Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   FOOTBALL (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football/)
-   -   USPS Damaged my BGS 9.5/10 Patrick Peterson NT (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football/451789-usps-damaged-my-bgs-9-5-10-patrick-peterson-nt.html)

Razorsharp79 02-11-2013 08:45 PM

USPS Damaged my BGS 9.5/10 Patrick Peterson NT

I sold this card on here to someone for 195, insured.

Pics are below...packaged this card in a graded card sleeve, with a dummy card and a half on each side and inside another graded card sleeve...

Already told buyer refund is no problem.....this is the first time I have ever had a card damaged in the mail

Now to the USPS
If I file a claim with them on this item, will I get a refund of 195? Will I get a partial refund?

If they do refund me in full or partial, do they keep the card or do I keep the card + whatever refund is given?

It is obviously not BGS 9.5 anymore which diminishes the value...just would like to know what to expect before I go that route from anyone who has been down that road...

TIA :)!

[IMG]http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy231/elephantman1237/photo2_zps19613609.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy231/elephantman1237/photo1_zps8c0ce51e.jpg[/IMG]

Picture before it was shipped
[IMG]http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad227/timmyray79/scan0431.jpg[/IMG]

BigDan502 02-11-2013 08:47 PM

You can try making a claim but I guarantee, you will never get paid.

JonMead 02-11-2013 08:48 PM

that sucks man, i had a 1970 reggie jackson i bought get damaged it was bccg 7 i doubt it would get bvg 6 now

scorpion1157 02-11-2013 08:50 PM

well its just the plastic thats damaged but not the main item.....i would think the grading company would reslad that for free....im not sure

Razorsharp79 02-11-2013 08:51 PM

[QUOTE=BigDan502;4235338]You can try making a claim but I guarantee, you will never get paid.[/QUOTE]

Please elaborate...thanks

Razorsharp79 02-11-2013 08:54 PM

[QUOTE=scorpion1157;4235373]well its just the plastic thats damaged but not the main item.....i would think the grading company would reslad that for free....im not sure[/QUOTE]

The top edge of card is damaged. If it was just the case I would be HAPPY

KevJo 02-11-2013 08:58 PM

That stinks, probably the only NT PP BGS 10 Auto.

Kevin

trixstar 02-11-2013 08:59 PM

how on earth did it get damaged from the inside when there's no visible damage on the case

nevermind just noticed the top corner...still though I don't see how that part of the card gets that kind of damage

bradsholly 02-11-2013 09:10 PM

how the F did it get damaged in the slab....my guess is, they tell you that you're SOL!!

bigbensbff 02-11-2013 09:11 PM

[QUOTE=Razorsharp79;4235377]Please elaborate...thanks[/QUOTE]

USPS insurance claims tend to be a hassle. First off if you sold it here then you don't have the eBay listing for a "value".

USPS is very reluctant to accept claims on cards. It's going to be difficult to prove the $195 value on that card. They very rarely accept eBay completed listings or Beckett values to prove the value. To them you could have sent a 1990s common and over insured it.

There have been times on cards where they will only pay an amount less then you insured for. The reviewer will tell you that you over insured and we will only cover this for $100.

Shipcover is much better but I'm pretty sure that only is for eBay deals.

I also believe that even if you win full amount you are still out the card. if that happens you will use the insurance to refund your buyer and you have the damaged card.

In a nut shell, insurance claims are a nightmare on sports cards

Razorsharp79 02-11-2013 09:14 PM

[QUOTE=trixstar;4235477]how on earth did it get damaged from the inside when there's no visible damage on the case

nevermind just noticed the top corner...still though I don't see how that part of the card gets that kind of damage[/QUOTE]

I was dumbfounded how the top edge got messed up like that without anything going thru the holder...

TheBurg 02-11-2013 09:17 PM

Well, technically it's still a BGS 9.5/10!
Just trying to stay on the bright side.

Razorsharp79 02-11-2013 09:26 PM

[QUOTE=bigbensbff;4235610]USPS insurance claims tend to be a hassle. First off if you sold it here then you don't have the eBay listing for a "value".

USPS is very reluctant to accept claims on cards. It's going to be difficult to prove the $195 value on that card. They very rarely accept eBay completed listings or Beckett values to prove the value. To them you could have sent a 1990s common and over insured it.

There have been times on cards where they will only pay an amount less then you insured for. The reviewer will tell you that you over insured and we will only cover this for $100.

I also believe that even if you win full amount you are still out the card. if that happens you will use the insurance to refund your buyer and you have the damaged card.

In a nut shell, insurance claims are a nightmare on sports cards[/QUOTE]

So even with paypal receipt showing buyer paid 195 for it and tracking number showing it was sent to that person's address it is a hassle? WOW haha

zonacats8 02-11-2013 09:27 PM

[QUOTE=bigbensbff;4235610]USPS insurance claims tend to be a hassle. First off if you sold it here then you don't have the eBay listing for a "value".

In a nut shell, insurance claims are a nightmare on sports cards[/QUOTE]

That's ridiculous, then what is the point in actually insuring it?

rudyjustinfarrell 02-11-2013 09:31 PM

It looks like the card was dropped on it's LABEL TOP edge, perpendicular to the ground. The card would have slammed into the penny sleeve, then kept going til it hit the plastic wall of the BGS slab. The box was probably dropped somewhere in transit.

romad97 02-11-2013 09:31 PM

That sucks man, sorry to hear it. My question for all of you that are saying he will never get re embursed is whats the point of insurance then? If they don't pay out then why spend the extra money for it?

wheeler281 02-11-2013 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=romad97;4235883]That sucks man, sorry to hear it. My question for all of you that are saying he will never get re embursed is whats the point of insurance then? If they don't pay out then why spend the extra money for it?[/QUOTE]

Krup hit it on the head. You are better off using a 3rd party for insurance. As stated the usps does not recognize card value. Not even completed ebay listings. Just to easy to fabricate I guess. Using usps for insurance is a waste of money

Sorry to see that happened Tim. I think we pm'ed back and forth before about usps insurance. Good Luck man. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Sometimes you can get lucky. Either way it will take a long long time

bigbensbff 02-11-2013 09:36 PM

[QUOTE=zonacats8;4235845]That's ridiculous, then what is the point in actually insuring it?[/QUOTE]

really there is very little point to using USPS insurance. i still do it for my very large non ebay sales regardless but it's a pig and a poke...

ShipCover is really good for ebay transactions

Bigo311 02-11-2013 09:37 PM

The most baffling thing here is that a Patrick Peterson sticker auto was a 10!

Razorsharp79 02-11-2013 09:46 PM

[QUOTE=wheeler281;4235931]Krup hit it on the head. You are better off using a 3rd party for insurance. As stated the usps does not recognize card value. Not even completed ebay listings. Just to easy to fabricate I guess. Using usps for insurance is a waste of money

Sorry to see that happened Tim. I think we pm'ed back and forth before about usps insurance. Good Luck man. Squeaky wheel gets the greases. Sometimes you can get lucky[B]. Either way it will take a long long time[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah that is what I am worried about, ...as bad as this is, the one thing that is unique is the auto grade which has not been damaged...I was considering once I refund the buyer to send it too beckett in current slab and see if edges could get bgs 8...which would put card at bgs 8.5 with 10 auto...sucks to drop a full point..Figure maybe the card would be 100-125 at grade so I am out 70-100 bucks roughly vs waiting a long time

funny is I thought about our convo after I got the PM from buyer...haha

what protection do sellers have here insuring high end items? UPS...FED-EX...?

iluvfish2 02-11-2013 09:49 PM

Actually they'd honor the claim assuming you have proof of the card condition prior to shipping and can prove card was well packaged. You will need to proof proof of sale as thats your easist way of documenting the sale price. However they will keep the card and I'd assume it would be destroyed when all things are said and done.

chasacar86 02-11-2013 09:53 PM

[QUOTE=rudyjustinfarrell;4235879]It looks like the card was dropped on it's LABEL TOP edge, perpendicular to the ground. The card would have slammed into the penny sleeve, then kept going til it hit the plastic wall of the BGS slab. The box was probably dropped somewhere in transit.[/QUOTE]

This is how. A card that heavy would certainly have the momentum to bust through a penny sleeve if dropped.

Tough break Timmy...hope they make it right. I could just imagine trying to explain to a 60 year old woman how awesome a PP auto that stays all the way on the sticker would be :eek:

Razorsharp79 02-11-2013 10:06 PM

[QUOTE=iluvfish2;4236115]Actually they'd honor the claim assuming you have proof of the card condition prior to shipping and can prove card was well packaged. You will need to proof proof of sale as thats your easist way of documenting the sale price. However they will keep the card and I'd assume it would be destroyed when all things are said and done.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I do have scans of front and back prior to shipping

I shipped card in graded card sleeve inside another graded card sleeve with thick dummy cards cut to fit inside that covered the entire slab, then put in a bubble mailer. Have shipped that way plenty of times with no hiccups...it was not just put in there bare....looks like I will be paying the priority mail small flat rate box now on

pnft17 02-11-2013 10:54 PM

In damaged holder pics I can't see the serial #? I'd make sure that serial #'s match up. Seems weird a card could get damaged inside BGS holder like that.

jr24ai3 02-11-2013 11:25 PM

[QUOTE=JonMead;4235352]that sucks man, i had a 1970 reggie jackson i bought get damaged it was bccg 7 i doubt it would get bvg 6 now[/QUOTE]

You realize a BCCG 7 is only VG or Better. VG is a BVG 3.