Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

The problem is that a product built around set building was produced with so many inane variations that building a set is damn near impossible.

Panini gamed out the actual selling point of the set, for autos that are meaningless (two nearly identical cards, same jersey and everything, of a 5th-round cornerback?)
AsInHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojallad View Post
Busted Contenders.

This was my first time busting thus product. I generally don't complain about breaks cause I do it for fun and I just sell if anything I don't want and move on. But, I really can't begin to understand the fascination with this product. i mean whats the allure of getting 70 crap autos ( with the potential for a SSP Ol card) and 2 or three mediocre to good autos. The inserts are worthless, the sets are worthless, So what the crap has Any real value? Needless to say i will not be doing Contenders Next Year.

Anyone else feel this way or Can Contenders do no wrong?
Why is this thread Contenders only. Seems like you desribed every single product.
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Rob View Post
What's the over/under for "I'm gonna bitch about Panini and Contenders" threads created in the next two weeks?
Over/Under at a Bakers Dozen....
Old 02-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption King View Post
Actually this year Panini has been weak with junk and more sticker autos then ever
Amazingly more sticker autos and STILL a bunch of redemptions.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
Why is this thread Contenders only. Seems like you desribed every single product.

True but, I would argue that at the same price/ case that even a BRAND new product like Prizm offers better value to the case ripper than Contenders. Yes you probably get two crappy autos, and possibly a redemption for one of the top guys but... You also get a red die cut in every box, on average 1 or 2 golds in a case and the base sets sell really well.

I am NOT in this to make money, I love to bust wax ( my 4th favorite thing to do in life). So I rip sell what I don't want ( take my loss, I mean entertainment expense) and use those funds to move on to the next project. I generally expect to spend NET half of the cost of a case, or I'm ok spending $1500 and recouping $750 and moving on.

With that said, for someone like ME this product in my opinion does not offer me the opportunity to get half my money back. UNLESS I HIT Luck, Rg3 or a 1/1. That is terrible.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
True but, I would argue that at the same price/ case that even a BRAND new product like Prizm offers better value to the case ripper than Contenders. Yes you probably get two crappy autos, and possibly a redemption for one of the top guys but... You also get a red die cut in every box, on average 1 or 2 golds in a case and the base sets sell really well.

I am NOT in this to make money, I love to bust wax ( my 4th favorite thing to do in life). So I rip sell what I don't want ( take my loss, I mean entertainment expense) and use those funds to move on to the next project. I generally expect to spend NET half of the cost of a case, or I'm ok spending $1500 and recouping $750 and moving on.

With that said, for someone like ME this product in my opinion does not offer me the opportunity to get half my money back. UNLESS I HIT Luck, Rg3 or a 1/1. That is terrible.
thats every topps product out there except the do no wrong chrome, i honestly bought more panini this year becasue they were the only ones putting out hits for my team
JonMead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorsharp79 View Post
The on cards are the best looking contenders well since 1998..love the look this year...the cracked ice /20 autos will be huge success IMO...busting is gambling, that is all, nothing more, nothing less. I have 4 boxes coming tomorrow and am thinking of busting, but know I could lose a couple hundo vs selling sealed...

The premise of contenders is to have guys who are not necessarily hits yet....I imagine people pulled brady years ago and said damn who is this scrub...haha...

And if anyone busted strata, there is no way this is worse... NO WAY haha

This hobby now is all about instant gratification, and look at me, look at what I pulled. If you love it, who cares about money lost, if you do because all you care about is money you do not buy boxes/cases...
Partially True. When Brady was a Rc how many other products did he have an auto in 5-6? That alone would keep the value up. Lets assume that Chandler Harnish or Kirk Cousins, or Ryan Lindley is the next Tom Brady, those guys have autos in 30+ different products. Their cards will never see Brady's value on sheer supply. So in today's (1990s) style of production I do not agree with you.

If panini or Topps or UD for that matter have the need to water down all of their products with crappy autos, that fine. But, put something else in the product to maintain value,for the collector. Refractors, Prizms, Plates are all a good start . Insert sets should be limited, not a 1/pack occurrence.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #33 (permalink)

A red die cut in every box........yay.........I got a Polamalu in one (couldn't sell for $9) and a worthless Hanky. Yes those red die cuts sure have value!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
A red die cut in every box........yay.........I got a Polamalu in one (couldn't sell for $9) and a worthless Hanky. Yes those red die cuts sure have value!

I got 18 red die cuts in my 18 boxes. I sold them for $125. Those 18 cards are with more than all 10 of the sets in my case of contenders, and worth more thanks the BEST auto I got in my case.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #35 (permalink)

Is 2011 contender any good?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
I got 18 red die cuts in my 18 boxes. I sold them for $125. Those 18 cards are with more than all 10 of the sets in my case of contenders, and worth more thanks the BEST auto I got in my case.
And if you had hit a Luck auto in your case............
Old 02-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
I understand. But at the same time, if you took your 18 "woorst" autos from Contenders and listed them right away you would probably get atleast $125.

http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd519/popmaz/?start=20
popmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
And if you had hit a Luck auto in your case............

Still would not have mattered. The Luck sells for $350 or so.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Partially True. When Brady was a Rc how many other products did he have an auto in 5-6? That alone would keep the value up. Lets assume that Chandler Harnish or Kirk Cousins, or Ryan Lindley is the next Tom Brady, those guys have autos in 30+ different products. Their cards will never see Brady's value on sheer supply. So in today's (1990s) style of production I do not agree with you.

If panini or Topps or UD for that matter have the need to water down all of their products with crappy autos, that fine. But, put something else in the product to maintain value,for the collector. Refractors, Prizms, Plates are all a good start . Insert sets should be limited, not a 1/pack occurrence.
You misunderstand the intent of a Contenders release. The focus is all about the ROOKIE TICKET AUTO. There are vet autos thrown in there as well, but it has never been about the insert sets or refractors.

They added the cracked ice auto /20 and playoff ticket auto is a nice touch. And I am glad they returned to the championship ticket 1/1 auto verbiage.

And my point of bringing up Brady is people pulled him back then and said WTF, and sold him for nothing vs now.....same thing with Kaepernick....We could be doing the same thing with this year. Who really knows...?

The entitlement attitude of my case sucked so panini or topps sucks is pathetic. You want instant gratification, look at what i pulled an since you did not pull anything you are crying... Busting is gambling. Everyone knows this. Go bust 2009, 2010, 2011, there are MORE scrubs in each them. Its not like this just started this season...Wait until 2013...Omg are people gonna whine...lmao
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
You misunderstand the intent of a Contenders release. The focus is all about the ROOKIE TICKET AUTO. There are vet autos thrown in there as well, but it has never been about the insert sets or refractors.

They added the cracked ice auto /20 and playoff ticket auto is a nice touch. And I am glad they returned to the championship ticket 1/1 auto verbiage.

And my point of bringing up Brady is people pulled him back then and said WTF, and sold him for nothing vs now.....same thing with Kaepernick....We could be doing the same thing with this year. Who really knows...?

The entitlement attitude of my case sucked so panini or topps sucks is pathetic. You want instant gratification, look at what i pulled an since you did not pull anything you are crying... Busting is gambling. Everyone knows this. Go bust 2009, 2010, 2011, there are MORE scrubs in each them. Its not like this just started this season...Wait until 2013...Omg are people gonna whine...lmao

I don't want to make money or I don't expect to pull a hot player out of every box. All I'm saying is this is not a product for me. I don't want to build the set, it's not fun to rip and it does not afford me the ability to sell anything but autos to recoup SOME funds.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:

I not saying Panini sucks cause my contenders case sucked. I'm just saying Contenders sucks as it pertains to my taste. This all.

If I busted a case of Topps Chrome football and did not hit a luck or a griffin I wouldn't care. I bested prizm and didn't hit a luck, griffin, Wilson, Martin auto and I didn't care. Both were fun breaks and had different things to look forward to.

And. I agree with you Contenders should be a product that you buy single cards on eBay or here and sit on them for a while, it's kind of like prospecting with BC/BDPP baseball. Is just not for me.

Lesson learned.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #42 (permalink)

Biggest problem for me with 2012 contenders is only 1 on card auto when it was advertised as 2.
jusdukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmaz View Post
I understand. But at the same time, if you took your 18 "woorst" autos from Contenders and listed them right away you would probably get atleast $125.

My 18 worst autos are worth $5 or less, I don't think so. That not really the point. I fully expect to get worthless autos in any product. But, what about the
Other 115 cards in each box? Basically worthless.

Again, lesson learned. Won't buy this product again.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusdukky View Post
Biggest problem for me with 2012 contenders is only 1 on card auto when it was advertised as 2.
Is that a personal preference thing? Or do you thing on card would actually change value on an Isaiah Pead auto?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Is that a personal preference thing? Or do you thing on card would actually change value on an Isaiah Pead auto?
You know the fact that people constantly degrade these cards the way you are helps and in reality is why they have no value.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
You know the fact that people constantly degrade these cards the way you are helps and in reality is why they have no value.

Not sure I follow you. Are you saying that I am degrading the player, on-card vs. sticker, or the product.

I wasn't making a judgement of the player or the concept,of on card or sticker. I was just asking a question.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:

And the reason why value is degraded is supply not my opinion of the product or the card or the sticker for that matter. The fact that there are 550 DIFFERENT Andrew Luck and over 600 RG3 autos ( so far) kills value.

There are 13 differnt Tom Brady Auto Rcs
160 or so different Eli Manning Auto Rcs
150 or so different Roethlisberger auto Rcs
30 or so different Peyton Manning autos Rc

So 600 autos of the current ROY vs 150 of the 2004 ROY

You tell me what destroys value
Old 02-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusdukky View Post
or when you get none in two boxes!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I don't want to make money or I don't expect to pull a hot player out of every box. All I'm saying is this is not a product for me. I don't want to build the set, it's not fun to rip and it does not afford me the ability to sell anything but autos to recoup SOME funds.
It took you busting 2012 to realize this?
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
It took you busting 2012 to realize this?

I have never busted contenders before, I Thot I already mentioned that.