Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   FOOTBALL (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football/)
-   -   Do the Cowboys have to draft a QB this year? (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football/436892-do-cowboys-have-draft-qb-year.html)

TheFrenzy 01-21-2013 05:40 PM

Do the Cowboys have to draft a QB this year?

Obviously I don't mean "have to" as in they are bound by law...

But Romo's contract is up at the end of this next season, they released Carpenter and McGee, and not a lot of quality veteran QB's look as if they'll be available in 2014: Do the 'Boys need to draft a guy this year to start grooming or should they bank on Romo working out/drafting a guy next year and throwing out a rookie?

I personally think a QB in the third or fourth round would be perfect. Drafting a guy in the 1st (as some mocks on Bleacher Report have shown) or 2nd might cause too much trouble when Romo has his inevitable 5 INT game.

lb_sa 01-21-2013 05:44 PM

There aren't any quarterbacks worth drafting this year. It would be a waste of a pick, and Romo is giong to be there anyway.

Cades 01-21-2013 05:44 PM

I still think romo is an above average qb in most aspects, not really going to be able to replace (unless you get lucky) with the third/fourth round pick

kdub0982 01-21-2013 05:48 PM

I think a 2nd or 3rd round QB is warranted IF they don't re-do his deal by then (which I think they will, thus make drafting a QB now pointless). I was/am as big of a romo supporter as you'll find, but that last game of the season has me finally doubting him a bit.

My personal opinion, go get a couple upgrades on the o-line in draft/FA and make this a make or break year. He has the weapons (Witten, Dez, Austin, Murray, hell even Dwayne Harris showed some nice flashes this year), and go out and get him some protection. THEN if he still can't get it done, he has no excuse and it would be time to move on.

HBMC 01-21-2013 05:50 PM

I wouldn't be against drafting a QB this season if he's one who can be a franchise QB, no more Stephen McGee's.

lagalaxyfan23 01-21-2013 05:55 PM

Romo isn't going anywhere. He is just outside the "elite" area based on QB skill. He is and should be their franchise QB.

go_steelers07 01-21-2013 05:57 PM

they need to go after Cousins and groom him for a couple of years.

yankeesfan24 01-21-2013 06:01 PM

Not in the first round, but a 2nd or 3rd round pick would be ideal, especially if it is someone like Glennon, Nassib, or Barkley (odds are none of them fall, but if they are there, have to take them)

mindbinge 01-21-2013 06:04 PM

who would they draft? I dont see anyone I'd bet a 1st round pick on or even worth trading up to get. They need help on the O Line and all over the place on the defense.

HBMC 01-21-2013 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=kdub0982;4079046]I think a 2nd or 3rd round QB is warranted IF they don't re-do his deal by then (which I think they will, thus make drafting a QB now pointless). I was/am as big of a romo supporter as you'll find, but that last game of the season has me finally doubting him a bit.

My personal opinion, go get a couple upgrades on the o-line in draft/FA and make this a make or break year. He has the weapons (Witten, Dez, Austin, Murray, hell even Dwayne Harris showed some nice flashes this year), and go out and get him some protection. THEN if he still can't get it done, he has no excuse and it would be time to move on.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this assessment, Romo is highly effective in the offense when the Cowboys are running the ball effectively. In 2007 and 2009 they ran the ball really well as a team and their record reflected that. Now the running game is almost non-existent and he's struggling. Obviously if he regresses to the point of Matt Cassell territory, it's time to move on. I just cannot cast aside a QB who puts up nearly 5,000 yards on a grossly unbalanced team that had little depth (the injuries really exposed that this season).

Btw, nice card in your avatar, I have one just like it. I am hoping to track down the Chick Howley & Bob Lilly dual to match mine.

yankeesfan24 01-21-2013 06:21 PM

[QUOTE=HBMC;4079228]I agree with this assessment, Romo is highly effective in the offense when the Cowboys are running the ball effectively. In 2007 and 2009 they ran the ball really well as a team and their record reflected that. Now the running game is almost non-existent and he's struggling. Obviously if he regresses to the point of Matt Cassell territory, it's time to move on. I just cannot cast aside a QB who puts up nearly 5,000 yards on a grossly unbalanced team that had little depth (the injuries really exposed that this season).

Btw, nice card in your avatar, I have one just like it. I am hoping to track down the Chick Howley & Bob Lilly dual to match mine.[/QUOTE]

I have that one

[IMG]http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/yankeesfan24/Dallas%20Cowboys%20PC%20-%20NFT/Autographs/Retired%20and%20Legends/DallasCowboysPC242.jpg[/IMG]

patchgenie 01-21-2013 06:25 PM

yes they do. romo always loses the key game at end of the season year after year and jerry jones keeps him. i think ryan nassib would be a good fit in the indoor stadium.

JonMead 01-21-2013 06:46 PM

Romo is statistically the best QB Dallas has ever had. He will retire a cowboy

kdub0982 01-21-2013 07:34 PM

[QUOTE=HBMC;4079228]I agree with this assessment, Romo is highly effective in the offense when the Cowboys are running the ball effectively. In 2007 and 2009 they ran the ball really well as a team and their record reflected that. Now the running game is almost non-existent and he's struggling. Obviously if he regresses to the point of Matt Cassell territory, it's time to move on. I just cannot cast aside a QB who puts up nearly 5,000 yards on a grossly unbalanced team that had little depth (the injuries really exposed that this season).

Btw, nice card in your avatar, I have one just like it. I am hoping to track down the Chick Howley & Bob Lilly dual to match mine.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, def one of my favorite cards. I agree though, Romo can really produce in this offense. He's just not in that upper echelon of QB's that can carry his team week in and week out. He's good, just not THAT good. A stable running game turns Romo into a totally different QB.

It all starts up front at the lines and I'm hoping Jerry and co recognize and address that problem this offseason. Then again, that would probably make way too much sense for him to actually do so :)!

dfr52 01-21-2013 07:36 PM

In the 3rd round or later but the Cowboys have greater needs right now.

SyddWasHere 01-21-2013 08:05 PM

Someone write this down and get back to me in two years. Barring unforeseen circumstances, the next for the back of the Dallas Cowboys is going to be Johnny Football.

Shinypsptitans 01-21-2013 08:09 PM

Orton Orton Orton!

jt_1985_2004 01-21-2013 08:19 PM

The Cowboys need O-line, D-line, and a safety or two, then they should get a QB and set him on the bench like Mallett has done is NE. Romo is one of the top 10 QB's in the NFL right now (love him or hate him admit it) and they will extend his contract. Need to shore up the line in front of him first.

jp98 01-21-2013 08:28 PM

I think Zac Dysert, Landry Jones, or Mike Scott would be good 3rd-4th round choices for them.

nabzy28 01-21-2013 08:36 PM

If they can get some Olinemen who can manage to get him a freaking pocket to stand in for more than 2 seconds, he tears defenses apart. It's the fact that he's scrambling almost immediately in what seems like 90% of their passing plays. It's sad when putting him in the shotgun doesn't even help. They tend to let the blitzing linebacker have a nice 8 foot wide gap to rush right at him.

pfb11 01-21-2013 08:44 PM

I hate the Cowboys, but they should absolutely use a 3rd or 4th round pick on a QB.

JonMead 01-21-2013 08:47 PM

Im uncertain a draft pick is the way to go. I mean romo himself was undrafted

mindbinge 01-21-2013 10:03 PM

[QUOTE=pfb11;4080661]I hate the Cowboys, but they should absolutely use a 3rd or 4th round pick on a QB.[/QUOTE]

who? Who is out there this year in the draft that could be a long term QB for Dallas?

Metsfan1121 01-21-2013 10:08 PM

[QUOTE=JonMead;4079528][B]Romo is statistically the best QB Dallas has ever had.[/B] He will retire a cowboy[/QUOTE]

please elaborate

rangerfan19 01-21-2013 10:30 PM

[QUOTE=Metsfan1121;4081438]please elaborate[/QUOTE]

I can help out here.

Romo has thrown more TD passes than any Cowboy in history, and it took him roughly half the games it did Aikman to reach 165+. He also has more 300 yard passing games than any other Cowboy Qb and will eventually have more yardage as well. He also holds the Cowboys single season records for TD passes, passing yards, Completions, and games over 300 yards passing.

STATISTICALLY he is the best Cowboys QB ever, but still has work to do to become known as the legitimate best Cowboys signal caller (i.e. Win a Super Bowl or two).

As for the poll, I would be cool drafting someone late, but I think the Cowboys have a much better chance at winning with Romo in the near future than starting all over with a new QB. He and Dez should only get better together and like someone mentioned, with an improved running game and offensive line, they could be legit contenders. They need to find a new offensive play caller before they find a new QB!