Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Making of Fake Patches

Haha I'm going to start off by saying that I am in no way asking for step by step instructions to try and start making these so I don't get bashed for this! I used to be a BIG patch collector and the flood of fake patches has started to make me wonder how people are now making these so easily.

I've been wondering how people make such good fake patches? It seems like when people started trying to fake these most of the edges would be damaged or you could tell it had been tampered with. How do people make them look so clean when they are not only glued in, but they then fit in a much larger chunk of patch?

It sucks people can make these fake patches so clean. Do they have that much time of their hands to change these? When people are faking a simple patch card to make a few extra bucks it just doesn't seem worth it to me? Me and a buddy tried to just take a jersey out of an old worthless card and it was a pain in the a** to even get it out I can't imagine then trying to fit a "logo patch" into it's place without damaging any edges. (No we were not trying to make a fake patch card before any accusations are made)

Hopefully I explained myself well enough so people understand what I'm asking! Thanks for any information
King23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

ive ALWAYS wondered this myself
Old 02-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by King23dog View Post
Haha I'm going to start off by saying that I am in no way asking for step by step instructions to try and start making these so I don't get bashed for this! I used to be a BIG patch collector and the flood of fake patches has started to make me wonder how people are now making these so easily.

I've been wondering how people make such good fake patches? It seems like when people started trying to fake these most of the edges would be damaged or you could tell it had been tampered with. How do people make them look so clean when they are not only glued in, but they then fit in a much larger chunk of patch?

It sucks people can make these fake patches so clean. Do they have that much time of their hands to change these? When people are faking a simple patch card to make a few extra bucks it just doesn't seem worth it to me? Me and a buddy tried to just take a jersey out of an old worthless card and it was a pain in the a** to even get it out I can't imagine then trying to fit a "logo patch" into it's place without damaging any edges. (No we were not trying to make a fake patch card before any accusations are made)

Hopefully I explained myself well enough so people understand what I'm asking! Thanks for any information
It's very much worth it to scammers, sometimes a few hundred more. Saw a babe Ruth change from a one color to a two color and the price went from 200$- 800$. People make a living doing this so it's got to be more then a couple bucks.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Damned scammers. It just drives me nuts...wherever there is a buck to be made...there is a scammer
Old 02-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
ive ALWAYS wondered this myself
As have I......
pierrethomasfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Haha okay glad I'm not the only one and was hoping people would understand I wasn't wondering to make these myself!

I don't want to give any props to these scammers but it's amazing to me how well done they are now. It's almost made me stop buying patches completely...
Old 02-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackg1980 View Post
It's very much worth it to scammers, sometimes a few hundred more. Saw a babe Ruth change from a one color to a two color and the price went from 200$- 800$. People make a living doing this so it's got to be more then a couple bucks.

Yeah I understand that! There is definitely some money to be made and unfortunately not everyone understands just how many fakes there are so scammers can keep selling them pretty easily.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've thought about making a few for my own PC, but from cards that never were issued game used. Doesn't seem hard. Take any two of the same card, one of those thick filler card, and cut out a box in the filler card very big, and smaller on one of the other cards. Insert swatch, glue together.
MeteoriteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King23dog View Post
Haha okay glad I'm not the only one and was hoping people would understand I wasn't wondering to make these myself!

I don't want to give any props to these scammers but it's amazing to me how well done they are now. It's almost made me stop buying patches completely...
im glad the guy i collect doesnt have new cards out so i dont have as much of it to deal with
Old 02-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

They put Acetone on the border of the card and it loosens the glue up so you can take the card apart. The patch is put in from the back and then sealed shut.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking View Post
They put Acetone on the border of the card and it loosens the glue up so you can take the card apart. The patch is put in from the back and then sealed shut.
They take the whole card apart??

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/dabears1985/a/for-sale
DaBears 1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears 1985 View Post
They take the whole card apart??
For the most part I think yes. Who knows. Something like triple threads that would be the only way to do it. Something like the Gronk in the other thread could possibly be done from the front. I dont think you could get the original piece out thru the front without damaging the card though. There was a link someone shared with me pertaining to hot wheels and that led to another link that showed how it was done. I believe it has been pulled down though.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Superman24742

Youtube or google it

Looking for Bengals and Steve Smith(Panthers)
Superman24742 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

It's not very hard to do, and practice makes perfect. I just wish they'd slice off a finger when trimming their fake patches to insert.

Always looking to trade for Canes.
view my cards for trade @ www.TheCardAlbum.com
The Card Album is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

I don't know where the video is, but on youtube there is a guy who does video box breaks. His name is Chris. His channel might be called Cards Infinity. Anyways, I saw a video a few months ago where he was trying to promote a private card company. He did a sample box, and pulled an Earl Campbell GU patch, and I THINK it was either the entire #3 from the shoulder section of a jersey, or MOST of the #3. He went on to explain that this guy was buying legitimate game-used jerseys from reputable sources and cutting them up to make his own cards. His cards looked pretty damn good too. I was suprised. There was a link to his website in the description of the video, but when I tried to go to the sit and it didn't work =/.

Long story short, it may be pretty simple to maybe even MAKE you very own card with a junky, dime-store hunk of jersey in it. Just an observation.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoCheese View Post
I don't know where the video is, but on youtube there is a guy who does video box breaks. His name is Chris. His channel might be called Cards Infinity. Anyways, I saw a video a few months ago where he was trying to promote a private card company. He did a sample box, and pulled an Earl Campbell GU patch, and I THINK it was either the entire #3 from the shoulder section of a jersey, or MOST of the #3. He went on to explain that this guy was buying legitimate game-used jerseys from reputable sources and cutting them up to make his own cards. His cards looked pretty damn good too. I was suprised. There was a link to his website in the description of the video, but when I tried to go to the sit and it didn't work =/.

Long story short, it may be pretty simple to maybe even MAKE you very own card with a junky, dime-store hunk of jersey in it. Just an observation.
I think you might be referring to StudioU. He is a member here and released a set a little while back. Not sure if his patches were GU or if they were just auto'ed on bought jerseys though.
freethrowtommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrowtommy View Post
I think you might be referring to StudioU. He is a member here and released a set a little while back. Not sure if his patches were GU or if they were just auto'ed on bought jerseys though.
If it was Studio U he just bought autographed mass produced jerseys and cut those up and made patch cards out of them. Used the signed patch to make a 1/1 card and used up the rest of the jersey in cards.

To answer the OP's question certain sets are much easier to fake a patch than others. If you have any Panini (or old Playoff, Leaf etc) jersey cards laying around you'll see just how deep those windows are. You wouldnt even have to pull out the patch, I'm sure you could stick a logo right on top of it and still have room to work. I almost exclusively collect cards from those sets so I have seen a ton of faked cards that way. Any dick with a hat to cut up, or cheap Chinese knock-off jersey can do whatever he wants with them.

Panini knows this is a problem, but all they offer is an after the fact certification. You buy the fake patch card, you pay to send it to them. You pay their fee. And if it is fake they slap a notice over the card saying it was tampered with and ship that back to you.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #18 (permalink)

i made this one myself just to see how people might do this sort of thing...it was the first and only time i've done it and i learned a lot...could easily do it much better next time around if I wanted to....but, even this one turned out pretty good...I could see how people who do this sort of thing could do it so that you couldn't tell it was messed with.

I took the entire card apart by the way and stuck in an NFL logo i got on ebay for $3...to start with the card was a solid color red, which i have several of them...not much lost...whole thing i have maybe $6 in it. Left side looks a little off because its in an old beat up screw down that's scratched.

http://bradshaw44.com/wp/?page_id=12...wppa-photo=293

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com
mindbinge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

I didnt know it was possible to take cards apart and put them back together. How do you do this without messing the card up. Doesnt seem possible.

Rob Gronkowski RC collection 35/36 Any help is appreciated!
wingah is offline   Reply With Quote