Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why is getting a jersey framed so expensive?

I have a couple autographed jerseys displayed in my house, but they're not framed.

Part of the reason why is because every time I go to a hobby shop or come across someone who frames jerseys--they always quote me a ridiculous price.

I don't wanna pay $100-$250 to frame my jersey. Heck, I don't want to pay more than $50! lol (although $50 would be reasonable).

Anyone ever buy their own frame and "frame" their own jersey?
calbearsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

My wife and I framed my Ozzie Smith jersey with 5 inscriptions - looks ok

The problem is that everybody tries to rip everybody off!
MrSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

I framed my cam rookie auto jersey and my Marcus lattimore gamecock auto jersey, and yes they are expensive. I got UV protected glass on both of mine, so sunlight doesn't fade the jersey and auto. Both cost me a pretty penny. Anyways, good luck on your decision.

Last edited by frankhoover; 12-30-2012 at 09:49 PM.
frankhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Getting ANYTHING professionally framed costs a boatload. I had 2 - 16x20s framed for my house. Suede double matting, high end frames, etc. Cost about $700 for the pair.

All of my pictures have cost, minimum, $125. My Lemieux Signed 93 Leaf Ad that about 36 x 28? Yeah, that was $400.

If you want quality, you have to pay for it. And I'm not talking the crafts store quality, a real frame shop.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madbacker View Post
Getting ANYTHING professionally framed costs a boatload. I had 2 - 16x20s framed for my house. Suede double matting, high end frames, etc. Cost about $700 for the pair.

All of my pictures have cost, minimum, $125. My Lemieux Signed 93 Leaf Ad that about 26 x 28? Yeah, that was $400.
truth...my stuff costs more to get framed than the stuff does most of the time lol.

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com
mindbinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbinge View Post
truth...my stuff costs more to get framed than the stuff does most of the time lol.
Truth, right back at ya......
Old 12-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Go to michaels they are like $100 there but they also have 50% off coupons and the frames or display cases are pretty nice.
nickha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Yep, the mark up on framing is absurd. Luckily my Dad learned how to do it back when he was selling sports art. Nso I get mine done at cost, which is about 80-85% less then what the pro's charge.
sdoug76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah both of the frames cost more than the jerseys are worth.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ive tried doing it myself, but the quality of available products and my workmanship are pretty crappy.

Although it costs quite a bit, I have this place in Baltimore that I get all of my work done at and I think the superior quality is well worth it.

Its just one of those things where I'd rather pay an expert to do it for me, than learn to do it myself.

http://s1236.photobucket.com/dukefan1collection
Jtoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickha2 View Post
Go to michaels they are like $100 there but they also have 50% off coupons and the frames or display cases are pretty nice.
NO! Do not go to Michael's. Go to a real frame store that will have the UV glass and the expertise to frame it correctly.

The women in the Michael's near me remind me of bored housewives who put a picture in a frame at the house, thought it looked good and got a job at Michael's.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbinge View Post
That's the thing that's frustrating! I don't see the point in paying more for something to be displayed than I paid for the item itself!!!

What's the difficult part about framing though? It seems like people are bringing up two issues:

1.) the frame / glass itself is expensive

2.) the professional workmanship (which is apparently important) is expensive

I can understand having expensive materials, but...maybe because I haven't done it myself, but it doesn't seem too difficult to frame it yourself.

See link: Comprehensive Guide to Custom Jersey Frames
calbearsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madbacker View Post
NO! Do not go to Michael's. Go to a real frame store that will have the UV glass and the expertise to frame it correctly.

The women in the Michael's near me remind me of bored housewives who put a picture in a frame at the house, thought it looked good and got a job at Michael's.
Hey, my wife works at Michaels as a framer. And yes, I still tell her that her job is easy. To be fair, they don't even frame 70% of the stuff they do. Most of their frames are ordered from a company and then when it arrives at the store they assemble it. Nothing hard really.

However, I believe that you can order the UV protection glass if you are willing to pay for it. She's done orders at the local Michaels that cost over $1000 just because of the size and materials. If you want quality, you have to pay for it.

The OP seems to want to buy a $50 frame but get the $1500 frame's quality. Go buy that car on the lot for $1250 and let me know if you got the same quality as the one that's $22,500.

In short, you're paying for glass that protects the jersey and auto from fading due to the UV rays from the sun, the wood/metal frame itself which can cost alot if it's got a fancy design or an expensive wood like redwood or pine, and the labor to cut/build it. If you want to save money, go to Home Depot and buy your own wood to build it yourself. Then, find somewhere that specializes in glass to see if you can get the UV protective glass. From there, it's easy.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

The process isnt too difficult. I mean I can do it, but it just doesnt look as good as getting it done professionally.

http://s1236.photobucket.com/dukefan1collection
Jtoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

After the Packers won the Super Bowl, the Michaels by my house framed an unsigned Rodgers jersey and put it on display. It was the first time I saw a framed jersey from Michaels, and it looked like garbage. I get mine at the local sports card and memorabilia shop. I thought the price was reasonable, and it looks great.
jamuser304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamuser304 View Post
After the Packers won the Super Bowl, the Michaels by my house framed an unsigned Rodgers jersey and put it on display. It was the first time I saw a framed jersey from Michaels, and it looked like garbage. I get mine at the local sports card and memorabilia shop. I thought the price was reasonable, and it looks great.
Yep. When I asked about Acid free materials, "Doris" just looked at me like I was from Mars.

No thanks.