Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Working on a Tom Brady sketch card

Going to color it in black in white for my first attempt. Just figured I'd post and see what everybody thinks

Also selling drawings, send me a pm for any questions
Braveskid1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

His wrist looks small but I bet with the shading it looks better. Looks good to me so far
BroncosFAN#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosFAN#1 View Post
His wrist looks small but I bet with the shading it looks better. Looks good to me so far
Thanks, appreciate the comment. And I was thinking the exact same thing, made it a little bigger to just see

Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

There's a few things I can see that are a little off but overall it looks really good! Especially for your first try, Are you going to use ink? Is that a blank/dummie?

One little tip that will save you some major frustration, do the face first so if you screw it up you haven't wasted time on the rest of it if you decide to toss it and start over.
matt roberson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt roberson View Post
There's a few things I can see that are a little off but overall it looks really good! Especially for your first try, Are you going to use ink? Is that a blank/dummie?

One little tip that will save you some major frustration, do the face first so if you screw it up you haven't wasted time on the rest of it if you decide to toss it and start over.
Ah never thought of doing the face first, will start using that.
I am using those little I believe Bristol cards from michaels/ac. Moore??
And I don't have any markers or anything just colored pencils. Was gonna keep it white an black

Old 01-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveskid1025 View Post
Ah never thought of doing the face first, will start using that.
I am using those little I believe Bristol cards from michaels/ac. Moore??
And I don't have any markers or anything just colored pencils. Was gonna keep it white an black
They have precut cards at micheals? I'll have to look into that, I have been buying the Cason art board and cutting it down on our rusty sheet metal sheer, it's a real pain in the a**.

If you want to chat about this sketch card biz hit me up with a PM. I can save you some headaches you don't see coming, something somebody wouldn't do for me when I started out....coughQwasiancough.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
They have precut cards at micheals? I'll have to look into that, I have been buying the Cason art board and cutting it down on our rusty sheet metal sheer, it's a real pain in the a**.

If you want to chat about this sketch card biz hit me up with a PM. I can save you some headaches you don't see coming, something somebody wouldn't do for me when I started out....coughQwasiancough.
They are card sized just not as thick, I can take a picture for you to see them?and thanks a ton! Appreciate it, he gave me some pointers yeaterday

Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:

I wasn't that good at it when you were starting out, I was just getting back into as well. Im still not at the level I want to be at yet, but Im working on it. you do pencil ones right?
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Qwasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
I wasn't that good at it when you were starting out, I was just getting back into as well. Im still not at the level I want to be at yet, but Im working on it. you do pencil ones right?
Just for the record I wasn't taking a shot at you Q, just stating a fact from my perspective. I just thought you were a deek who was ignoring me because he didn't like competition (I didn't realize there was so much regardless of me). I liked your work and just wanted to chat, I wish you would have PM'd me the above info back then so I knew. Oh well no big deal.

Yeah, I'm with you, I still learn something new every time I do one or try something different. That's why I reached out braveskid, I saw him making some of the mistakes I did early on and thought I could save him some time and trouble. One of my biggest problems is the glare from the pencil photographing terribly, they look so much better in hand, have you had any issues with that?

Yes, I do the pencils ones. (only because it's the only way I can be cost effective for my customers and still end with a high enough quality product that I'm willing to put my name on it). I do all kinds of other art outside of the sportscard world.

Maybe we should start a sketch artist thread where we can post thoughts, ideas, techniques and stuff to avoid? Any thoughts on this guys? .......
I know we aren't the only sketch card guys who have looked at this thread.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

man, i have drawn like this in AGES. gridding stuff out. Have a blast with it OP!

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Just for the record I wasn't taking a shot at you Q, just stating a fact from my perspective. I just thought you were a deek who was ignoring me because he didn't like competition (I didn't realize there was so much regardless of me). I liked your work and just wanted to chat, I wish you would have PM'd me the above info back then so I knew. Oh well no big deal.

Yeah, I'm with you, I still learn something new every time I do one or try something different. That's why I reached out braveskid, I saw him making some of the mistakes I did early on and thought I could save him some time and trouble. One of my biggest problems is the glare from the pencil photographing terribly, they look so much better in hand, have you had any issues with that?

Yes, I do the pencils ones. (only because it's the only way I can be cost effective for my customers and still end with a high enough quality product that I'm willing to put my name on it). I do all kinds of other art outside of the sportscard world.

Maybe we should start a sketch artist thread where we can post thoughts, ideas, techniques and stuff to avoid? Any thoughts on this guys? .......
I know we aren't the only sketch card guys who have looked at this thread.
That would be a huge help to some of us, would be an a amazing thing to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
man, i have drawn like this in AGES. gridding stuff out. Have a blast with it OP!
Haha yeah, thanks!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

@matt, yeah i'm more than willing to chop it up about techniques, supplies, tips etc, I would consider myself still in the very early learning stages of where i'd like to actually be with it, so the learning from others definately helps, I have scanned all my sketches and edited them with photoshop so I haven't experienced the glare from the pic taking with them, I did experience that with regular cards & pics, but I've had pretty good service from my cheap canon scanner I bought. I think my next step is to purchase an airbrush machine and use it to start adding effects on top of the sketches and things like that, still experimenting, have been looking at alot of the other stuff on ebay and trying things with the cross hatching, color blending of the markers etc, which i'm mainly focused on right now.
Collecting Football: GENO SMITH / E.J. MANUEL / Giovani Bernard / Cordarrelle Patterson / Eddie Lacy / Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson Basketball: Michael Carter Williams / Bradley Beal / Blake Griffin / Paul George / Damian Lillard / WNBA: Skylar Diggins
Old 01-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Cool, when I get a chance I will start a thread and PM it to all of the sketch artists I know on the board (with the basic idea and it's intent) and see if we can get something beneficial to all of us going.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Cool, when I get a chance I will start a thread and PM it to all of the sketch artists I know on the board (with the basic idea and it's intent) and see if we can get something beneficial to all of us going.
sounds good, I will definately contribute.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Guys--consider joining the SketchCardFanatics group on Facebook. There's a ton of industry artists on there and I see people exchanging tips and posting work all the time.

I'm on there just to admire the work and get head's up on commissions that are being offered.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SketchCardFanatics/
Old 01-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks for the heads up Monkey, I joined to see what they have to offer. I think most of them are probably into the comic stuff (large market) in which I believe a lot of the techniques are different but who knows.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Didn't even notice the other posts in my subscriptions. I went into the sketch group to see if I can look at pics but they have to add me.