FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Should the Cowboys draft a QB in 2013
Yes, start the grooming process 51 41.46%
No, bet on Romo 21 17.07%
No, only get a new guy if Romo leaves 16 13.01%
I hate the Cowboys 35 28.46%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfr52 View Post
In the 3rd round or later but the Cowboys have greater needs right now.
Indeed, a 3rd or 4th rounder could be a stater or quality rotation player his first year. Not likely they'll take a QB that high unless he's an obscene steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinypsptitans View Post
Orton Orton Orton!
Orton has little to no mobility, I don't want him to die behind that O-line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_1985_2004 View Post
The Cowboys need O-line, D-line, and a safety or two, then they should get a QB and set him on the bench like Mallett has done is NE. Romo is one of the top 10 QB's in the NFL right now (love him or hate him admit it) and they will extend his contract. Need to shore up the line in front of him first.
The O-Line would need to addressed regardless of Romo being in Dallas or not. The interior of the line is just bad and one tackle spot (Free) is iffy at best. Tyron is still very young, he struggled at times, but he did improve as the season wore on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp98 View Post
I think Zac Dysert, Landry Jones, or Mike Scott would be good 3rd-4th round choices for them.
Of those three, I'd take Jones. He's at least played at a higher level of competition and under a pretty good coach in Stoops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
If they can get some Olinemen who can manage to get him a freaking pocket to stand in for more than 2 seconds, he tears defenses apart. It's the fact that he's scrambling almost immediately in what seems like 90% of their passing plays. It's sad when putting him in the shotgun doesn't even help. They tend to let the blitzing linebacker have a nice 8 foot wide gap to rush right at him.
Thank You! When he can actually set his feet and survey the field, Romo is pretty deadly accurate, that hardly happened this year at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbinge View Post
who? Who is out there this year in the draft that could be a long term QB for Dallas?
I thank you for this as well, just because QB is a need doesn't mean that the Cowboys should shoehorn a 2nd year guy that was a late round pick as a starter.
Andrew Luck
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #27 (permalink)

I like Landry Jones and even EJ Manuel if he can be tutored a little bit.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_1985_2004 View Post
I like Landry Jones and even EJ Manuel if he can be tutored a little bit.
Indeed, both have pretty good size and arm strength.
Andrew Luck
Old 01-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan1121 View Post
please elaborate
Statistically in any category he has better stats then aikman or staubach with the exception of rings.
JonMead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMead View Post
Statistically in any category he has better stats then aikman or staubach with the exception of rings.
Honestly STATS mean nothing when comparing today's QB's! The only reason Romo and these other QB's these days have high number passing yards is because every time a flag is thrown for pass interference the QB gets those yards added to his STATS ... Now you go and subtract all those pass interference yards off Romo's STATS and see who has more Passing Yards and get back to me! Aikman didn't need any free yards added to his Greatness!

PC: Jason Witten,Nolan Ryan,Johnny Bench,Dallas Cowboys,Texas Rangers,HOF'ers
TX_OutLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_OutLaw View Post
Honestly STATS mean nothing when comparing today's QB's! The only reason Romo and these other QB's these days have high number passing yards is because every time a flag is thrown for pass interference the QB gets those yards added to his STATS ... Now you go and subtract all those pass interference yards off Romo's STATS and see who has more Passing Yards and get back to me! Aikman didn't need any free yards added to his Greatness!
What are you talking about?
Andrew Luck
Old 01-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
being that dallas is the most pentalized team and NEVER get a pass interference call there way subtract 150 yards call it and he still is the cowboys best qb by stats. with that logic every qb who has thrown for 5000 only threw for 4999 or less
Old 01-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
I'll tell you right now, in the type of offense the NFL runs today vs. the type that Staubach ran back in the day...Staubach would eat Romo alive in stats in the same system. Staubach is one of the greatest QB's of all time...not just the best from Dallas. A true leader and a winner...the guy would do whatever he had to do to win a game, and would get it done...if that meant he had to run for a 1st down and take a hit he did it...before the modern days of "protecting the QB" some of those old guys were tough as nails and took a huge beating...Staubach was one of those guys and when it was on the line in the big game, he got it done. Romo is a flea in comparison to Staubach.

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com
mindbinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Lol...What?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
being that dallas is the most pentalized team and NEVER get a pass interference call there way subtract 150 yards call it and he still is the cowboys best qb by stats. with that logic every qb who has thrown for 5000 only threw for 4999 or less
My head just exploded.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbinge View Post
I'll tell you right now, in the type of offense the NFL runs today vs. the type that Staubach ran back in the day...Staubach would eat Romo alive in stats in the same system. Staubach is one of the greatest QB's of all time...not just the best from Dallas. A true leader and a winner...the guy would do whatever he had to do to win a game, and would get it done...if that meant he had to run for a 1st down and take a hit he did it...before the modern days of "protecting the QB" some of those old guys were tough as nails and took a huge beating...Staubach was one of those guys and when it was on the line in the big game, he got it done. Romo is a flea in comparison to Staubach.
There's a reason he's Captain America!
Andrew Luck
Old 01-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #37 (permalink)

Anybody think Jerry would make a run for Johnny Football when he enters the draft?
Swingin' for the fences, barbaric Kendrick in idle time
Kendrick Lamar
FreeMan12406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #38 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

They need to think about it, but I would wait until 2014 unless they get a steal in this draft.
Astronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking118480 View Post
Lol...What?
Do you all not understand? Its quite easy! ..... Say every game they get lucky with at least 1-2 pass interference calls and its usually for the big play of 20 - 30 yrds so thats 40-60yrds every game say they play 16 games so 60 x 16 = 960 yrds ( Free yrds )

Aikman himself said it!

And another STATS mean nothing, because what it all boils down to is the end, has he got it done in the end and the annswer is NO! Romo has failed every time every year and I'm a die hard fan we've made changes all over everywhere he still has not produced a W when needed!

Old 01-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Do you all not understand? Its quite easy! ..... Say every game they get lucky with at least 1-2 pass interference calls and its usually for the big play of 20 - 30 yrds so thats 40-60yrds every game say they play 16 games so 60 x 16 = 960 yrds ( Free yrds )

Aikman himself said it!

And another STATS mean nothing, because what it all boils down to is the end, has he got it done in the end and the annswer is NO! Romo has failed every time every year and I'm a die hard fan we've made changes all over everywhere he still has not produced a W when needed!
Are you blind to the gaping hole we call a o line? If aikman played with are line he would be as good as romo if not worse
Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
If aikman played with are line he would be as good as romo if not worse

I'm not even sure what to think about this statement lol.

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com
mindbinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #42 (permalink)

After thinking about it some more, the only QB in this year's draft that I could see meaning more to Jerry Jones than Romo would be Arkansas' Tyler Wilson. It was ridiculous how Jones praised former Razorback Felix Jones this past season and I can only imagine how he would lose his mind over having Wilson.

I'm going to call it now: If Wilson is there in the second round, the Boys take him - possibly even trading up to get him.
TheFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #43 (permalink)

Is there a way to draft a GM?
FrankieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieP View Post
Is there a way to draft a GM?
^ this guys got the right idea
kdub0982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrenzy View Post
After thinking about it some more, the only QB in this year's draft that I could see meaning more to Jerry Jones than Romo would be Arkansas' Tyler Wilson. It was ridiculous how Jones praised former Razorback Felix Jones this past season and I can only imagine how he would lose his mind over having Wilson.

I'm going to call it now: If Wilson is there in the second round, the Boys take him - possibly even trading up to get him.
Unfortunately I think you may be right. Wilson could be a great (ok, maybe good) QB though with some seasoing on the bench.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Are you blind to the gaping hole we call a o line? If aikman played with are line he would be as good as romo if not worse
So your saying since 2006 ( its now 2013 ) Dallas has had a gaping hole in what we call a o line?? HMMMMmmmm

Old 01-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:

Aikman himself said it!

I don't think you understand, and I'll stop you before this goes too far. Penalties are not added to a player's personal stats. Penalties are not added to a team's offensive stats. They go in the books as penalty yards and not passing or rushing yards. I don't know where you heard anything different, but it certainly wasn't from Aikmen. I think you misunderstood what he was trying to say if you think you heard him say that. A 20 yard pass interference penalty does not add 20 yards to Romo's passing total.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #48 (permalink)

As a non-Cowboy fan - I respect Romo a lot after this season with all the come from behind victories that he managed to lead the Cowboys to. I think there are bigger issues for the Cowboys namely defense and offensive line.
lisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrenzy View Post

Well, I can vouch for Wilson's attitude and toughness. The Arkansas team this year wasn't very good over all and he did his best with the situation.

Quote:
So your saying since 2006 ( its now 2013 ) Dallas has had a gaping hole in what we call a o line?? HMMMMmmmm
The last Pro Bowl lineman for Dallas was Andre Gurode in 2009 (which was entirely based off of reputation, not play). The 2006-2009 group was good but they got old, fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisu View Post
As a non-Cowboy fan - I respect Romo a lot after this season with all the come from behind victories that he managed to lead the Cowboys to. I think there are bigger issues for the Cowboys namely defense and offensive line.
Thank you for being objective and logical, it's quite rare when dealing with any discussion about Romo. I agree with both lines, they're thin at almost every spot.
Andrew Luck
Old 01-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #50 (permalink)

I voted 'no, only a new guy if Tony leaves'. As it has been said before Tony has had his problems in the playoffs and late in the season but he still can be a lethal quarterback. If you bring another QB in chances are they probably wouldn't even be in the playoff hunt with how mediocre the team is
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote