Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Under new head coach Chip Kelly, the Eagles will go...
0-16 to 2-14 11 8.27%
3-15 to 5-11 27 20.30%
6-10 to 8-8 61 45.86%
9-7 to 11-5 28 21.05%
12-4 to 14-2 1 0.75%
15-1 to 16-0 5 3.76%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #26 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by henacypimo View Post
Recent successful college coaches in the NFL haven't been the best. Everyone forgets colleges players play the game to heart and a lot of NFL players play for the money. With Eagles having so many selfish players that want the ball, Kelly will not be able to break that mentality. Even Andy Reid, which is a great head coach couldn't even get his players to understand the "team" concept. Kelly will be back as a head coach in 2-3 years like Sporier (SP?) & Saban. College ball vs. NFL is a completely a different animal.
Harbaugh seems to be holding his own, Pete Carroll, too.

And I don't think it's about heart vs. money. If money was a carrot, college players are trying to catch it while the NFL-ers have eaten quite a few.
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #27 (permalink)

Talking

I don't watch the Eagles okay Question do you think Eagles should pick up Vick's salary of 15.5 million next year?
Phillyeric21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyeric21 View Post
I don't watch the Eagles okay Question do you think Eagles should pick up Vick's salary of 15.5 million next year?
Money isn't the issue...thats from the words of Chip Kelly too.

Whomever wins games gets the role. Foles didn't win games for the Eagles. Vick did. Vick also fits in much better with Chip's offense.

If you save a couple million, all that means is that you have more money to spend. Doesn't mean that you will all of a sudden win games.
lagalaxyfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagalaxyfan23 View Post
Money isn't the issue...thats from the words of Chip Kelly too.

Whomever wins games gets the role. Foles didn't win games for the Eagles. Vick did. Vick also fits in much better with Chip's offense.

If you save a couple million, all that means is that you have more money to spend. Doesn't mean that you will all of a sudden win games.

Yeah but the thing about Chip Kelly's offense is you need to be able to read defenses and make quick decisions Vick has proven he can do neither. Chip Kelly also said he doesn't need a mobile QB to run his offense Brady runs a version of his offense in New England. Also they hired Pat Shurmur who has a good rep working with young Qbs.
Phillyeric21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyeric21 View Post
Yeah but the thing about Chip Kelly's offense is you need to be able to read defenses and make quick decisions Vick has proven he can do neither. Chip Kelly also said he doesn't need a mobile QB to run his offense Brady runs a version of his offense in New England. Also they hired Pat Shurmur who has a good rep working with young Qbs.
So Foles is Brady? Not even remotely close.

If Vick can't read defenses (can be worked on), then why is it that both Foles and Vick have the same TD:INT ratio? Looks like neither can read defenses then!

In my opinion, the two are relatively similar statwise and skillwise. However, Vick gets the edge since he can make plays with his feet.

If its 3rd and 10 with no open wide receivers, Vick can book it for 15 yards. Foles can't.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
So Foles is Brady? Not even remotely close.

If Vick can't read defenses (can be worked on), then why is it that both Foles and Vick have the same TD:INT ratio? Looks like neither can read defenses then!

In my opinion, the two are relatively similar statwise and skillwise. However, Vick gets the edge since he can make plays with his feet.

If its 3rd and 10 with no open wide receivers, Vick can book it for 15 yards. Foles can't.
I still can't see how you call them even when Vick is 10+ years in and Foles was a rookie. If you want your vet QB playing like a rookie, that's fine, but he's not gonna be doing it for $15M a season as a starter
Devi8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi8or View Post
I still can't see how you call them even when Vick is 10+ years in and Foles was a rookie. If you want your vet QB playing like a rookie, that's fine, but he's not gonna be doing it for $15M a season as a starter
Totally understand that. However, Vick won the job in training camp. That means he is a better player to the team.

Their records tell the whole story. This entire season was difficult for me to watch, but I can certainly tell you that I saw more great plays and exciting plays with Vick in.

With Foles, there was hardly any explosiveness.

Foles was not drafted to start.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Totally understand that. However, Vick won the job in training camp. That means he is a better player to the team.

Their records tell the whole story. This entire season was difficult for me to watch, but I can certainly tell you that I saw more great plays and exciting plays with Vick in.

With Foles, there was hardly any explosiveness.

Foles was not drafted to start.
Vick didn't win anything in Training Camp. It was his job to lose coming into this season. If they based the starting job off of training camp and preseason, Foles would have won it easy. Andy Reid is not the type of guy who throws a rookie QB out there at the very start of the season. McNabb didn't even start until almost halfway through the season.

I just can't fathom how you thought Vick was any good at all. Foles aside, Vick was horrible. He's never been able to think fast, pass accurately or read a blitz. His mobility is close to gone, he was getting chased down by 300lb lineman this year.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Vick didn't win anything in Training Camp. It was his job to lose coming into this season. If they based the starting job off of training camp and preseason, Foles would have won it easy. Andy Reid is not the type of guy who throws a rookie QB out there at the very start of the season. McNabb didn't even start until almost halfway through the season.

I just can't fathom how you thought Vick was any good at all. Foles aside, Vick was horrible. He's never been able to think fast, pass accurately or read a blitz. His mobility is close to gone, he was getting chased down by 300lb lineman this year.
I don't think Vick is good, but he is certainly a better option than Foles at this point in time. With Kelly's scheme and a healthy team back, Foles can be a talented 2nd stringer for this upcoming year.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't think Vick is good, but he is certainly a better option than Foles at this point in time. With Kelly's scheme and a healthy team back, Foles can be a talented 2nd stringer for this upcoming year.
A better option for what? You're speaking as if they are on the cusp of the Superbowl. This team is 2-3 years away from being competitive, so why would you waste time with Vick in the when you know he has no future with the team?

Think of it this way, if the 2 QBs are putting up similar stats, you go with the younger guy who has more potential. It makes zero sense to sit Foles and make him hold a clipboard. IMO it's either Foles as the starter, or Kelly needs to bring his own guy in
Old 01-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
A better option for what? You're speaking as if they are on the cusp of the Superbowl. This team is 2-3 years away from being competitive, so why would you waste time with Vick in the when you know he has no future with the team?

Think of it this way, if the 2 QBs are putting up similar stats, you go with the younger guy who has more potential. It makes zero sense to sit Foles and make him hold a clipboard. IMO it's either Foles as the starter, or Kelly needs to bring his own guy in
Bringing a guy in is actually my first choice. Don't watch much college football, but it appears that Geno Smith might be viable option.

However, if Vick were to get cut, the probability of Kelly bringing in another guy (e.g. Alex Smith, Flynn, Henne) is high...one of whom might taking the starting role regardless.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Bringing a guy in is actually my first choice. Don't watch much college football, but it appears that Geno Smith might be viable option.

However, if Vick were to get cut, the probability of Kelly bringing in another guy (e.g. Alex Smith, Flynn, Henne) is high...one of whom might taking the starting role regardless.
I honestly don't know what they're planning. If they get a QB in the draft, I don't think it's gonna be Geno Smith. He's gonna go before they get a chance to draft him. Besides, Geno isn't really a running Qb that people make him out to be...look at his rushing stats lol. I think there are way too many holes on the defense to even entertain taking him in the first round. I think if anything they could take a later round QB

I have this feeling that we're gonna be defense heavy in this years draft since we already have plenty of talent on the offense.

I guess we won't know more until they decide on a DC. I know for sure we need at least 2 safeties, whether via FA or draft and possibly 1-2 CBs depending on what they do with Nnamdi and DRC.

If the new DC goes 3-4 defense then we'll probably be in the market for a playmaking LB too
Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
I honestly don't know what they're planning. If they get a QB in the draft, I don't think it's gonna be Geno Smith. He's gonna go before they get a chance to draft him. Besides, Geno isn't really a running Qb that people make him out to be...look at his rushing stats lol. I think there are way too many holes on the defense to even entertain taking him in the first round. I think if anything they could take a later round QB

I have this feeling that we're gonna be defense heavy in this years draft since we already have plenty of talent on the offense.

I guess we won't know more until they decide on a DC. I know for sure we need at least 2 safeties, whether via FA or draft and possibly 1-2 CBs depending on what they do with Nnamdi and DRC.

If the new DC goes 3-4 defense then we'll probably be in the market for a playmaking LB too
For sure. The Eagles draft will be interesting this year.

Well, I'm biased and love Nnamdi. I still think he has some of that Oakland juice left in him. He certainly made improvements toward the second half of the season

DRC is decent. However, the Eagles need to learn how to TACKLE first. Then we're talking business.

DeMeco had a solid year, but you're right about us potentially needing another LB.

In my opinion, the Eagles' biggest need is at the safety position. However, I don't think they need two. Colt Anderson stepped in for Kurt Coleman/Nate Allen toward the last couple games and looked GREAT. Only physical guy out there and made lots of plays. I think he should get the start for this year.

Between Nate Allen and Kurt Coleman, I think Nate Allen is just trash. Both of them however are horrible, but I'd like to see the Eagles draft a safety in the second round or so (Matt Elam?). Someone who can make tackles and force turnovers.

Their run D was fair this year, so I'm not very concerned about that. Although Trent Cole and the DT's were quiet, Brandon Graham looked very impressive with Jason Babin's absence. DARN I can't wait until next year!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
For sure. The Eagles draft will be interesting this year.

Well, I'm biased and love Nnamdi. I still think he has some of that Oakland juice left in him. He certainly made improvements toward the second half of the season

DRC is decent. However, the Eagles need to learn how to TACKLE first. Then we're talking business.

DeMeco had a solid year, but you're right about us potentially needing another LB.

In my opinion, the Eagles' biggest need is at the safety position. However, I don't think they need two. Colt Anderson stepped in for Kurt Coleman/Nate Allen toward the last couple games and looked GREAT. Only physical guy out there and made lots of plays. I think he should get the start for this year.

Between Nate Allen and Kurt Coleman, I think Nate Allen is just trash. Both of them however are horrible, but I'd like to see the Eagles draft a safety in the second round or so (Matt Elam?). Someone who can make tackles and force turnovers.

Their run D was fair this year, so I'm not very concerned about that. Although Trent Cole and the DT's were quiet, Brandon Graham looked very impressive with Jason Babin's absence. DARN I can't wait until next year!
Yeah up front I like where we are. I'm not completely sold on Colt yet. He stepped in and played decent, but I still think he's a backup at best. Nate Allen was complete trash as was Coleman. I love Coleman's heart for the game, but there is only so many times you can bite on a play action pass lol.

You know, I like Nnamdi and was stoked when we signed him, but man his ball skills and confidence looked gone. DRC had his moments early on but tailed off. I know a lot has to do with subpar safety help but those guys looked real bad. I could see them coming back, but there needs to be a backup plan if they just don't have it.

I was impressed with DeMeco, saw early potential with Kendricks, loved what I saw from Cox, and felt encouraged by Vinny Curry and Graham. If they go 3-4 I heard Curry may move to LB. it'll be interesting to see what happens with personnel here soon
Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #40 (permalink)

That's for sure. But yes I wouldn't be surprised if both CB's stay in Philly. Nnamdi has already said he'd be open to a pay cut, and DRC is looking to come back.

Personally, I'll take Colt over Nate Allen ANY day LOL.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #41 (permalink)

I think the eagles will be 7-9. Foles will be the starter with danard robinson as a change of pace. Lesead mccoy will have about 1100 yards
heinzward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #42 (permalink)

Bold prediction:

LeSean McCoy will have 1,400+ rushing yards next year, and the Eagles D will develop into the Top 10 category by next year.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #43 (permalink)

I would be the happiest person on earth if Chip n Foles put a Superbowl run together

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/detox1515/
detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by detox View Post
I would be the happiest person on earth if Chip, Vick, and McCoy put a Superbowl run together
Fixed that for you

But hey...I'll take it any way it comes
Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Fixed that for you

But hey...I'll take it any way it comes
Thank you for jinxing Vick.

Speaking of..... I need my bif to buy a Vick contenders stat. Best jinx in the biz!

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/detox1515/
detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #46 (permalink)

Can't wait to see what Chip does, hope your making a list of all the Chip haters.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincesanity View Post
Can't wait to see what Chip does, hope your making a list of all the Chip haters.
Trust me I am

I can't wait until next season! Why does it have to be so far away?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #48 (permalink)

Heck this is my favorite time of year, National Signing Day, Senior Bowl, Combine, Draft, Free Agency, prepping for fantasy football....Chip needs time to mold the team, it'll be here soon enough.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincesanity View Post
Heck this is my favorite time of year, National Signing Day, Senior Bowl, Combine, Draft, Free Agency, prepping for fantasy football....Chip needs time to mold the team, it'll be here soon enough.
For sure. Are you an Eagles fan? I honestly think 9-7 is certainly an achievable goal for them.