Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Zacky1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,571
Default BCS Week Nine...

Iowa is the consensus No. 1 according to the computers, but their poll ranking brings them down to No. 4 in the BCS:

1. Florida .9726
2. Alabama .9450
3. Texas .8927
4. Iowa .8249
5. USC .7944
6. TCU .7890
7. Boise St .7752
8. Cincinnati .7735

TCU Beats Down BYU: Frogs Leap to No. 6 in Week Nine BCS Rankings | Bleacher Report
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
MasterPattie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio (but originally from Michigan)
Posts: 7,069
Default

What is your prediction for the rest of the season? Do you think Iowa is going undefeated? If so, would they play for the National title?
MasterPattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Zacky1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterPattie View Post
What is your prediction for the rest of the season? Do you think Iowa is going undefeated? If so, would they play for the National title?
It's possible with games against Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota and at Ohio State left. Three of four home games definitely shoud help. HOWEVER, unless they start putting some points on the board, or shutting out their opponents, I don't see the human polls helping them enough to make the BCS Championship Game.
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,200
Default

Iowa the consensus #1...are you kidding me??

not knocking the team or anything because they are undefeated and playing good ball...

but a win against an overrated Penn St team, an overrated Michigan team (come hate on me please), and a decent at best Wisconsin?? wow thats terrible
cdub6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
MasterPattie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio (but originally from Michigan)
Posts: 7,069
Default

Well everyone knows that the Big Ten is down this year...
MasterPattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Zacky1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterPattie View Post
Well everyone knows that the Big Ten is down this year...
But it's better than the teams Boise State and TCU are playing...I can assure you the reason Iowa gets no respect is because they don't have a lights out offense or a Heisman Trophy candidate.
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
gman71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vegas
Posts: 6,130
Default

TCU went to Clemson,BYU,and Viriginia and won all 3. Iowa has not played 3 road games as tough as that

If USC can beat Oregon,it won't matter as USC should jump ahead of a weak Iowa team
gman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Zacky1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post
TCU went to Clemson,BYU,and Viriginia and won all 3. Iowa has not played 3 road games as tough as that

If USC can beat Oregon,it won't matter as USC should jump ahead of a weak Iowa team
Penn State's a one-loss team, Michigan State was red-hot coming into last night's game, as was Wisconsin. I'll still be happy with a Rose Bowl bid...
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,905
Default

Iowa should run the table without a problem. They will probably have no problem with osu. I think maybe a lower team might catch them thinking ahead. Otherwise they will more than likely playing in the Championship game this year. for the big ten it will be Iowa, Penn state, Wisconsin-VERY easy schedule left, OSU, Michigan, and Minnesota followed by the rest. I put wisconsin ahead of OSU because I see OSU losing again. Boise state is good though and you will see that with whomever they play in any bowl. I think florida and Iowa will be in the BIG one though. Granted FL has a Great offense, Iowa does have a great D.
__________________
THE MONTEE BALL COLLECTOR. 53 autos and counting!
Incoming montee ball autos: 0
On Wisconsin!
P.47
brett06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
But it's better than the teams Boise State and TCU are playing...I can assure you the reason Iowa gets no respect is because they don't have a lights out offense or a Heisman Trophy candidate.
TCU is probably the best team in College Football this year and the Mountain West has plenty of really good teams. Teams in the bottom of the Mountain would crush teams at the bottom of the Big 11. It won't matter Iowa will lose to OSU.
wolffer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,200
Default

ahh didnt realize OP was from Iowa..

i didnt say i dont respect them..they are undefeated and they did beat a good-but yes overrated- Penn State team..not knocking the talent or because they donthave heisman candidates or anything like that

Penn State had a cupcake schedule before Iowa, not to mention Iowa has beat them how many straight years? and even there schedule after Iowa hasnt been impressive..

Michigan State was red-hot?? after losing to both ND and Wisconsin they beat another overrated team in Michigan..good win yes..then beat Illinois and Northwestern..red-hot..really??

same can be said for Wisconsin..whywaseverybody high on them? they played Northern Illinois, Fresno State, Wofford, Mich St by 8 and Minn by 3...

again yes very good team..top 5 definately, but consensus #1 dont think so
cdub6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
gman71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vegas
Posts: 6,130
Default

Great point just mentioned, Iowa beat

N.Iowa
Arkansas St
Mich. State

by a combined 6 points.

There's no way on earth they're a top 4 team. These computer rankings are the most outrageous thing ever
gman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post
Great point just mentioned, Iowa beat

N.Iowa
Arkansas St
Mich. State

by a combined 6 points.

There's no way on earth they're a top 4 team. These computer rankings are the most outrageous thing ever
A win is a win, by a 100, or 1. Its a "W" in the win colum.
__________________
THE MONTEE BALL COLLECTOR. 53 autos and counting!
Incoming montee ball autos: 0
On Wisconsin!
P.47
brett06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Zacky1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,571
Default

Conference games against certain teams will be tough regardless. On Saturday, Iowa became the first Big Ten team in 12 years to win at Penn State, Wisconsin and Michigan State in the same season, three of the most unfriendly spots in the conference. The last Big Ten team to do that also won a national championship, Michigan in 1997.

Am I saying they deserve to be in the title game? No, but they're no slouch. Finding ways to win games shows the poise this team has, considering it doesn't have a Heisman-quality QB or RB.
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett06 View Post
A win is a win, by a 100, or 1. Its a "W" in the win colum.
totally agree 100% which is why i believe there a top 5 team..however if your gonna use this as an argument, it is seriously flawed

take for example the polls now...if a win is a win is a win no matter,

then why is USC who is 6-1, ranked ahead of Cincinnati, Boise St, and TCU who are undefeated at 7-0??

and what happens like a few years back when their are 3 teams or more with undefeated records??

i honestly dont know who should be in the NT game so far...

Florida has looked very beatable the past few weeks....Bama was 5 seconds away from losing to my average Vols...Texas hasnt played anybody excpet for a Bradford and Gresham less Oklahoma...TCUs only convincing win was at BYU...Boise has a cupcake schedule which is why their fading fast....Cinci soundly beat USF but thats it...

honestly as much as i hate to say it (i despise them) USC has the strongest case..despite the inexplicable loss to WA, theyve beaten Ohio St, Cal, and ND...
cdub6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub6238 View Post
totally agree 100% which is why i believe there a top 5 team..however if your gonna use this as an argument, it is seriously flawed

take for example the polls now...if a win is a win is a win no matter,

then why is USC who is 6-1, ranked ahead of Cincinnati, Boise St, and TCU who are undefeated at 7-0??

and what happens like a few years back when their are 3 teams or more with undefeated records??

i honestly dont know who should be in the NT game so far...

Florida has looked very beatable the past few weeks....Bama was 5 seconds away from losing to my average Vols...Texas hasnt played anybody excpet for a Bradford and Gresham less Oklahoma...TCUs only convincing win was at BYU...Boise has a cupcake schedule which is why their fading fast....Cinci soundly beat USF but thats it...

honestly as much as i hate to say it (i despise them) USC has the strongest case..despite the inexplicable loss to WA, theyve beaten Ohio St, Cal, and ND...
You wanna know why USC is currently ranked higher than Cinn? Because USC started in the top ten and lost early. Cinn could pass them if neitehr loses again because they will be undefeated. But as of the moment, USC is higehr because they started out higher and Cinn has had to keep climbing. It always helps to start out high ebcause if you do lose, and then regroup and win again, its easy to move up.
__________________
THE MONTEE BALL COLLECTOR. 53 autos and counting!
Incoming montee ball autos: 0
On Wisconsin!
P.47
brett06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,200
Default

ok let me ask this..then if thats how you defendthe Cinci then

Boise started in pre-season ranked #14..climbed up by week 2 to #12...week 3 oops USC loses, drops to #12 while Boise moves up to #8

both teams have won since...so if your argument of a win is a win is all that matters...whyis USC now #5 and Boise #7..

or you gonna come up with well they had a bye week or whatever..according to your theory thoughthat shouldnt matter should it?
cdub6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,905
Default

Hey, I don't make the polls lol. I just stated my Opinion. Bye weeks also shouldn't matter a ton. USC is loved by all the computers. Which makes the most sense. USC might even draw boise in bowl game. I hate how its all done and a playoff system is needed. That way the best team in the country will be the last one standing. I think that 2-3 teams could be undefeated by the years end. Leave it to the comp to determine who plays where? I hate it. Someone is gonna be mad at the computers this year.
__________________
THE MONTEE BALL COLLECTOR. 53 autos and counting!
Incoming montee ball autos: 0
On Wisconsin!
P.47
brett06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Zacky1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,571
Default

The problem with the BCS is that we're never going to agree on anything...I still don't believe a team like Boise State deserves a shot at the National Title, but then again we all remember their stunner against Oklahoma a couple years ago. I don't know...
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
bigsmoot2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 5,060
Default

I would think that Boise St or TCU would deserve a shot at the title as much as Iowa. The Big Ten is not good this year. Boise State's win over Oregon is looking better by the week, and the TCU has beaten Clemson and BYU. Iowa has wins over Penn St. and then 3 mediocre teams in Michigan, MSU, and UW. Their non-conference was pathetic, and the Big Ten isn't much better. I am a Big Ten watcher here in Minnesota, and I don't think the conference is that great. With that said I hope we end up with 5-6 unbeatens so eventually we can get a playoff and settle this on the field.
__________________
FAN OF: CHICAGO CUBS & DENVER BRONCOS

Last edited by bigsmoot2; 10-25-2009 at 09:21 PM.
bigsmoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,200
Default

never said you made the polls..i just dont agree with your view totally

i agree that yes a win is a win no matter what, but when trying to figure out who the number 1 team in the nation is-strength of schedule should definately be factored in...not so much as how much they win by, but quality of teams-that part the BCS has right

i mean really-not trying to pick on Iowa or anything but just to use an example

say FLA goes unbeaten, Bama only loses to FLA in the SEC title game, Iowa goes unbeaten and USC wins out and has 1 loss

obviously FLA would be in..but what about the other team??

Iowa would be unbeaten, but again they only beat Penn State and Ohio State..2 quality games
Alabama-beats V Tech, a ranked at the time Ole Miss, ranked South Carolina, #9 LSU..and just because they lose to #1 FLA in the SEC game they get left out??
and again with USC-beat Ohio State, ranked Cal team, ND, Oregon and a ranked AZ teamand because they lost early in the season to Washington they get left out?

anyways might be to bigof an example..just saying sometimes its not as easy as just a win is a win and thats it...
cdub6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,905
Default

I see what your saying, but it would be the time of the loss that would put bama out if that would happen. As for USC, they beat a heavily over rated one dimensional cal team, Oregon and the others, so there SOS might help them. But if Ohio St loses 2 more games. That win won't be that big after all. Just cause a team is ranked at that time doesnt mean they will be when the final bcs standings are decided. Its kinda like march madness resumes. You know? Say wisconsin does win the rest and finishes 10-2 and Penn state doesn't lose again. Then those wins would look alot better and help Iowa. The victory over cal doesn't look that big now but the win oregon now does as they have been rolling. There are many reasons but Im thinking its gonna be a tough decision reguadless.

Say bama beats florida by 1 in OT at Bama. Boise goes undefeated. Bama and Iowa or whomever else plays for the BCS title game. FL draws boise and loses by 20 on a neutral field? Did Boise actually deserve to be in the BCS title game then? I know ppl say they played a weak schedule. We all have seen what they can do though. Ask OK 2 years ago. This is, IMO why there needs to be a playoff because then you have Iowa and bama Perfect into their meeting and boise ending perfect leaving 2 undeafted teams. Maybe even 3 if TCU keeps rolling? Drop all the bcs and add a playoff for the top 10. Bowls for the rest. There more than likely will be 2 PERFECT teams after all the bowls are played.
__________________
THE MONTEE BALL COLLECTOR. 53 autos and counting!
Incoming montee ball autos: 0
On Wisconsin!
P.47
brett06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
DieHardCowboyFan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: "The Sunshine State"
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to DieHardCowboyFan33
Default

HOW IS TEXAS STILL #3!?!?!

We killed Missou by 34, and Alabama barely beat Tennesse by 2!, Then Florida only won by like 10 points

Ive gotta be missing something...
__________________
http://s379.photobucket.com/albums/oo233/AFutureLonghorn94/

Currently collecting Brian Orakpo, Jackson Jeffcoat, Alex Okafor, Sam Acho, and DeMarcus Lawrence. Need ALL Cards of them!
If you take more than 24 hours to ship please let me know prior to our deal.
DieHardCowboyFan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:29 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: East valley of the sun
Posts: 784
Default

Answer every person that votes loves the SEC (and TX should be 2nd at least )


we will never know if Boise or Iowa could win a title because even if both FL and bama loose 1 or the other will be in the title game most likely it would take
the top 4 all to take a loss to get 1 or the other in, no one besiedes me and a few of ya want to see Boise or any otehr non SEC team in the game.
mike barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Zacky1053's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike barnes View Post
Answer every person that votes loves the SEC (and TX should be 2nd at least )


we will never know if Boise or Iowa could win a title because even if both FL and bama loose 1 or the other will be in the title game most likely it would take
the top 4 all to take a loss to get 1 or the other in, no one besiedes me and a few of ya want to see Boise or any otehr non SEC team in the game.
Iowa could go undefeated and will most likely still only be in the Rose Bowl as the Big Ten Champ unless they beat Ohio State 100-0...
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.