Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice on Negotiating

hey guys need some advice on how you guys negotiate, specifically on eBay. i have not had the best luck lately on best offers. how do you go about offering if they have a really high bin? i usually offer what i would consider a good deal for myself first, and then build up from there. should i just start at a price that i wouldn't feel amazing at, but still good enough to feel good about winning the card? i dont feel that i am lowballing but maybe am i just discouraging the seller too early? thanks for any help.
Contenders Needs: Playoff Auto /99, 1/1s
CBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

You could send a message to the seller about how much they want for the card and base whether your offer will intrigue them.
hitman1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

I usually send a message before sending a best offer, also look on here to see if they are a member. Open up some conversation and let them know why you want card at price your offering.
78yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

It depends on the card and how much more they want for it then i want to pay. Sometimes i offer my absolute most....sometimes a middle number....and sometime a low number. All depends on the situation for me.

Also depends on how many offers are already pending.

Rob Gronkowski RC collection 35/36 Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by wingah; 02-18-2013 at 11:51 AM.
wingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Blow them away
Old 02-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlue View Post
hey guys need some advice on how you guys negotiate, specifically on eBay. i have not had the best luck lately on best offers. how do you go about offering if they have a really high bin? i usually offer what i would consider a good deal for myself first, and then build up from there. should i just start at a price that i wouldn't feel amazing at, but still good enough to feel good about winning the card? i dont feel that i am lowballing but maybe am i just discouraging the seller too early? thanks for any help.
offer half of what they're asking for...
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
offer half of what they're asking for...
So you would be offering $150,000 on this?

1995 Bowman's Best 3 Steve McNair Blue Rookie Graded PSA 9 Mint RARE Card | eBay
Old 02-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALVINXLIONSX81 View Post
touche! I meant half of a reasonable price
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

Start real low.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

I always try get a price from the seller before I offer ( here and ebay ).
Daddy91409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

A little lower than market value.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

This isn't an easy question to answer. Since you probably have no history on the seller's tendancies you are going into the offer blind. Some sellers welcome the offer no matter the value (I like to think I am in that crowd.) While others take it as a personal insult to themselves and their family history.

The first offer is really made by the seller, with the asking price. Your first offer is simply the counter. A seller should not take offense anymore than a potential buyer should take offense to the opening price.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where it seems most wear their sensitivity on the outside and wait for a droplet to burst their anger bubble.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

#1. Don't get your panties in a wad.
#2. Offer what you are willing to pay and in the message box tell them that is your highest offer.
#3 If they take it, fine. If not, fine again.

Remember on Ebay and here this rule applies to 95% of buyers and sellers.

Me personally if I have an item on Ebay that is a BIN/OBO here is how I do it.

Item sells at auction for say $100
I list is at BIN/BO at $120-$125
I auto accept $90-$95
I listen to offers $50 and above
I auto reject any offers under $50.

I have zero issues selling stuff here and on Ebay

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

If it's a card that I really want, I always give a very reasonable offer that I am almost always positive is the highest they have seen and probably will see. I include a message to the seller advising that I am going to pull it after x amount of hours and take my money elsewhere. It works almost all of the time.

IMO people that are advising you to start real low may be hurting your chances in obtaining the card. I know I personally just ignore the lowballers if it's a card that I don't mind keeping in my collection so if you don't come off as a serious buyer then you may not even be able to initiate negotiations. I know a lot of people disagree with my school of thought but this is just my p.o.v.

Also like someone else mentioned you should check if the seller is a member on here as that would be ideal. I always google the seller's name and blowout to see if I can get a hit, there may be an easier way of checking but that's the only way I know how to do it.

Good luck in getting the card
Old 02-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
At the end of the day I look at it this way. Your not losing anything. You still have the same amount of money you started with. Nothing wrong with that.
True_MaizeNBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

I usually throw out a reasonable offer slightly below my max and go from there if it's a readily available card. For the tougher ones I give the max right off the bat. Nothing annoys me more then when a seller sits on the offer or lets it expire though. I tend to avoid those sellers in the future.

As a seller, I offer a reasonable BIN for the most part with auto accept and decline as to not waste anyones time (my own or the buyer).. Wish more people would do the same!
Krayzie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

I tend to not negotiate at all but that has alot to do with the fact that I'm not on eBay and deal only here and mainly with great members whom are fair and reliable such as Jon with post 13, one of the best people to deal with on here easily.
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

i tend to offer what i feel what the card is worth usually most EBay'rs are fair if they dont budge move on
Old 02-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

thanks for all the advice guys. i will take it all into consideration in the future when i am offering and hope this thread has helped anyone else!
Contenders Needs: Playoff Auto /99, 1/1s
CBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by matpat21 View Post
If it's a card that I really want, I always give a very reasonable offer that I am almost always positive is the highest they have seen and probably will see. I include a message to the seller advising that I am going to pull it after x amount of hours and take my money elsewhere. It works almost all of the time.
Why add the ultimatum in there? If you don't accept this I'll take my ball and go home? If you did that to me I'd decline it and block you for being a pompous twit.
223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 View Post
Why add the ultimatum in there? If you don't accept this I'll take my ball and go home? If you did that to me I'd decline it and block you for being a pompous twit.
I get the gist of what he's saying and can relate. While I don't provide a note with my offer, there's no reason to hold someone's money (in this case his offer) hostage for 48 hours. If uninterested politely decline or counter so the buyer can move on or up the ante.
Krayzie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 View Post
Then block me now, I swear you can't post anything on the forums these days without people trying to start things with you, it's really getting annoying on here with people like you. I just don't get all of the drama lately, when did this place start filling up with 15 year old girls anyways? Someone asked for some insight so I gave mine and I get attacked by another member who does not add any value to the thread at all other than BS.

If I make a $500 offer on a card, I will usually let the seller know that my offer will be retracted in x amount of time which I feel is better than taking them by surprise and just retracting. I don't like having that much money tied up, waiting on someone in case something else comes up, last time I did this I offered more than what the exact card with a different serial number sold for so it's not like I am low balling them. It's the way that I operate so block me now........matpat21

Last edited by matpat21; 02-18-2013 at 04:22 PM.
matpat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayzie83 View Post
I get the gist of what he's saying and can relate. While I don't provide a note with my offer, there's no reason to hold someone's money (in this case his offer) hostage for 48 hours. If uninterested politely decline or counter so the buyer can move on or up the ante.
I agree 100%. As a seller, I always respond as soon as possible if a potential buyer makes an offer.
As a buyer- take this exact moment for instance- I have 2 different offers on 2 different cards, with 2 different sellers that I have been having to re-offer for the past 2 weeks because the seller lets them expire. It is driving me crazy. He/she hasn't responded 1 time (either card) in almost 2 weeks.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
get them to tell you a price first, then negotiate
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALVINXLIONSX81 View Post
Haha holy crap
pierrethomasfan is offline   Reply With Quote