Blowout Cards Forums
Shop MyLocker.net Today!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Will the real Kyle Orton please stand up?

I usually don't watch a whole lot of NFL games, but I watched the MNF game last night, and I impose the question.....Is this the real Kyle Orton? I mean it wasn't too long ago everyone was laughing at this kid and he was never going to be an NFL starting QB was quoted by many reporters....Where did this kid come from?...Is it any QB can be successful in the Belichek systems?..I'll admit the Orton I saw last night looked good.

I looked on ebay, and he has over 1400 items for sale and some with bids, some might be buying in on this Orton.....
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Maybe he just needed a change of scenery/system/coach or whatever you want to call it to bring out his best. As a Broncos' fan, I hope this is the real Kyle Orton we are watching because I was among the naysayers when they got rid of Cutler and brought him in. I am not asking him to be the next John Elway, but if he can be consistently good and give the team a chance to win, I hope he stays around for a long while. I am also hoping he can help lead the team to at least four more wins so that they will be playoff bound this season!
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

He's a good (not great) QB who hasn't been making hardly any mistakes for the Broncos.

He had a good career at Purdue befor being derailed by injuries in his Senior season.

He doesn't have that rocket arm but he's been able to run the offense near mistake free this year with 9 TD's and only 1 INT and a QB rating of around 100.

He also is 27-12 as a starting QB.

US Navy - Submarine Service - January 23rd 1985 - January 31st 2009
wcbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbraun View Post
He's a good (not great) QB who hasn't been making hardly any mistakes for the Broncos.

He had a good career at Purdue befor being derailed by injuries in his Senior season.

He doesn't have that rocket arm but he's been able to run the offense near mistake free this year with 9 TD's and only 1 INT and a QB rating of around 100.

Funny thing is he pretty much did the same thing for the Bears and he was doing great last year until he hurt his ankle, and was never really the same when he came back. Like I said, for us Bears' fans, I just think having a big name in Cutler, and a guy who has more star power (Which I believe he does) is why we felt he was so much better than Orton...funny thing is, Cutler's two bad games on Monday Night could be the thing holding us back from 5-0. (Before you yell at me, look at the results of the Bears' two losses and tell me they couldn't have won without those mistakes...)
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

2009 Denver Broncos Wide Receivers
#1 - Brandon Marshall
#2 - Eddie Royal
#3 - Brandon Stokley
#4 - Jabar Gaffney
#5 - Brandon Lloyd

2008 Chicago Bears Wide Receivers
#1 - Devin Hester
#2 - Rashied Davis
#3 - Brandon Lloyd
#4 - Marty Booker
#5 - ????

The difference between the two receiving cores is drastic. Brandon Lloyd was arguably the Bears top receiving threat for portions of 2008, and with the Broncos he's merely a name at the bottom of the depth chart.

Kyle Orton may not be a great QB, but he's certainly not a poor one either. He had poor WR's in Chicago, and now he has very good ones in Denver. Its a pretty easy explanation.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to davebo

He throws a tight sprial I will tell you that.
davebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
Funny thing is he pretty much did the same thing for the Bears and he was doing great last year until he hurt his ankle, and was never really the same when he came back. Like I said, for us Bears' fans, I just think having a big name in Cutler, and a guy who has more star power (Which I believe he does) is why we felt he was so much better than Orton...funny thing is, Cutler's two bad games on Monday Night could be the thing holding us back from 5-0. (Before you yell at me, look at the results of the Bears' two losses and tell me they couldn't have won without those mistakes...)
I agree with that. However, there is also a question on how Cutler handle himself when the Prime-Time lights are on. Cutler is like a young Favre. Crazy strong arm but sometimes reckless.

Orton hasn't been reckless and the WR's (and TE) have made some awesome catches so far this year.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
2009 Denver Broncos Wide Receivers
#1 - Brandon Marshall
#2 - Eddie Royal
#3 - Brandon Stokley
#4 - Jabar Gaffney
#5 - Brandon Lloyd

2008 Chicago Bears Wide Receivers
#1 - Devin Hester
#2 - Rashied Davis
#3 - Brandon Lloyd
#4 - Marty Booker
#5 - ????

The difference between the two receiving cores is drastic. Brandon Lloyd was arguably the Bears top receiving threat for portions of 2008, and with the Broncos he's merely a name at the bottom of the depth chart.

Kyle Orton may not be a great QB, but he's certainly not a poor one either. He had poor WR's in Chicago, and now he has very good ones in Denver. Its a pretty easy explanation.
I definitely agree with that. Plus, don't forget about Scheffler.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree with that. However, there is also a question on how Cutler handle himself when the Prime-Time lights are on. Cutler is like a young Favre. Crazy strong arm but sometimes reckless.

Orton hasn't been reckless and the WR's (and TE) have made some awesome catches so far this year.
Well he hasn't done well on national TV yet. In his two Sunday night games he's 0-2 with 6 INT's...outside of that he's 3-0 with 7 TDs and just 1 pick.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
If you take anything from this discussion, this is all you need to know. I don't know how he does it, but that is a great winning percentage. Better than Peyton Manning & Drew Brees career record. I'm not saying he's better than them (I'm not delusional, well maybe a little bit), but he knows how to manage a game, make minimal mistakes and win.

Plus he wears a sweet neck beard.

Check me out on the Bay & COMC for special BO member deals!!!
Great Dealz Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

I like him. Not more than Cutler but I think Denver and McDaniels have a good thing going here.
http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss198/sportster2827/
sportster2827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster2827 View Post
I like him. Not more than Cutler but I think Denver and McDaniels have a good thing going here.
No offense to Orton but, and I hate to say this, but McDaniels does something right with his QB's...Brady, Cassell, now Orton, who went like 9-5 in 2005 despite a QB rating of like 70...I agree I'd still rather have Cutler, but it will be interesting to see Orton keep it up.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

IMO,

Orton > Cutler
Shinypsptitans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinypsptitans View Post
IMO,

Orton > Cutler
I'll say this...I think Orton is a better game-manager, but Cutler has the better arm. That's fair isn't it?
Old 10-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I'll say this...I think Orton is a better game-manager, but Cutler has the better arm. That's fair isn't it?
Cutler is more than just a good arm though. Heck, Derek Anderson has one of the top 5 arms in the game, but he's proven himself to basically be a good backup QB and little else. If deciding purely based on the talent level of the QB with no outside influence from coaches or their weapons, I'd take Cutler hands down every time. You can throw Cutler into a really bad WR situation in Chicago, and he still can put up more than respectable numbers. He can make Earl Bennett, Devin Hester, and Johnny Knox seem like they are anything more than mediocre wide receivers. Orton didn't do that in Chicago. But given the right circumstances, Orton can thrive as we're seeing this year in Denver. There's a reason Trent Dilfer was largely considered a draft bust early in his career but was able to become a super bowl winning QB. You put Kyle Orton in Buffalo, Cleveland, St Louis, or Oakland and he's not going to be putting up the same kind of stats he is this year. Put Cutler in any of those situations, and I'd bet he still has very respectable stats. (Although there are some situations a QB alone can't overcome regardless of his talent level)

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

I can see where you're going there. Like I referenced before, Kyle Orton was 10-5 in 2005, yet his numbers are far from impressive:

51.6% completion percentage, 1,869 passing yards, 9-13 TD-INT ratio (59.7 QB rating).

However, that year he had one of the best defensive units in the game, and a solid running game (1,300+ yards from Thomas Jones), so the team was able to win without Orton having to carry the team on his back.

I am still confident to say I'd rather have Cutler, especially now with our lack of a running game. Cutler may make mistakes, but in a come-from-behind situation, I'll take Cutler's arm with a couple speedy receivers anyday.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

However, Orton last year halfway through the season was easily in the top 10 QBs
Old 10-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinypsptitans View Post
However, Orton last year halfway through the season was easily in the top 10 QBs
He really wasn't the same after that ankle injury, but apparently he healed in the offseason. Amazing how happy we were with him before the injury as opposed to after...
Old 10-21-2009, 11:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

True, I hope he does good, I have some of his best RCs

1/1 Plate AU

SPA GOLD 3 color /#25....

Sick stuff
Old 10-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #20 (permalink)

On a complete sidenote, apparently Kyle Orton played with the Giants at one point...cuz the colors on this SP Authentic jersey don't match at all...the only thing I can think of is it's a Senior Bowl jersey, but that's not what you're supposed to get on SP Authentic RCs...

2005 SP AUTHENTIC KYLE ORTON AUTO JERSEY PATCH RC 2 CLR - eBay (item 270472227130 end time Oct-23-09 20:40:21 PDT)
Old 10-22-2009, 01:23 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Orton was disrespected by Bears management. All the guy did was win. They kept going back to Rex Grossman over and over and over again, Orton went 9-1 and they still went back to Rex Grossman in the playoffs.

Chicago's getting what they deserve now, a prima donna with an attitude problem, and they make it to watch the Broncos go deep into the playoffs because they took the rocket arm rather than the rocket brain.
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:38 AM   #22 (permalink)

It seems for every great throw he makes, Cutler equals that with a key mistake. I think the "Brett Favre Jr." nickname is accurate and inaccurate at the same time. He's not at Favre's level yet. Favre has won games, while Cutler is barely a .500 QB for his career. He needs to be able to take over a team, not just be an All-Star statistically.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:49 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Orton was disrespected by Bears management. All the guy did was win. They kept going back to Rex Grossman over and over and over again, Orton went 9-1 and they still went back to Rex Grossman in the playoffs.

Chicago's getting what they deserve now, a prima donna with an attitude problem, and they make it to watch the Broncos go deep into the playoffs because they took the rocket arm rather than the rocket brain.

It just seemed like Orton didn't make a ton of mistakes. I have no idea if stastics "bear" that out or not (ok, that was terrible), but at that time that was all the Bears needed. I was always surprised people didn't talk more about Grossman's mental make up. He would get so shaken after his mistakes, be it an interception or a fumble that he would literally turn noticeably whiter. Obviously there's only so much you can do to help someone like that but it never really seemed like the Bears addressed it...well, other than simply sticking with him at times they shouldn't have. It was very clear he wasn't going to work it out on his own.

I always thought Cutler was a crybaby. I still do. He just has one of those faces you want to punch...like Danny Ainge. However, the one thing Cutler gives the Bears is the confidence that they can execute a huge drive when they really need one. While Orton can do that now in Denver since he has better players around him, with the Bears, at the time at least (and being started-benched randomly didn't help) he lacked the skill to make players around him better.
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to bmc398

As a Purdue fan, i've followed Kyle since his first pass in 2001 and have always been a huge fan. In my opinion he's always had a more than adequate arm...just never really had the chance to show it off in college (Purdue's spread wasn't really a down field attack) and he was grossly mismanaged in Chicago (there is a reason Ron Turner couldn't hack it at the college level). Kyle is the consummate game manager....except unlike Trent Dilfer has some physical tools as well.

While Kyle's Rookie year was weak stat wise he did fairly well with what he was asked to do, especially with no receiving corp in sight. With adding Olsen and the Development of Clark he always had 2 great TEs to throw to (notice how Scheffler is his favorite target now) but the bears would never invest in a top tier guy on the outside who could actually catch. I mean how many long Orton passes dropped off of the hands of Hester last year???

He really grew into an NFL caliber QB last year and more than a few NFL analyst and insiders hands down thought he was the best player on that offense, especially with what he had to work with. To me, its not your job to make the players around you better in the NFL. Especially not when you're dealing with an O-Line full of cast offs and old/terrible WRs. He really did in my opinion get the most out of them before he hurt his ankle last year. He was pretty incredible in the game vs. Atlanta last year and that was awesome to watch until the bears overrated D screwed it up. Now that he's working with a QB/passing/offensive Guru in McDaniels and has an O-Line that can protect him and WRs he can trust to make a play he's really shining. If he keeps this up there's nothing stopping him from the pro bowl...even over guys like Brady and the guy who will remain nameless in Pittsburgh (can't stand him).

I see the Broncs going at worst 12-4 at this point in the year. If they can stay healthy and get some home field they will be tough to beat in the playoffs. I have actually started to become a Broncos fan more than a Bears fan in all this. i could never really stand Cutler. The gunslinger/crybaby mentality is too much for me to handle. Yeah, he's physically talented but has never been able to stay away from the big mistake. In Chicago, with that offense and a deteriorating D those mistakes will get harder and harder to overcome. I really don't think they will win anymore games this year then they did the last. Compare that to the results in Denver and it looks like McDaniels either knew what he was doing all along or helped develop a guy with potential into a winner. Either way the trade is looking to benefit one team right now a lot more than the other.
bmc398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #25 (permalink)

Default SP card

I dont know if this is the case with this card or not but i have a larry fitzgerald SP Authentic patch auto RC that is purple. Beckett actually wrote an article about it and confirmed it was in fact an event worn jersey by fitzgerald that he had worn a retro carter jersey at some function. This might be the same type of situation with that kyle orton card.
romad97 is offline   Reply With Quote