. I needed some supplies, so I ordered a ton on blowout, and a box of 2012 Prime Signatures ($60 box)

I come home for lunch so Dane could bust, but the wife already laid both boys down so I went in the basement, opened the contents and set the box on a shelf.

After dinner, I grabbed his box and he proceeded to open it.

He shows me an autograph that he pulled and it's Mark Herzlich. I think to myself "WTF is Herzlich doing in a 2012 product?"

Low and behold, the box is 2011 Prime Signatures. I've never opened either product, so I wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between boxes.

I grab my receipt thinking I ordered the wrong box. Nope, got billed for 2012, shipped 2011.

So, we are SOL. We already opened the box, so it's not like I can return it.

I emailed Danny, explained the situation. Basically just to put people on notice so they don't ship the wrong things to other unsuspecting buyers. I admitted it was my fault because I didn't closely examine the box before opening, and wasn't asking for a refund or anything of the sort. I just wanted to raise awareness, as some people couldn't withstand a $60 loss.

He emails me this morning stating to take a pic of the box and contents, he'll shoot it over to his sales dept and see if they will refund me $24 (2011 prime sigs is listed at $36, 2012 is $60)

I said that's fine and I can take some pics when I get home from work and shoot him an email this evening. I also mentioned that he could just credit my account $24, as I'm sure I'll order sometime in the near future.

He replied and gave me a $24 gift certificate in my account to offset the price between 2011 and 2012.

They didn't technically have to do anything, as it was my own fault for not realizing it was 2011 rather than 2012, but they made it right with me anyway.

Sorry for the long read, but I just wanted to share my experience with how blowout treats their customers. They have and always will be my exclusive company for my online orders.

Thank you again Danny and Blowoutcards.
tnarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to saintsfan9

why dont you think they had to do anything? the very least they could/should do is refund you the difference, which is what they did.

just my opinion.
saintsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

clay matthews spa rc auto for $30........... nice!!!
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Qwasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfan9 View Post
why dont you think they had to do anything? the very least they could/should do is refund you the difference, which is what they did.

just my opinion.
I think you missed the part about opening the box - after that they don't have to do anything.

If a store ships me the wrong size sweater, and I wear it and have it dry cleaned, I can't then return it because I noticed their mistake after I made the mistake of not checking it over.

Or what if Best Buy sends me Madden 12 instead of Madden 13 - I play it over and over again - and then I realize I want Madden 13. Is Best Buy going to refund me the $25 purchase price difference because I didn't check it when I got it? And then I used it?

Grant is right - it's very nice of BO to do (and I'd expect nothing less) - but once that box is opened it's on the buyer for not inspecting it.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Danny and the BO crew have always taken care of me whenever I had an issue. Great customer service. Glad you got everything taken care of!

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
I think you missed the part about opening the box - after that they don't have to do anything.

If a store ships me the wrong size sweater, and I wear it and have it dry cleaned, I can't then return it because I noticed their mistake after I made the mistake of not checking it over.

Or what if Best Buy sends me Madden 12 instead of Madden 13 - I play it over and over again - and then I realize I want Madden 13. Is Best Buy going to refund me the $25 purchase price difference because I didn't check it when I got it? And then I used it?

Grant is right - it's very nice of BO to do (and I'd expect nothing less) - but once that box is opened it's on the buyer for not inspecting it.
no I actually didn't miss the part where he opened it. Why would it matter if he opened it? They still sent him a box thats almost half the price. It's a good thing he noticed, regardless of when.

If you go to bestbuy and pick up madden 12 instead of 13 thats your own fault. They shpped this to grant so it's not his fault. Not really something to compare.

If you put on a sweater and it was the wrong size you would know right away. If it didn't fit why did you wear it?

Lol I know those are just example but they are awful ones.

I'm not trying to argue here but there is no reason BO should have kept the profit of sending him the wrong box.

The box is opened sure, but it's not like he is trying to return an opened box. He is keeping it, so it makes sense to refund the difference. Yes, BO is a great place but I dont see this as an example of great customer service. It's what I would expect from BO or just about anyone else to do.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

Um, yes they would have to pay you back the difference! I think what people are missing here is that he ordered 2012 and it says 2012 on the receipt, then he got 2011 which is a much cheaper product. Even if they messed up and opened it without double checking the year on the box, the customer is not obligated to pay $60 for the box of 2011 when they sell for $36. It would be the same case regarding the video game. If you ordered online and paid say $60 for the new version of the game, but they accidently shipped you the old version which sells for $35, even if you opened it and they wouldnt take it back the least they should do is refund you the difference in price. Why should someone not be expected to get a refund for the difference in price when the item they received is $25 cheaper in the first place? As one other poster said, the minimum blowout should do is refund you the difference in the box prices which they did with no problems. Obviously they could have given more if they wanted to, but they arent obligated necessarily to do so

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/

Last edited by GOWIFB; 12-06-2012 at 03:27 PM.
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Its funny since on Black friday another website had 2011 Topps USA box sets for $50 and I emailed blowout for a price match as I wanted quite a few...and they said they had no intentions on matching it...so I was forced to spend $350 else where....

goodthing this guy didnt recieve it...

Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm in the retail automobile biz, so trust me we deal with what we refer to as "opportunities" (pissed off customers) several times daily, so all I can say is that mistakes are made, and it's telling about a company on how they deal with it.

Hats off to your post. 99.9% of the time customers blast a company and rarely do they ever give praise.

I honestly was expecting this to be a nasty post from the Thread title.

My 2-cents, which is meaningless, and as I am new here and to collecting, it also seems like Blowout handled it well too.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

thats a fair deal for all involved i think...i'd be happy with it...i'm with the OP in that once it's been opened then BO didn't have to really do anything. Nice gesture for them to refund the difference after the fact.

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com
mindbinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Will the next thing you tell us is that there is no Santa Claus?

Sure Blowout made a mistake, but they handled it in a way that made the customer happy. That is a definition of customer service.

Quote:
no I actually didn't miss the part where he opened it. Why would it matter if he opened it? They still sent him a box thats almost half the price. It's a good thing he noticed, regardless of when.

If you go to bestbuy and pick up madden 12 instead of 13 thats your own fault. They shpped this to grant so it's not his fault. Not really something to compare.

If you put on a sweater and it was the wrong size you would know right away. If it didn't fit why did you wear it?

I'm not trying to argue here but there is no reason BO should have kept the profit of sending him the wrong box.

The box is opened sure, but it's not like he is trying to return an opened box. He is keeping it, so it makes sense to refund the difference. Yes, BO is a great place but I dont see this as an example of great customer service. It's what I would expect from BO or just about anyone else to do.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:

just my opinion.
Clearly states on the receipt to inspect all items before opening. That gets them off the hook for everything. So I didn't feel they needed to do anything. I'm glad they did, but it wasn't necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWIFB View Post
Um, yes they would have to pay you back the difference! I think what people are missing here is that he ordered 2012 and it says 2012 on the receipt, then he got 2011 which is a much cheaper product. Even if they messed up and opened it without double checking the year on the box, the customer is not obligated to pay $60 for the box of 2011 when they sell for $36. It would be the same case regarding the video game. If you ordered online and paid say $60 for the new version of the game, but they accidently shipped you the old version which sells for $35, even if you opened it and they wouldnt take it back the least they should do is refund you the difference in price. Why should someone not be expected to get a refund for the difference in price when the item they received is $25 cheaper in the first place? As one other poster said, the minimum blowout should do is refund you the difference in the box prices which they did with no problems. Obviously they could have given more if they wanted to, but they arent obligated necessarily to do so
States on the receipt to inspect everything before opening. What happens if someone pulls terrible cards from their box, goes to their lcs and buys the same product with a different year, then complains they didn't get their advertised merchandise. There are some very dishonest people out there, so they have to protect themselves. Like I said, I wasn't anticipating anything, nor was I asking for anything. I just wanted them to be aware of the mistake, so it doesn't happen to anybody else. They handled it professionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBDOE View Post
I'm in the retail automobile biz, so trust me we deal with what we refer to as "opportunities" (pissed off customers) several times daily, so all I can say is that mistakes are made, and it's telling about a company on how they deal with it.

Hats off to your post. 99.9% of the time customers blast a company and rarely do they ever give praise.

I honestly was expecting this to be a nasty post from the Thread title.

My 2-cents, which is meaningless, and as I am new here and to collecting, it also seems like Blowout handled it well too.
Yep, buncha good dudes on blowout
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Will the next thing you tell us is that there is no Santa Claus?

Sure Blowout made a mistake, but they handled it in a way that made the customer happy. That is a definition of customer service.
Exactly.
tnarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post

I think he's satisfied with how it was handled, but not happy.
He would have been happy had he actually received what he bought...

The fact that they refunded him the difference was good, but also to be expected. Personally I feel they should have done more than just the difference when it was their fault that they shipped the wrong item.
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
I think he's satisfied with how it was handled, but not happy.
He would have been happy had he actually received what he bought...

The fact that they refunded him the difference was good, but also to be expected. Personally I feel they should have done more than just the difference when it was their fault that they shipped the wrong item.
Agree. It is their fault... No matter whether you opened it already or not.

Also Collect: Iowa State, Iowa, Aaron Murray!!!
IowaCubs1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

happened to me on BlowoutTV with a BC order....everybody was snatching up 2012 BC on release so I had the itch for 2011 BC....

I paid the more expensive box fee with paypal receipt to prove....and on comes Danny with a 2012 box of BC.

I emaled in time prior to his busting....he opened the right product and was extremely apologetic of almost "ruining" the break.

Either way like members have stated, BO customer service has never let me down.

Good on you to acknowledge them.

On a different note...must be fun for the 4 1/2 year old playing with the packs...must be anxiety filled for you

My son is nearly 11 and I'm on him like a hawk

We always go over with some commons on how to open the pack and remove the cards...I know I must be driving him nuts but he got it down
darealstunna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWIFB View Post
Yeah - go ahead and try that if you open something you order online, use it, and realize after the fact that it was the wrong thing. Good luck getting your $$ back for the difference.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:

Dude - clearly I was talking about ordering Madden 12 vs. 13 online...

If open it, use it, and make it not in new condition to return (which obviously an open box isn't) there is 0% chance that Best Buy is just going to pay me back the difference if I didn't notice the error when it was shipped to me and I opened it and used it.

Once it's opened or used it's on the buyer for not checking.

Again - Blowout has top notch service - but to assume they owe anything back after a box that isn't inspected is opened is just not reality.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

BO did the right thing, but I would expect that from any good company.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

I would be dissapointed that the 2012 might have yeilded a descent auto instead of the herlich. sorry for your loss.
Ive only ordered one box from Blowout back in 2008. It was a hobby box of 2007 Prestige football and almost all of the packs literally fell open as I started to make my tear at the top of the pack leading my to beleie that this box for sure was tampered with and any Adrian Peterson rc had been plucked if it were there. I got absolute garbage in that box as well.
Needless to say, I have never taken the step to trust enough to purchase another box from them.
Trueduckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

Kudos to BO for correcting a mistake withoit giving a run around trying to get out of it.

Kudos to Grant for handling it like an adult instead of throwing a hissy fit and demanding $2k in free product to make it right.
bigzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Dude - clearly I was talking about ordering Madden 12 vs. 13 online...

If open it, use it, and make it not in new condition to return (which obviously an open box isn't) there is 0% chance that Best Buy is just going to pay me back the difference if I didn't notice the error when it was shipped to me and I opened it and used it.

Once it's opened or used it's on the buyer for not checking.

Again - Blowout has top notch service - but to assume they owe anything back after a box that isn't inspected is opened is just not reality.
So in your eyes, it would be ok if they said, too bad, we shipped u cheaper stuff.

And to the person that said inspect it before you open it. I can go buy 5 boxes of 2011 at a hobby storey. order 2012 and say I got 2011. unopened. just as easily as opened.

I never said that they have bad service, BO is awesome. I just dont think that fixing their mistake is something extraordinary
Old 12-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to KeithKards

That's some good customer service. You hardly see that anymore these days.
KeithKards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #23 (permalink)

If there was an award for level headed members I believe that Tnarg would be the winner. Tnarg had a fantastic attitude through his entire explanation of this situation.

What really cements the Tnarg legend was his handling of Imac several months ago. Instead of playing the lowball bait and switch he walked away. Let me repeat, walked away and handled himself like a true gentlemen in the Imac thread that started it all.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah - go ahead and try that if you open something you order online, use it, and realize after the fact that it was the wrong thing. Good luck getting your $$ back for the difference.
I think you might be talking about two different things here. We are talking about if they have to pay you the difference back if you happen to open the item and realize after the fact it is the wrong thing. Again, yes they do have to pay you the difference back because they sent you the wrong item. Now, if you want to go a step further and talk about if they dont believe you or something, that is a different situation. But again, all we have been talking about is if they send you the wrong item and you use it do they have to reimburse you the difference between the cost of the items and the answer is yes. The other poster, saintsfan9, is correct here that it doesnt seem like its some grand gesture that they are refunding the difference in box price. That is what they should have done and its good to hear that it went smoothly.

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #25 (permalink)

Did Panini mis-label some of their cases. I saw Chris break a case of 2011 Prime Signatures but the outside case was labeled 2012. At least I think I remember seeing that because I was confused and has to rewind the video.
crazycards1981 is offline   Reply With Quote