Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is anyone else really mad that they....

Busted Contenders.

This was my first time busting thus product. I generally don't complain about breaks cause I do it for fun and I just sell if anything I don't want and move on. But, I really can't begin to understand the fascination with this product. i mean whats the allure of getting 70 crap autos ( with the potential for a SSP Ol card) and 2 or three mediocre to good autos. The inserts are worthless, the sets are worthless, So what the crap has Any real value? Needless to say i will not be doing Contenders Next Year.

Anyone else feel this way or Can Contenders do no wrong?
Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Im with you... Crap product is crap
Old 02-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

The only reason I bust contenders if for the resell value. Personally I think they are cheap looking cards.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Ya, contenders suck big donkey kok this year!!! Can't believe I spent my Prizm Retail money on 2 cases of this crap. Never again!!
SKCardCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Buying singles all day long, but I don't think I will buy any boxes. Unless you are lucky and hit one of the huge names, the best you can hope for is all the possible SP hype that is driving non-SP's up to $10-$30 cards. If you are landing a box at $140, you are in to each auto at roughly $23. Once that bubble pops and Panini releases numbers, most of those guys are going to sell for $5 each. If you hold in hopes of finding a true SSP, you miss out on the the hype value and end up eating an even bigger loss if you guess wrong. We are 2 days into release and breaks, so it is even tougher to call who is short printed or not as there is no telling how many people have not buster their boxes/cases yet and how many people are in the holding pattern waiting for print runs. Tough call man.

Last edited by Seanathan297; 02-07-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Seanathan297 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Panini is #@#@#@#@, product is #@#@#@#@.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanathan297 View Post
Buying singles all day long, but I don't think I will buy any boxes. Unless you are lucky and hit one of the huge names, the best you can hope for is all the possible SP hype that is driving non-SP's up to $10-$30 cards. Once that bubble pops and Panini releases numbers, most of those guys are going to sell for $5 each. If you hold in hopes of finding a true SSP, you miss out on the the hype value and end up eating an even bigger loss if you guess wrong. We are 2 days into release and breaks, so it is even tougher to call who is short printed or not as there is no telling how many people have not buster their boxes/cases yet and how many people are in the holding pattern waiting for print runs. Tough call man.
Speaking of Panini releasing SP info, does anyone know when that will be? I thought I saw tomorrow but may be confusing that with something else.
rmw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojallad View Post
Busted Contenders.

This was my first time busting thus product. I generally don't complain about breaks cause I do it for fun and I just sell if anything I don't want and move on. But, I really can't begin to understand the fascination with this product. i mean whats the allure of getting 70 crap autos ( with the potential for a SSP Ol card) and 2 or three mediocre to good autos. The inserts are worthless, the sets are worthless, So what the crap has Any real value? Needless to say i will not be doing Contenders Next Year.

Anyone else feel this way or Can Contenders do no wrong?
contenders you are better off just buying the autographs you want, you are almost going to lose half your money 9 out of 10 times on a case.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw10 View Post
Speaking of Panini releasing SP info, does anyone know when that will be? I thought I saw tomorrow but may be confusing that with something else.
I do believe that, every single cards are SHORT PRINT.. I mean Super Short Print!! SSP!!
Go PooooNani!
SKCardCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

What about them going to one card auto per box effectively reducing your chances of hitting a big three auto to about one in 3 cases or more. This year sucks compared to last year.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have loved Contenders over the years, but this is by far, the worst release of Contenders ever. Period. End of story. They should have waited another month to get more on-card stuff signed - they simply ruined it this year. And still tons of redemptions.
I pull scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I pull scrubs View Post
I have loved Contenders over the years, but this is by far, the worst release of Contenders ever. Period. End of story. They should have waited another month to get more on-card stuff signed - they simply ruined it this year. And still tons of redemptions.
Totally agree. Morale sucker on how this years contenders turned out. Actually this year Panini has been weak with junk and more sticker autos then ever
Redemption King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

Im going to say this once again... If people keep buying crap theyre going to keep making crap!

Until they see a significant drop in sales nothings going to change people are still going to go out and bust this stuff like crazy. Why put out a good product when they can toss together crap people still buy? Panini's products are AWFUL. It's sad really, they took some of my favorite products and absolutely ruined them.
King23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Skaughtt0 Send a message via AIM to Skaughtt0

I hear retail is going to have two more variations of each rookie auto
Skaughtt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

it sucks this year...
VikingsAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaughtt0 View Post
I hear retail is going to have two more variations of each rookie auto
Both with print runs of 500 each lmao
Seanathan297 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King23dog View Post
Im going to say this once again... If people keep buying crap theyre going to keep making crap!

Until they see a significant drop in sales nothings going to change people are still going to go out and bust this stuff like crazy. Why put out a good product when they can toss together crap people still buy? Panini's products are AWFUL. It's sad really, they took some of my favorite products and absolutely ruined them.
And this is why I am done buying Panini product from now on!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #18 (permalink)

This product made me walk away from packs for good. It was the last product I enjoyed. It was terrible. I spent my 1500 on a case and that is the last nickel they will ever get from me. If we all did this and truly stuck to it... I am one that will quit and never look back
VintageCards4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

Not upset, or surprised Contenders sucks this year. Panini finds a way to #@#@#@#@ up every product. But all the lemmings continue to bust their product by the case!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

The on cards are the best looking contenders well since 1998..love the look this year...the cracked ice /20 autos will be huge success IMO...busting is gambling, that is all, nothing more, nothing less. I have 4 boxes coming tomorrow and am thinking of busting, but know I could lose a couple hundo vs selling sealed...

The premise of contenders is to have guys who are not necessarily hits yet....I imagine people pulled brady years ago and said damn who is this scrub...haha...

And if anyone busted strata, there is no way this is worse... NO WAY haha

This hobby now is all about instant gratification, and look at me, look at what I pulled. If you love it, who cares about money lost, if you do because all you care about is money you do not buy boxes/cases...

Last edited by Razorsharp79; 02-08-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #21 (permalink)

FYI, the over/under on the "I only buy singles and it's waaaaay cheaper" posts on a thread like this is 4.

Who wants the action?
blevins26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

I'm not mad I busted Contenders! Crackled ice Andrew Luck auto /20 came out of the 5 boxes I busted tonight. Look for all the hits in the box break section after I get done sleeving, top loading and scanning.
zerodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins26 View Post
FYI, the over/under on the "I only buy singles and it's waaaaay cheaper" posts on a thread like this is 4.

Who wants the action?
What's the over/under for "I'm gonna bitch about Panini and Contenders" threads created in the next two weeks?
Old 02-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorsharp79 View Post
The on cards are the best looking contenders well since 1998..love the look this year...the cracked ice /20 autos will be huge success IMO...busting is gambling, that is all, nothing more, nothing less. I have 4 boxes coming tomorrow and am thinking of busting, but know I could lose a couple hundo vs selling sealed...

The premise of contenders is to have guys who are not necessarily hits yet....I imagine people pulled brady years ago and said damn who is this scrub...haha...

And if anyone busted strata, there is no way this is worse... NO WAY haha

This hobby now is all about instant gratification, and look at me, look at what I pulled. If you love it, who cares about money lost, if you do because all you care about is money you do not buy boxes/cases...
Damn man, a rare post on this board with some sense and no entitlement mentality.

If you're trying to bust a box of cards and profit, go buy scratchers tickets. If you're a (real) collector, this is an amazing time to buy cards. So much variety, so many choices, so much quality in volume. Too many young pups who have (ironic that I say that since I am 23, but I have seen a lot of older products up close and personal in my hands, most of it is overproduced garbage, yeah it was cheap, it's still trash. I wouldn't punish the ocean by dumping it in there)
been looking at all of the boobaliphonic box breaks on YouTube and expect every case to be just like that. Well, hate to break it to you, they're more than likely going to be mediocre or below average, just the nature of cards.
Andrew Luck RIP Oscar Taveras
HBMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #25 (permalink)

I don't collect cards for money. I usually buy singles so I can get what I want, however I have busted a lot more this year. I've had SOME luck (pulling RGIII, Tom BRady auto jersey, and other decent cards), but more often then not when buying boxes expect to get burned. It's like spinning the roulette whell.

However I must admit, all of the negative talk about contenders seriously has me reconsidering the case that I purchased. I always wanted to bust a case, and I PLANNED on putting the set together, however I put the deposit down when I thought there was 2 on card per box (like many others did I'm sure). I realize they packed out stickers to eliminate redemptions, but they aren't even giving you two RPS rookies per box (sticker or no sticker). On top of that, I have seen very little in regards of insert set autographs (legendary contenders, etc.) I don't want to pay $1,500 for a bunch of scrubs. At this point I might have to just sell all the boxes and break something more fun like chrome or Elite.
rj.cataldo is offline   Reply With Quote