Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Redemptions Expiring

My only question is why the heck do they expire?
The only reason they are in there is because they did not have the real autograph at the time correct? So, it is a placeholder for the real autograph that essentially was left out because the card manufacturer dropped the ball in some form or fashion. So, as far that goes, they may as well come to your house in three years and steal the Andre Luck auto that you actually did get in the pack.

The redemptions should never expire, and I think it is the biggest trick the card manufacturers have ever played on collectors.
panamamyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

They can't hold onto cards forever. No company has the resources to hold thousands of random autos in storage in case ten years from now somebody busts a box of 2012 product and pulls a redemption.

I suppose they could replace redemptions, but again no company will ever have enough autos in storage to cover every redemption ever made for eternity.
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Actually the biggest trick is the redemptions themselves.
Branesergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarbolt View Post
They can't hold onto cards forever. No company has the resources to hold thousands of random autos in storage in case ten years from now somebody busts a box of 2012 product and pulls a redemption.

I suppose they could replace redemptions, but again no company will ever have enough autos in storage to cover every redemption ever made for eternity.
When did 3 years become an eternity? The whole redemption system is a sham.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/drew306
drew306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Yea if you watch Chri5784 on YouTube aka the hobby box Chris had been breaking 07 products for people and someone hit a drew Brees and Reggie Wayne redemption...boy would I be upset. Then Chris has to tell them to mail it in and get entered in a drawing from UD lol
pierrethomasfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew306 View Post
When did 3 years become an eternity? The whole redemption system is a sham.
The OP suggested they should never expire which is what I was referring to. Not the current situation.
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
Old 12-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarbolt View Post
The OP suggested they should never expire which is what I was referring to. Not the current situation.
Fair enough. 10 years would be too long but they should definitely extend the time limit on expiration or at least improve the program for expired redemptions. I love what Topps is doing with the blue wave packs for Chrome, something like that should become a trend. I know that Panini includes a "Kobe Pack" in some of there basketball products, I think that each company should mail you a pack similar to the Black Friday or Fathers Day promotional packs with each redemption.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/drew306
drew306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew306 View Post
Fair enough. 10 years would be too long but they should definitely extend the time limit on expiration or at least improve the program for expired redemptions. I love what Topps is doing with the blue wave packs for Chrome, something like that should become a trend. I know that Panini includes a "Kobe Pack" in some of there basketball products, I think that each company should mail you a pack similar to the Black Friday or Fathers Day promotional packs with each redemption.
I think the expiration could be a year or two later. Also a larger focus on awareness. Make expiration dates clear and obvious on boxes. Make continuous updates on what products are nearing expiration.

But a line has to be drawn somewhere. If you do the above I think at that point it's on the collector to be aware of the situation when busting older product.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Why do they ever expire though?
You got the card in your pack. The card belongs to you. Why should they give you a time limit on when to pick it up?
If they don't have the warehouse space to store these cards, then they need to come up with a better system.

It's not like a ticket for an event that is going to happen. Those should expire of course. It's not a drawing, which has to happen at a certain time.

They ostensibly have an Andrew Luck auto in their warehouse that they are housing for you so that they do not have to put it in the pack. Does the Andrew Luck disintegrate after three years?
I could conceivably go to my local storage place, and buy, for $500/month, a room big enough to hold a couple of million cards. Heck, I can hold 250,000 easy just in my spare bedroom's closet in my house.

There is no reason for them not to hold on to the cards until such time that they go out of business one day or you redeem it.

Again, it's just the way it has always been, so that's why it seems to make sense. Once you think about it though, it just makes absolutely zero sense that they expire.
panamamyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah I agree 3 years is a bunch of BS. It makes quite a few older products not even worth busting. There is no worse feeling than opening a pack to find a redemption of a GREAT PLAYER only to find out its expired! I'd love to know what goes with all the cards that the companies have in hand after the redemption cards expire. I'm sure some are sent out for replacements due to others that could not be filled. But I'm also sure that quite a few most likely make their way out the back door as well. The fact is that collectors are charged an arm and a leg for boxes these days. The redemption cards should not expire! If they don't have that particular card they should redeem it for a card of similar value. No drawings or maybe you'll get lucky and they'll honor it BS! They sold the produced the product and it clearly states "X number of hits per box" and that's what you should get no matter when the product is purchased.....................
chris43 is offline   Reply With Quote