Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shipping Help!

I've been doing way more trades/buys/sells than I expected and postage is fairly expensive per deal. I mail everything in a bubble mailer, sent 1st class with delivery confirmation. This costs $2.80 at the post office.

I've noticed several people who send to me being charged $1.61 for the same service. My question is what online service are they using to do this?

I signed up at usps.com and upon selecting First-class Large envelope and D/C it is actually MORE online than going to the local Post office. Under online price is says Not available.

I also looked into stamps.com That website is $15.99 a month but I have no idea the cost per package because you have to insert credit card info just to sign up (which I have obviously but I'm not signing up without being able to see actual shipping costs). If this is the website people are using I'd still have to do 15 mails a month just to break even.

I also looked into the ebay/paypal shipping. That would only work for an ebay or paypal transaction. What about a simple trade?

Am I doing something wrong? What are people using to save on shipping? Any help is appreciated. Thank You.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiisean View Post
I've been doing way more trades/buys/sells than I expected and postage is fairly expensive per deal. I mail everything in a bubble mailer, sent 1st class with delivery confirmation. This costs $2.80 at the post office.

I've noticed several people who send to me being charged $1.61 for the same service. My question is what online service are they using to do this?

I signed up at usps.com and upon selecting First-class Large envelope and D/C it is actually MORE online than going to the local Post office. Under online price is says Not available.

I also looked into stamps.com That website is $15.99 a month but I have no idea the cost per package because you have to insert credit card info just to sign up (which I have obviously but I'm not signing up without being able to see actual shipping costs). If this is the website people are using I'd still have to do 15 mails a month just to break even.

I also looked into the ebay/paypal shipping. That would only work for an ebay or paypal transaction. What about a simple trade?

Am I doing something wrong? What are people using to save on shipping? Any help is appreciated. Thank You.
Use paypal multi-order shipping, you can just send 1 package at a time though its $1.64 for anything under 3oz. and tracking is free plus you can just put it in your mailbox no more standing in lines at the post office. Hope that helps you out.
808buynsell808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

If someone buys something from you, you can print out a shipping Label through eBay or PayPal. For trading, and I'm pretty sure that you can create a shipping label through PayPal for the same cost of $1.64
Old 01-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think you have to type in paypal.com/shipnow
Old 01-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

yeah usps.com won't allow first class mailings. I have no idea why. paypal muti-shipping is the way to go.

differences between the 2 as you will use both at some point:

USPS will let you use flat rate padded bubble mailers/paypal multi shipping wont
USPS will let you use Regional Flat Rate Boxes/paypal multi shipping wont

printing through ebay is a whole other story as I believe it will let you print off anything as long as you have it as a choice on listings.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

If someone pays you through Paypal you should be able to print a shipping label from the transaction list. All their shipping info will populate automatically.

If its a trade you can use paypal.com/shipnow and print a label that way. You'll need to manually enter the shipping info.

For both ways choose first class mail parcel for service type and thick envelope for package size, assuming you use a bubble mailer. Its $1.64 for up to 3 oz. package and goes up after that. Delivery confirmation is FREE.

If you need more help feel free to PM me.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the help guys. Based on what I do, which is 95% 1-2 card mailings, paypal is the way to go. Looks like I'll still go to the local PO for larger mailings. Anyone have a website to get a cheap mail scale?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

I use this link saved in my PM's from weightlifter....http://www.paypal.com/shipnow
matt roberson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiisean View Post
Thanks for the help guys. Based on what I do, which is 95% 1-2 card mailings, paypal is the way to go. Looks like I'll still go to the local PO for larger mailings. Anyone have a website to get a cheap mail scale?
I use a good digital kitchen scale I picked up at Target. It measures in tenths of ounces, and was around $25. It paid for itself in less than a month since the tracking is free, as opposed to paying for shipping at the post office.

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

I bought this exact one from walmart, works great for card packages.
DYMO by Pelouze - M3 Digital Postal Scale - 3 Lb.: Office : Walmart.com

For your bigger packages i would still suggest paying online through usps its always cheaper and flat rate shipping boxes are free and can be mailed to your home for free. You can even schedule a pick up so the mail man comes and picks up your package for you guessed it.....FREE!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBLeeDBaTTLeReD View Post

For both ways choose first class mail parcel for service type and thick envelope for package size, assuming you use a bubble mailer. Its $1.64 for up to 3 oz. package and goes up after that. Delivery confirmation is FREE.

If you need more help feel free to PM me.
This info is actually wrong from my experience. You're going to use First Class Mail Package, not Large/Thick Envelope. I've tried that and they told me that if it's more than 3/4" thick and rigid (can't bend easily) it bumps it up to Package. First Class Mail Package is $1.64 for up to 3 ounces, but I think that will be going up this week when the cost of postage goes up.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

Yep, looks like it's going from $1.64 to $1.69.

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

Postage is going up? how much?

Rob Gronkowski RC collection 35/36 Any help is appreciated!
wingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun2049 View Post
This info is actually wrong from my experience. You're going to use First Class Mail Package, not Large/Thick Envelope. I've tried that and they told me that if it's more than 3/4" thick and rigid (can't bend easily) it bumps it up to Package. First Class Mail Package is $1.64 for up to 3 ounces, but I think that will be going up this week when the cost of postage goes up.
Well I can't argue with your experience but I've been doing this for a year now since getting back in the hobby and joining this site and never had an issue.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBLeeDBaTTLeReD View Post
Well I can't argue with your experience but I've been doing this for a year now since getting back in the hobby and joining this site and never had an issue.
On Paypal multi-ship only the package/thick envelope or large package is available. Which is the correct one for an bubble mailer?
bball2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bball2026 View Post
On Paypal multi-ship only the package/thick envelope or large package is available. Which is the correct one for an bubble mailer?
Package/thick envelope
tnarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

The package/thick envelope is the right one. Put 3 oz. You know its right because it'll come to 1.69 (this is what I believe it just went up to). if it isn't that price, you did something wrong.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathgate View Post
Yep, looks like it's going from $1.64 to $1.69.
you will laugh your ass off when you see how ridiculous the increase for first class international is. It use to cost me $2.45 to ship a 2oz card, now its $6.95.
bmuelle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

I have the web address that allows you in the backdoor of paypal to ship regardless if you've received payment.

I won't post it here but if you want it, PM me.
Swingin' for the fences, barbaric Kendrick in idle time
Kendrick Lamar
FreeMan12406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

Paypal.com/shipnow
Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuelle21 View Post
you will laugh your ass off when you see how ridiculous the increase for first class international is. It use to cost me $2.45 to ship a 2oz card, now its $6.95.
so is it just envelopes and the like that are $1.10 for international? I know for us in the USA to ship to Canada in a bubble mailer it is $3 minimum and that changed in 2012 from being less than shipping inside the USA previously.

craziness with these shipping rates.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:57 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspies View Post
so is it just envelopes and the like that are $1.10 for international? I know for us in the USA to ship to Canada in a bubble mailer it is $3 minimum and that changed in 2012 from being less than shipping inside the USA previously.

craziness with these shipping rates.
The bump in First Class International includes bubble mailers to Canada. No more $3.00 to ship a 3oz bubble mailer to Canada. It's the other price quoted, $6.95, to ship a 3oz bubbler to Canada as of now.

Not sure on the envelope price, but I think that went up from the $1.10 price as well. Just not sure what it went to.

A nickel rise in prices isn't too bad an issue. I've been charging $2.00 for shipping and never had an issue. Most eBayers have been charging $3.00 for shipping in the US using First Class Package. I charge $2.00 to include the postage, mailer, and labels. It might come out to a dime in profit off the shipping. Count that towards my time to put everything together.
Shogun2049 is offline   Reply With Quote