Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madbacker View Post
Richard McWilliam changed the BUSINESS of trading cards and he ruined the HOBBY in doing so.

Take a poll on here of people who are 25 years or older and ask:

Would you go back to the 90's format of trading cards? (i.e.)

- 36 pack boxes that never cost more than $75
- Large base sets with great photography
- 1 per pack parallels with a 1 per box parallel
- Affordable inserts that were fun to COLLECT and COMPLETE sets
- Lots of inserts, ranging from 1:3 packs to 1:36 to 1:360 for a little bit of chase.
- OCCASIONAL Autograph or Jersey card, or none at all.

I bet the majority will say they want to go back to sets like 1996 Score where hitting a Dream Team Marino or Elway (1:72) was a "big deal".

What McWilliam did was turn the hobby into a business and the act of opening cards from collecting into gambling. I can't tell you how many times I see a kid drop a week's allowance on 1 pack, get bunk and curse the skies because he "didn't make his money back". On the flip side, same kid hits a monster and the first words are "how much can I get for this?"

McWilliam was only out to make money and that attitude has now been showered upon nearly everyone in this "hobby". Collecting used to be about working with other people to complete sets, make friendships and work together. I never would've met one of my truly best friends if it weren't for cards.

It makes me sad that the hobby has become what it has.
I couldn't have said it any better, my friend.
Current Most Wanted Non 1/1 Cards: 1999 Playoff Contenders SSD Speed Terrence Wilkins Auto, 2003 Leaf Limited Gold Monikers Dallas Clark Auto, 2005 Leaf Certified Materials Mirror Emerald Auto Marlin Jackson
88horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Richard McWilliam changed the BUSINESS of trading cards and he ruined the HOBBY in doing so.

- Lots of inserts, ranging from 1:3 packs to 1:36 to 1:360 for a little bit of chase.

I bet the majority will say they want to go back to sets like 1996 Score where hitting a Dream Team Marino or Elway (1:72) was a "big deal".

What McWilliam did was turn the hobby into a business and the act of opening cards from collecting into gambling. I can't tell you how many times I see a kid drop a week's allowance on 1 pack, get bunk and curse the skies because he "didn't make his money back". On the flip side, same kid hits a monster and the first words are "how much can I get for this?"

McWilliam was only out to make money and that attitude has now been showered upon nearly everyone in this "hobby". Collecting used to be about working with other people to complete sets, make friendships and work together. I never would've met one of my truly best friends if it weren't for cards.

This could perhaps be the best post I have ever read on here. Some of the Greedy Gretchens should sticky this to thier foreheads.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
THIS. First thing that amazed me when I got back into this is how little base cards are worth. I mean you might as well throw them away. I remember growing up in the 90s opening products like Hoops and being happy to get any kind of Jordan, Kemp, or Shaq card. It just sucks that it really has become how much is this worth or how much can I get for this. I don't know who to blame that for, but it's just gotten really tiring to a lot of people it seems.
There's some of us like myself who work at trying to complete base sets. I tend to play a lot of RPG video games and so I fit into the "completionist" category of things. With cards, I want to get 1 of each card for the base and insert sets. As far as autos, relics, etc., I only keep the one's featuring Lions, 49ers, or Boise State players. Everything else is for sale to make more money for buying more boxes/cards. If I make a profit, so be it, but it's not the goal.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #29 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to wheeler281

heard UD in his honor is going to insert Dale Murphy cards into all packs next year
Old 01-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler281 View Post
heard UD in his honor is going to insert Dale Murphy cards into all packs next year
Nice reference--I'd forgotten about that story

Yeah, people who never collected before Upper Deck just can't understand how much they changed the culture of the hobby.

I used to happily open box after box of 1986 Topps because I could get the players I liked to watch. Shocking! I'd actually read the stats and play pocket knife baseball using the cards for the lineups.

In some ways, UD was the answer to the overproduction problem by creating the perception of a premium and limited product. But, like MadBacker said, they turned it into gambling at some point. And make no mistake, that is what card collecting has become for many people today.

No one ever got addicted to 1986 Topps--just sayin'.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:

I never knew AJ Hawk could string sentences together like this.

I agree with everything you said. It's part of what has driven me from collecting. I still pick up stuff that I like, but my wax busting has probably dropped 80-90%. I got tired of crappy breaks and then trying to compete with east coast people who always seemed to get their product 1-2 days before me. The whole eBay selling thing just got tired to me. I still sell a little but since I open so much less wax, I'm just over the whole bust, list, sell, repeat phase.

As for McWilliams, you reap what you sow. From everything I've ever read or seen, the guy was a grade A douche. However, most ultra-successful business people are. Some just have better PR people and some don't get caught doing the illegal things that they all do.

He had some innovative ideas and products but in the end turned out to be nothing but a crook who got greedy.

US Navy - Submarine Service - January 23rd 1985 - January 31st 2009
wcbraun is online now   Reply With Quote