Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Exclamation USPS Damaged my BGS 9.5/10 Patrick Peterson NT

I sold this card on here to someone for 195, insured.

Pics are below...packaged this card in a graded card sleeve, with a dummy card and a half on each side and inside another graded card sleeve...

Already told buyer refund is no problem.....this is the first time I have ever had a card damaged in the mail

Now to the USPS
If I file a claim with them on this item, will I get a refund of 195? Will I get a partial refund?

If they do refund me in full or partial, do they keep the card or do I keep the card + whatever refund is given?

It is obviously not BGS 9.5 anymore which diminishes the value...just would like to know what to expect before I go that route from anyone who has been down that road...

TIA

Picture before it was shipped
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can try making a claim but I guarantee, you will never get paid.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

that sucks man, i had a 1970 reggie jackson i bought get damaged it was bccg 7 i doubt it would get bvg 6 now
JonMead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

well its just the plastic thats damaged but not the main item.....i would think the grading company would reslad that for free....im not sure
scorpion1157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan502 View Post
You can try making a claim but I guarantee, you will never get paid.
Please elaborate...thanks
Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1157 View Post
well its just the plastic thats damaged but not the main item.....i would think the grading company would reslad that for free....im not sure
The top edge of card is damaged. If it was just the case I would be HAPPY
Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

That stinks, probably the only NT PP BGS 10 Auto.

Kevin
Old 02-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

how on earth did it get damaged from the inside when there's no visible damage on the case

nevermind just noticed the top corner...still though I don't see how that part of the card gets that kind of damage
trixstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

how the F did it get damaged in the slab....my guess is, they tell you that you're SOL!!
bradsholly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorsharp79 View Post
Please elaborate...thanks
USPS insurance claims tend to be a hassle. First off if you sold it here then you don't have the eBay listing for a "value".

USPS is very reluctant to accept claims on cards. It's going to be difficult to prove the $195 value on that card. They very rarely accept eBay completed listings or Beckett values to prove the value. To them you could have sent a 1990s common and over insured it.

There have been times on cards where they will only pay an amount less then you insured for. The reviewer will tell you that you over insured and we will only cover this for $100.

Shipcover is much better but I'm pretty sure that only is for eBay deals.

I also believe that even if you win full amount you are still out the card. if that happens you will use the insurance to refund your buyer and you have the damaged card.

In a nut shell, insurance claims are a nightmare on sports cards
bigbensbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixstar View Post
how on earth did it get damaged from the inside when there's no visible damage on the case

nevermind just noticed the top corner...still though I don't see how that part of the card gets that kind of damage
I was dumbfounded how the top edge got messed up like that without anything going thru the holder...
Old 02-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Well, technically it's still a BGS 9.5/10!
Just trying to stay on the bright side.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbensbff View Post
USPS insurance claims tend to be a hassle. First off if you sold it here then you don't have the eBay listing for a "value".

USPS is very reluctant to accept claims on cards. It's going to be difficult to prove the $195 value on that card. They very rarely accept eBay completed listings or Beckett values to prove the value. To them you could have sent a 1990s common and over insured it.

There have been times on cards where they will only pay an amount less then you insured for. The reviewer will tell you that you over insured and we will only cover this for $100.

I also believe that even if you win full amount you are still out the card. if that happens you will use the insurance to refund your buyer and you have the damaged card.

So even with paypal receipt showing buyer paid 195 for it and tracking number showing it was sent to that person's address it is a hassle? WOW haha
Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbensbff View Post

That's ridiculous, then what is the point in actually insuring it?
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

It looks like the card was dropped on it's LABEL TOP edge, perpendicular to the ground. The card would have slammed into the penny sleeve, then kept going til it hit the plastic wall of the BGS slab. The box was probably dropped somewhere in transit.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

That sucks man, sorry to hear it. My question for all of you that are saying he will never get re embursed is whats the point of insurance then? If they don't pay out then why spend the extra money for it?
romad97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to wheeler281

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad97 View Post
That sucks man, sorry to hear it. My question for all of you that are saying he will never get re embursed is whats the point of insurance then? If they don't pay out then why spend the extra money for it?
Krup hit it on the head. You are better off using a 3rd party for insurance. As stated the usps does not recognize card value. Not even completed ebay listings. Just to easy to fabricate I guess. Using usps for insurance is a waste of money

Sorry to see that happened Tim. I think we pm'ed back and forth before about usps insurance. Good Luck man. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Sometimes you can get lucky. Either way it will take a long long time

Last edited by wheeler281; 02-11-2013 at 10:41 PM.
wheeler281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonacats8 View Post
That's ridiculous, then what is the point in actually insuring it?
really there is very little point to using USPS insurance. i still do it for my very large non ebay sales regardless but it's a pig and a poke...

ShipCover is really good for ebay transactions
bigbensbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

The most baffling thing here is that a Patrick Peterson sticker auto was a 10!

Also interested in anything I can get a good deal on
Bigo311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler281 View Post
Krup hit it on the head. You are better off using a 3rd party for insurance. As stated the usps does not recognize card value. Not even completed ebay listings. Just to easy to fabricate I guess. Using usps for insurance is a waste of money

Sorry to see that happened Tim. I think we pm'ed back and forth before about usps insurance. Good Luck man. Squeaky wheel gets the greases. Sometimes you can get lucky. Either way it will take a long long time
Yeah that is what I am worried about, ...as bad as this is, the one thing that is unique is the auto grade which has not been damaged...I was considering once I refund the buyer to send it too beckett in current slab and see if edges could get bgs 8...which would put card at bgs 8.5 with 10 auto...sucks to drop a full point..Figure maybe the card would be 100-125 at grade so I am out 70-100 bucks roughly vs waiting a long time

funny is I thought about our convo after I got the PM from buyer...haha

what protection do sellers have here insuring high end items? UPS...FED-EX...?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Actually they'd honor the claim assuming you have proof of the card condition prior to shipping and can prove card was well packaged. You will need to proof proof of sale as thats your easist way of documenting the sale price. However they will keep the card and I'd assume it would be destroyed when all things are said and done.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjustinfarrell View Post
It looks like the card was dropped on it's LABEL TOP edge, perpendicular to the ground. The card would have slammed into the penny sleeve, then kept going til it hit the plastic wall of the BGS slab. The box was probably dropped somewhere in transit.
This is how. A card that heavy would certainly have the momentum to bust through a penny sleeve if dropped.

Tough break Timmy...hope they make it right. I could just imagine trying to explain to a 60 year old woman how awesome a PP auto that stays all the way on the sticker would be
Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
Actually they'd honor the claim assuming you have proof of the card condition prior to shipping and can prove card was well packaged. You will need to proof proof of sale as thats your easist way of documenting the sale price. However they will keep the card and I'd assume it would be destroyed when all things are said and done.
Thanks, I do have scans of front and back prior to shipping

I shipped card in graded card sleeve inside another graded card sleeve with thick dummy cards cut to fit inside that covered the entire slab, then put in a bubble mailer. Have shipped that way plenty of times with no hiccups...it was not just put in there bare....looks like I will be paying the priority mail small flat rate box now on
Old 02-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #24 (permalink)

In damaged holder pics I can't see the serial #? I'd make sure that serial #'s match up. Seems weird a card could get damaged inside BGS holder like that.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMead View Post
that sucks man, i had a 1970 reggie jackson i bought get damaged it was bccg 7 i doubt it would get bvg 6 now
You realize a BCCG 7 is only VG or Better. VG is a BVG 3.
jr24ai3 is online now   Reply With Quote