Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Alex Smith ERA has begun in SAN FRAN !

I am a life long 49ers fan and was pissed when the weak armed, no talent shawn hill won the starting job this yr. Now his true talent shines through by losing his starting job to a #1 Draft pick finally. In my opinion Mike Singletary needs to stick with Alex Smith through the end of the season to give him the oppurtunity he deserves as a former overall #1. they finally had a defense and a Pro Bowl RB and a talented recieving core. 3 TD's in 1 qtr prooves that much. I have a few RC's that will hopefully start to rise if he continues to throw TD's NOT INT's .
ctozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

I am a big niners fan and Alex looked really good on Sunday. You can just see the difference in the arm strength and the quick desicions that he was making with the ball. I think that the improved 49ers receiving corps will help him out tremendously. I hope that he starts the rest of the season.

Collecting Spurs, 49ers, and cubs
country42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think they will both be replaced come next year's draft.
http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss198/sportster2827/
sportster2827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctozzi View Post
Alex Smith ERA has begun in SAN FRAN !
...AGAIN!!!...
MasterPattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

It depends. Hill really has been nothing but a backup. Smith has the skills, and I tend to agree given some talent around him, he stands a solid chance. But if he can't preform, then I can see them looking at a new QB in the draft, given they'll most likely get a middle 1st round pick, I could see either an Oline or Dline draft pick to help bolster the lines.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Was it that Alex Smith was that good or that the Texans just couldn't cover Vernon Davis ? The last two TDs I saw the replays of looked identical. I think Singletary will stick with Smith now as long as Smith doesn't hurt the team. They need to see what he can do before the draft next year. I hope the kid does well because you hate to see someone picked that high be labeled a complete failure (unless he is on the Cowboys)

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Or named Ryan Leaf.
http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss198/sportster2827/
sportster2827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Niners have Carolinas first round pick this year also. I think they will let Smith start the rest of the year and then evaluate the direction they should go in the draft based on how he plays. I think it is important to remember that Smith is still very young.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Was it that Alex Smith was that good or that the Texans just couldn't cover Vernon Davis ? The last two TDs I saw the replays of looked identical. I think Singletary will stick with Smith now as long as Smith doesn't hurt the team. They need to see what he can do before the draft next year. I hope the kid does well because you hate to see someone picked that high be labeled a complete failure (unless he is on the Cowboys)

After he goes 14 for 32 with 1 TD and 3 INT in a 37-7 drubbing by the Colts and fumbles once and gets sacked 3 times then what?

Singletary will be fired before the end of the season.....you can't pull your QB after a half when he didn't turn the ball over and is coming off a bye week and is perfectly healthy........the O-line was complete garbage and once down 21-0 the Texans played prevent defense.......I read nothing into Smith's performance.....if you wanted to read into it then look at this:

The very first time he had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead and had 4 downs to do it, he turned the ball over immediately.

.....if he starts they don't win 3 more games the rest of the year.
EricInCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by country42 View Post
I am a big niners fan and Alex looked really good on Sunday. You can just see the difference in the arm strength and the quick desicions that he was making with the ball. I think that the improved 49ers receiving corps will help him out tremendously. I hope that he starts the rest of the season.

I saw the decision making skills when they rushed 4 down 21.......THEN when the game was within one score and he had a chance to do something......then I saw another set of decision making skills
Old 10-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

I really didn't think that he had enough time at the end of the game to make much happen. The interception was just a desperation throw. I think that we will be able to make better judgements after we see him play a full game this week. If you have watched any niner games this year then you know that Shaun Hill is decent at best. I think Smith gives them a better chance to win now.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

when norv turner was the oc there a couple years ago smith looked alright in 06 and the 49er's were playing good football and then he took the job for the chargers. the following year they started off 2-0 and then smith hurt his shoulder on the 3rd play of the game and every thing fell apart. Also in 06 gore ran for over 1600 yards!!!
248rayment4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster2827 View Post
Or named Ryan Leaf.
you should be banned for typing, said name in the presence of charger faithful.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by country42 View Post
I really didn't think that he had enough time at the end of the game to make much happen. The interception was just a desperation throw. I think that we will be able to make better judgements after we see him play a full game this week. If you have watched any niner games this year then you know that Shaun Hill is decent at best. I think Smith gives them a better chance to win now.

Sounds like Shaun Hill all of the 1st half if you saw the game

Funny how it becomes a problem when you have a chance to tie or go ahead he fails. I can't wait to see Indy put a hurting on Smith
Old 10-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricInCT View Post
Sounds like Shaun Hill all of the 1st half if you saw the game

Funny how it becomes a problem when you have a chance to tie or go ahead he fails. I can't wait to see Indy put a hurting on Smith
Weren't people high on J.T. O'Sullivan just as fast when he had a couple breakout games? Where is he now?
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #16 (permalink)

See what happens when a defense has all week to gameplan for him as opposed to him coming off the bench.
gman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post
See what happens when a defense has all week to gameplan for him as opposed to him coming off the bench.
Good point. And the Colts defense is a step up (or a few steps up) from Houston's...
Zacky1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

I say give Nate Davis the job, I thought he was the best QB in the preseason. He was good at Ball State.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

yes nate davis was very good at ball state!!! i bet on them pretty much every game last year and they covered 90 percent of the time!!! i bet ball state wishes he was still there as they look very bad this year!!!!
248rayment4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

I follow the 49ers very closely....Alex looked great and better than he was in 06 and the beginning of 07. He doesnt have the pressure of being the "savor" when he first game into the league. He has been around now long enough and this will be his make or break for the rest of the season.

He will do well. They are running a numbers system like they did in 06 and thats where Alex feels most comfortable. No he wont be the next coming of Joe Montana, Steve Young, or even Jeff Garcia. If you actually watch 49ers games, you can see that the O-Line is playing terrible!!! Cant pass block and are having a terrible time run blocking as well. Yes he threw the pick on the 4th down pass, but he tried to force something and it wasnt like he could do underneath with it being 4th down.

I also see a lot of people that want to see Nate Davis. He wont play this season. Singletary has already stated several times that he is not NFL ready to be a starting QB in the league yet. I do think he will be there QB in a few years. Singletary has no need to be fired for benching Hill. He simply wasnt getting the job done. 46 yards passing in a half doesnt cut it. It was time for a change
pw52 is offline   Reply With Quote