Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #26 (permalink)

5 cases locked in.
strider_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #27 (permalink)

I want to, but I won't.
bigmikeatl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
i just don't think there's the same market for this in football as there is in basketball. The demand won't be there, and the price point is too high imo.
I wish they would have done Gold Prizms with on card autos. That would be a Chrome Killer right there.. I still think Chrome is better because of the on card autos for this year... Maybe next year..
Old 01-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #29 (permalink)

The sticker autos are the one big drawback for this stuff but it still should be interesting to watch what happens with it on release. Anyone think it will increase in price after release, as opposed to decreasing in price like many Panini products seem to do???
jusdukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #30 (permalink)

3 Cases here.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #31 (permalink)

the cards look great . im in on this .
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madbacker View Post
It could be a good break at $1200/case

2 sets 1-300 x $150 each = $300
24 autos x $25 (avg) each = $600
12 Red Die Cuts x $15 each = $180
36 Prizms x $5 each = $180

Gold /10 - ?
Black 1/1 - ?

$1260 return, about a break even after fees.
Now divide by 3 to get accurate football prices.
Frankp2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauncer View Post
More realistic numbers:

2 sets 1-300 x $75 each = $150
24 autos x $15 (avg) each = $360
12 Red Die Cuts x $10 each = $120
36 Prizms x $4 each = $144

$774 return, less after fees. (and this might still be above average)

Obviously a big auto or Prizm can move this up but this is probably more of whats expected. I mean the football boxes will have an additional Prizm Refractor plus the Red Prizm and 3 ADDITIONAL inserts. I can NOT see how prices will be comparable to basketball. Especially going into the off season.
Still to high, no way that the average sale of a die cut is gonna be $10 and average auto sale is $15...thats laughable! I bet the average return is like $450-$500
scotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #34 (permalink)

i'm getting 3 boxes, but i hate the fact 1/1s are also available on retail packs. it will be dispersed too widely.

Read panini's blog and go down on the comments, tracy confirms finite prizms and 1/1s available with retail.
jumbogorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #35 (permalink)

Prizm went over really well in basketball because they needed a replacement for Topps Chrome. Basketball didn't have a product that had a refractor type look for parallels. Since Topps is still making Chrome for football, I don't really see the need for Prizm.
jr24ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24ai3 View Post
Prizm went over really well in basketball because they needed a replacement for Topps Chrome. Basketball didn't have a product that had a refractor type look for parallels. Since Topps is still making Chrome for football, I don't really see the need for Prizm.
Panini would be stupid not to compete with Topps though. There's no reason for Panini to just surrender when there's something similar on the market from a competitor. It may bomb, but it doesn't matter to them. They have 18 other products that they're selling throughout the season. If it goes over well, they have a new product that they'll continue to produce.
rmw10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts View Post
No way, not sure where you are getting your numbers but no way you get this much return on prism football. I assume that you are going off what prism basketball has sold for?? Alot more turd autographs in football then there is in basketball
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixstar View Post
When's the last time anyone paid 150.00 for a football set?
With 1 rookie per pack, it could be a $150 set.

Sell 1 Andrew luck for $150 and you can sell 5 order autos for $1 each and still maintain the average.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madbacker View Post
With 1 rookie per pack, it could be a $150 set.

Sell 1 Andrew luck for $150 and you can sell 5 order autos for $1 each and still maintain the average.
Topps Chrome is 1 rookie per pack and a total of 110 rookies and those sets are like $35 a piece. I hear you about the Andrew Luck auto, but do we really think there is gonna be a Luck, RG3 or Russell Wilson auto in every case? There will be some cases that people make money or break even, but i bet 75% will make back half or less. Thats just how it goes with this hobby
Old 01-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw10 View Post
Panini would be stupid not to compete with Topps though. There's no reason for Panini to just surrender when there's something similar on the market from a competitor. It may bomb, but it doesn't matter to them. They have 18 other products that they're selling throughout the season. If it goes over well, they have a new product that they'll continue to produce.
I wasn't trying to say it wouldn't be a decent product. I just don't see it being as hot as basketball was. There was a giant hole in the basketball products that needed a chrome product. There is already a chrome spot filled in football, so adding a 2nd won't create the same buzz as it would in basketball.

What works in 1 sport doesn't always work in another sport. An example would be fleer retro basketball vs football. The demand for high end 90s inserts in basketball is much higher than the demand in football. So I'd expect retro football to sell nowhere close to what basketball sold for.
jr24ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Topps Chrome is 1 rookie per pack and a total of 110 rookies and those sets are like $35 a piece. I hear you about the Andrew Luck auto, but do we really think there is gonna be a Luck, RG3 or Russell Wilson auto in every case? There will be some cases that people make money or break even, but i bet 75% will make back half or less. Thats just how it goes with this hobby
Will there be at least one Luck, RGIII or Wilson per case? More than likely. Thats been pretty prevalent in all of Panini's stuff this year.
Andrew Luck RIP Oscar Taveras
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24ai3 View Post
I wasn't trying to say it wouldn't be a decent product. I just don't see it being as hot as basketball was. There was a giant hole in the basketball products that needed a chrome product. There is already a chrome spot filled in football, so adding a 2nd won't create the same buzz as it would in basketball.

What works in 1 sport doesn't always work in another sport. An example would be fleer retro basketball vs football. The demand for high end 90s inserts in basketball is much higher than the demand in football. So I'd expect retro football to sell nowhere close to what basketball sold for.
Oh yeah absolutely. Basketball is more individualized and has a much larger market.

However, I do think Prizm will do pretty well in football. It's a similar product to Chrome but with game photos and vet autos. On the other side of things, there is less color and sticker autos. It has all the possibility for success, as long as they can take the issues they'll have with this release and correct them next year. I think the pre-sales alone make this an almost certain return as a 2013 product.
rmw10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
No way, not sure where you are getting your numbers but no way you get this much return on prism football. I assume that you are going off what prism basketball has sold for?? Alot more turd autographs in football then there is in basketball
That's virtually impossible. Basketball has 3 huge autos (Kobe, Irving, and Davis) and maybe half a dozen decent autos. So out of 100 autos in the set, around 90% are pretty bad. I don't see any way a FB set will have more than 90% junk autos because just the top couple tiers of rookies alone will account for more than that (Luck, RGIII, Richardson, Weeden, Tannehill, R. Wilson, Morris, Blackmon, Foles, Osweiler, etc.). Then you have whatever vets/retired players Panini might throw in there.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismiller81 View Post
I wish they would have done Gold Prizms with on card autos. That would be a Chrome Killer right there.. I still think Chrome is better because of the on card autos for this year... Maybe next year..
A lot of chrome this year was stickers, and I think the prizims look better then chrome...... and I don't think I'm alone.
matt roberson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
That's virtually impossible. Basketball has 3 huge autos (Kobe, Irving, and Davis) and maybe half a dozen decent autos. So out of 100 autos in the set, around 90% are pretty bad. I don't see any way a FB set will have more than 90% junk autos because just the top couple tiers of rookies alone will account for more than that (Luck, RGIII, Richardson, Weeden, Tannehill, R. Wilson, Morris, Blackmon, Foles, Osweiler, etc.). Then you have whatever vets/retired players Panini might throw in there.
Ok...80% turds. I hope i am wrong for those case breakers out there.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #45 (permalink)
Banned

Basketball is incredibly weak. Once you get past the #1 pick and the few rookies who have broken out, you have 2 rounds of bums.
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #46 (permalink)

Isn't the b-ball really being pushed by the golds and retail greens? I still think bball collectors pay wayyy more for cards than football.
trixstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #47 (permalink)

The vet auto selection in football looks to be solid.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnft17 View Post
The vet auto selection in football looks to be solid.
I do like they are putting vet autos in the product, kinda rare that you see that with a midrange product. Vet autos are usually reserved for the National Treasures of the world. I wonder if they will include like Kickers or Long Snappers in their autos!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #49 (permalink)

Ill be getting a few retail packs
ToppsCollector1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #50 (permalink)

if they stick to the 499 RC auto, 149 vet auto serial-numbering listed on the sell sheet it will definitely NOT be overproduced and should do very well, staying pretty close to MAPP on the retail end. i can't speak for hobby, but i know retail sold out very quickly to distributors, and like prizm NBA is definitely not being massed produced

the 1/1 blacks will create crazy hype for it even if they are stupidly tough to pull.
phil is offline   Reply With Quote