Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
I'll use very small words as to not confuse your pea brain.
I recently sold a $700 on ebay, BIN
My TOTAL Ebay listing and FVF fees were $49 and change.
Paypal fees $21
Shipping was $11
The consignor I suggested would take $35 (5%)

The $525 came from $700 - 25%

Total seller should receive from this is $ $584. Not exactly $600 but "right around" as I stated. Now if you store owners are charged more for Ebay fees then why even have a store?

Have fun Donald Trump Jr.
I'm confused by your numbers...

First on a 700 BIN item your looking at 644.72 roughly after fees. Ebay and Paypal would eat about 66.28 in fees.

What does $11 shipping mean? Who is charging $11 to ship a card? Anyway forget the shipping as I think he's likely keeping the profit for himself there anyway...

The cosigner at 5% from 644.72 would be taking only $32.23 not $35 bucks...where did $35 come from? Oh yea I see it now that cosigner is taking his right off the top and making more money that way as 5% of $700 is $35. If he actually took the fees out then did his cosignment fee he's going to get less. By doing it that way he's making an additional $2.77 and $2.77 is 9% on a $35 deal. Your 5% guy is charging you much more then 5% there

http://s775.beta.photobucket.com/user/alexladue/library/

Damn The Hard Times. Enjoy The Good Times!
addicted36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac7065 View Post
doing the math on every time.. sometimes selling hundreds of items at a time? That has to be tedious no? lol

I find it easier to just say 80/20 on decent medium-high end stuff and 75/25 on smaller items. To each their own though.

btw.. you aren't including your supplies in that shipping cost. 56 cents gets sucked up pretty quick in tape, mailers, ink, labels, etc etc. You might want to crunch the numbers on that. I pay $100 every couple weeks on mailers and labels alone.
Meh that's why I charge commission and as for the time to crunch numbers that's why I use spreadsheets

Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #28 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted36 View Post

First on a 700 BIN item your looking at 644.72 roughly after fees. Ebay and Paypal would eat about 66.28 in fees.

What does $11 shipping mean? Who is charging $11 to ship a card? Anyway forget the shipping as I think he's likely keeping the profit for himself there anyway...

The cosigner at 5% from 644.72 would be taking only $32.23 not $35 bucks...where did $35 come from? Oh yea I see it now that cosigner is taking his right off the top and making more money that way as 5% of $700 is $35. If he actually took the fees out then did his cosignment fee he's going to get less. By doing it that way he's making an additional $2.77 and $2.77 is 9% on a $35 deal. Your 5% guy is charging you much more then 5% there
I'm giving you my actual numbers.
My listing and selling fees came to $49.95
Paypal $20.59
I shipped with with Sig Confirmation and insurance (Had to go to PO for the ins amount) that was $11.00 (This was a Goodwin Civil War Relic. Almost 4X6X1)

His terms are 5% of the gross ($700) + fees.

If you are taking a % of the net you are hurting yourself.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes I can and do quite a bit of time. But you responded to my post when you really didn't need to which makes me thing you like it!
look up.. you weren't here first lil buddy
Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm giving you my actual numbers.
My listing and selling fees came to $49.95
Paypal $20.59
I shipped with with Sig Confirmation and insurance (Had to go to PO for the ins amount) that was $11.00 (This was a Goodwin Civil War Relic. Almost 4X6X1)

His terms are 5% of the gross ($700) + fees.

If you are taking a % of the net you are hurting yourself.
I am providing a service to people and not hurting myself by giving my cosigners a good deal like that. I don't think you can say taking 5% of the net benefits anyone but the guy selling the item for you. It doesn't benefit the seller that's for sure.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #31 (permalink)

Have you considered COMC for selling your collection? Pay no attention to the folks that say that $40+ cards do not move on COMC. If the card has demand and is priced fairly it will sell fast. You can send them the cards by the box and they do all of the work (research, listing, selling, receiving payment, shipping) for only 20%. You will get prices at or above Ebay when selling on COMC. If you have patience you can maximize your revenue to get the best possible price or you can run a blowout sale.

Let me know if I can provide any additional insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdduet View Post
I've decided that I've got to cut down on my sports card collection. My wife is great but I can see that all the space its taking up is frustrating her. The vast majority of my collection is certified autos and refractors--about 35,000 cards. Most cards fall into the $40 to $100 range (of the ones I want move). Needless to say just the money I have in one touch's is high $. About 20% of the cards are graded (BGS and PSA). Additionally I have about 1,000,000 other cards from 1948 to present--some that I haven't searched for decades.

I'm not too interested in selling on Ebay--I've always been just a buyer, mainly because I don't really have the time to treat buyers/customers like they should be treated. I do know however that would likely be the most profitable way for me to move the collection.

Outside of giving tons of cards to kids during holidays and school functions, donating cards for auctions for good causes (it's amazing what a certified Brees auto can get in this venue!), displaying cards at local schools/college libraries, etc. I want to sell a large portion of my collection--mainly with the goal of chasing some higher dollar gems, current and vintage.

What I'm looking for is ideas on how to move the collection in pieces--basically maximize profit and minimize time on my end.

Who are the best and trusted consigners?

How would you start selling?

Any advice and/or opinions are welcomed.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:

I know you posted 1st lovechunk and in your narcisstic, socially disfuctional mind that means something to you.

But I was responding with an opinion of fees and whom I would suggest to OP, not YOU.

YOU decided to quote me and bring your self acclaimed world class buisness acumen into the discussion.

I just responded to you because you really like it deep down inside.

Have a swell day Jeremy from a state south of Georgia!

Old 01-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
I am providing a service to people and not hurting myself by giving my cosigners a good deal like that. I don't think you can say taking 5% of the net benefits anyone but the guy selling the item for you. It doesn't benefit the seller that's for sure.
No arguement at all brother. It that works for you then keep doing it. You should garner more customers by charging lower fees which should result in more money for you.

I don't sell on consignment. I have sold higher end items from friends and family and only charge the fees.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
On the contrary, he's got you beat by about 3 years here.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:

if you think 700 minus 66.28 is 644.72, you can certainly never in a million years sell for me.
mcgahee21nfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
I usually swallow
Jeremy from Florida,

Please don't continue to attack Jon needlessly. You are more than welcome to roast him if you would like in the appropriate thread. Many of us are here for fun and business not childish bickering.

Lovingly Yours,
Jay from Virginia
Old 01-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #37 (permalink)

Check out my Cards (COMC) would be a good start for high volume/little personal time. But I would think you need to sort/inventory those items yourself before shipping. I have never used them but I would think sending them several 5k count monster boxes without going through them would be a bad idea.

You can always have your Card Shop check them out and make an offer as well. Profit may not be maximized that route though.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnarg View Post
On the contrary, he's got you beat by about 3 years here.
this thread is 3 years old? man where was I? lol
Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #39 (permalink)

How does literally every single thread IMAC is in, end up in an argument?
Swingin' for the fences, barbaric Kendrick in idle time
Kendrick Lamar
FreeMan12406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
this thread is 3 years old? man where was I? lol
I was literally looking at your join dates
Old 01-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgahee21nfl View Post
if you think 700 minus 66.28 is 644.72, you can certainly never in a million years sell for me.
Hahaha good one. Funny thing is if I adjusted the numbers 10 bucks it makes my original post that much worse. 5% of 635 is only 31.75 not 35

Old 01-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #42 (permalink)

I have yet to use COMC, but don't they charge you a % if you want the money put into your bank account, rather than to use it on COMC or Blowout.
This would have to be taken into account as well.
ryanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #43 (permalink)

I have sold my collections multiple times and used to do it all myself through Ebay. I switch jobs 2.5 years ago and work 100+ hours a week. So, the last couple of times that i have sold large quantites i used Rick Probstein(probstein123). I haven't ever had problems, he lists everything at auction and usually in about 2 weeks he sends me a check. I've even had him hold the money for me then i will simply pick up the cash at the National. He's great on the lower end cards $10-100 but i have also had him list several higher dollar cards, the most expensive being a $1700 card.
I have never used prewarcardcollector but have heard great things about him selling the higher end cards, I know his auctions appear to get carzy bids. He takes a higher percentage than Probstein, 20% compared to Probstein's 10%, but it may be worth it with the crazy action he garners.
But if you don't have the time to sell them yourself, I highly recommend using Probstein. Easy and pain free, with no worries.
Doublexthebeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #44 (permalink)

Because you are the problem.

Clear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMan12406 View Post
How does literally every single thread IMAC is in, end up in an argument?
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #45 (permalink)

I use Rick Probstein (probstein123) and he always overnights my check to me. Most items are listed the same day they arrive at his office.
csmtampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #46 (permalink)

i sent my 57/58 topps set to probstein for consignment and so far very professional and the 5% fee is very reasonable
howethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote