Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
George19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,755
Default Jerry Jones Stadium, what???? Vegas Style...

So it appears that UNLV will finally be getting a new stadium and it can not be more than appreciated by the staff, students, and faculty! This stadium is gorgeous and I was fortunate enough to see the artist rendering late last week. It will have a 100 yard video screen surpassing the 80 yard one at Cowboys' stadium.

Will Las Vegas play host to the 1st Superbowl outside of a city that has a host team? We were fortunate enough to host an NBA all-star weekend and we have no NBA team; that was a 1st as well.

Bring it on, Vegas!

Vegas doing it big: UNLV?s stadium plans look like ?JerryWorld? in the desert | Dr. Saturday - Yahoo! Sports

G
George19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
scotts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,375
Default

Can you imagine the trouble that certain players would get in the night before the superbowl if it was in las vegas????!!!!
scotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Birdmandig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tampa
Posts: 989
Default

Super Bowl? Vegas? Im There!
Birdmandig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 3,357
Default

That would be a sweet stadium though. Count me in!
theautographkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
jtrinaldi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 912
Default

That will be killer for concerts at UNLV
__________________
Sometimes there are no other words to explain stupidity
jtrinaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
GOWIFB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,954
Default

I would love to see a stadium like that here in Vegas. However, I really cant see it happening unless they draw an NFL team. To invest 800 million in a stadium for a college football team that cannot even sell out their games makes no sense. If this was for like Ohio State or something I could see it, but not for the mighty powerhouse known as UNLV football.
__________________
Collecting 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Patches and anything Wisconsin!

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
friarbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 7,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWIFB View Post
I would love to see a stadium like that here in Vegas. However, I really cant see it happening unless they draw an NFL team. To invest 800 million in a stadium for a college football team that cannot even sell out their games makes no sense. If this was for like Ohio State or something I could see it, but not for the mighty powerhouse known as UNLV football.
Read the article, it's meant for much more than just UNLV football. If they can turn it into a premier sports and entertainment venue (not a stretch considering how close UNLV is to the Vegas strip), it could be worth it. UNLV using it is no more than a side use probably to give it at least one consistent resident.
__________________
Supercollecting Josh Johnson (University of San Diego, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cincinnati Bengals, San Francisco 49ers)
Collecting Chargers
, Padres, Packers, Lakers, University of San Diego alumni
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
The Card Album's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,706
Default

If this stadium is large enough, is it possible we might see an NFL expansion team? A team in Vegas means a team could sprout in Los Angeles, giving an expansion to each Conference.

Many stadiums host both collegiate and pro football, so it's entirely feasible.
__________________
It's All About Collecting The U : 259 different Miami Hurricanes totaling 4,432 cards

Always looking to trade for Canes.
view my cards for trade @ www.TheCardAlbum.com
The Card Album is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
GOWIFB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarbolt View Post
Read the article, it's meant for much more than just UNLV football. If they can turn it into a premier sports and entertainment venue (not a stretch considering how close UNLV is to the Vegas strip), it could be worth it. UNLV using it is no more than a side use probably to give it at least one consistent resident.
It is a given that they can host other things besides UNLV football. Pretty much every new football venue hosts other events besides football. That still does not justify this 800 million dollar stadium. They could build a stadium for half that cost which can still host all the events that they want. There is really only one reason to go this big and that is to try to draw a pro team to the area. Like I said I would love for it to happen but I cant see it. The NFL tries to distance themselves so much from gambling they go to ridiculous lengths. They wouldnt even allow promos for their games to run during commercials for the TV show 'Vegas', nor would they allow an advertisement for Vegas tourism run during the Super Bowl. No way they allow a pro team to come to town unless I take over the league. This stadium is just a waste of money
__________________
Collecting 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Patches and anything Wisconsin!

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Oilngo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 5,984
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Card Album View Post
If this stadium is large enough, is it possible we might see an NFL expansion team? A team in Vegas means a team could sprout in Los Angeles, giving an expansion to each Conference.

Many stadiums host both collegiate and pro football, so it's entirely feasible.
You would be stupid to put a pro team in Vegas. At some point it will happen, but there is a reason there hasnt been one, but this could definitely be that one thing that helps the cause out.
__________________
Utah Jazz,St. Louis RamsCalifornia Angels
IF WE ARE TRADING, YOU'RE SENDING FIRST.
http://s1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/Oilngo/
Oilngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
George19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts View Post
Can you imagine the trouble that certain players would get in the night before the superbowl if it was in las vegas????!!!!
Very true, Scott! It would get crazy just like it did with NBA All-Star weekend. All the residents were getting mad so forth and so on, but oh well. Even an NFL player had some trouble with the law that weekend!

Pacman Jones: Strip Club Ruling Again Proves Corner Can't Escape Legal Issues | Bleacher Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmandig View Post
Super Bowl? Vegas? Im There!
Im sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theautographkid View Post
That would be a sweet stadium though. Count me in!
It is a beautiful looking stadium. The artist rendering was awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
That will be killer for concerts at UNLV
It already has great concerts, but they are mostly done at MGM Grand and Mandalay Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWIFB View Post
I would love to see a stadium like that here in Vegas. However, I really cant see it happening unless they draw an NFL team. To invest 800 million in a stadium for a college football team that cannot even sell out their games makes no sense. If this was for like Ohio State or something I could see it, but not for the mighty powerhouse known as UNLV football.
It will happen. The Board of Regents approved it and are ready to proceed. They need to go through the FAA now since it will be in the flight path of McCarran. UNLV will be asking the local casinos for about 125M to support it. Granted, UNLV football is not stellar in the slightest, but we do host the Maaco bowl which is always a draw, plus we hold the highest grossing rodeo events in the world - NFR and PBR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarbolt View Post
Read the article, it's meant for much more than just UNLV football. If they can turn it into a premier sports and entertainment venue (not a stretch considering how close UNLV is to the Vegas strip), it could be worth it. UNLV using it is no more than a side use probably to give it at least one consistent resident.
Exactly! Good job, friar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Card Album View Post
If this stadium is large enough, is it possible we might see an NFL expansion team? A team in Vegas means a team could sprout in Los Angeles, giving an expansion to each Conference.

Many stadiums host both collegiate and pro football, so it's entirely feasible.
--David Stern doesn't want an NBA team here and Roger Baddell doesn't want an NFL team here either. We are stuck with UNLV football and the best concerts in the world; oh well

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWIFB View Post
It is a given that they can host other things besides UNLV football. Pretty much every new football venue hosts other events besides football. That still does not justify this 800 million dollar stadium. They could build a stadium for half that cost which can still host all the events that they want. There is really only one reason to go this big and that is to try to draw a pro team to the area. Like I said I would love for it to happen but I cant see it. The NFL tries to distance themselves so much from gambling they go to ridiculous lengths. They wouldnt even allow promos for their games to run during commercials for the TV show 'Vegas', nor would they allow an advertisement for Vegas tourism run during the Super Bowl. No way they allow a pro team to come to town unless I take over the league. This stadium is just a waste of money
--How is it a waste of money? Look at statistics for the NFR & NPR. This following statistic is only from the NFR this year: The 10-day event last year drew 175,275 fans to Thomas & Mack Center and "generated a nongaming economic impact of $60.1 million," which was referring to 2011 and 2012 numbers surpassed those numbers, so in 10 days they had that many fans; wow! Just an example of ticket prices to this event, which sells out quickly:
UNLVtickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilngo View Post
You would be stupid to put a pro team in Vegas. At some point it will happen, but there is a reason there hasnt been one, but this could definitely be that one thing that helps the cause out.
Why stupid?

G
George19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.