Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Default Is my '92 Favre worthless because of GEM ELITE grading?

I collect Favre (and now Rodgers).. My Rodgers collection is small and I am always looking so PM me if you have any nice cards of him..

Anyways, my Favre collection is huge, from Starting Lineups, cards, signed magazines and helmets, etc.. Pretty much every rookie card. Many years ago, I purchased a '92 Stadium Club Favre off of Ebay. (Don't remember what I paid, and I don't even know the value of this card now because I havent checked in a few years.. Well, I thought this was my prized card because it was graded a 10 by Gem Elite grading .The card does look great though, but now I read somewhere that Gem is a scam grading company. Is it possible to get it re-graded (don't know if BGS or PSA will regrade)

Should I pull this out of the Gem case that it is in or just leave it alone. I don't know exactly what Gem does to the cards (trimming, etc).. And although, I love the card for what it is, of course I still want it to be valuable.. Thanks for your tips!!

And my other question is WHY is the '91 true rookie, even with the name mispelled worth less than this one??
<BR>
khalz75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

crack it and send it off to PSA if you are not satisfied with it...worst case you might get a 9.

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com
mindbinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Crack it. It's not worthless of course - but the fact that it's gem graded is worthless - that adds no premium to it.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbinge View Post
crack it and send it off to PSA if you are not satisfied with it...worst case you might get a 9.
There are many worst cases then that, and due to the back top corner, the best case is a 9, likely an 8, if not trimmed.

It would be worth more raw then slabbed in that case, but you might get someone to pay more on eBay.
MeteoriteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just sold mine raw for $80 so id say crack it and keep it raw or send it away if it really is mint
KEARYCOLBERT83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

The 1992 is from the high series. These cards had a very short shelf life and are considered rare.
MeteoriteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sweet card. I'd love to see more pics of your collection!

To be honest you might be able to dupe someone into thinking it's a 10 (not that you would) and you'd get a premium, but most people 'in the hobby' know that Gem Grading is poop. Doesn't mean the card is worthless, but nowhere near a PSA 10 or BGS 10 value. As others mentioned if you feel it's mint, it's worth regrading. If it was me, I'd crack it and put it in a thick magnet but I'm not that into graded cards. IMO that's Favre's best card... aside from autos of course. Beauty!
TheHelmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Great advice, thanks everyone who replied! I think I might crack it later and take a better look! GEM CAN KMA! I was duped into thinking I had a pristine card when I bought it! lol Oh well, I have learned my lesson, and the people on this forum rock! Meeting some great people on here!!

To TheHelmet : We are practically neighbors! I am by Antioch IL. Are there any card shops up this way besides the one in Waukegan? I ran to every Walmart between Round Lake, Antioch, and Waukegan looking for Blasters the day I pulled the RG3 Magic Auto. Last 4 Blasters in the area, found them at the Waukegan one.

If its Packers, I collect it. I am in the process of getting all of my collection on photobook, I will get all my Favre stuff up there soon, but here is the link to what I have uploaded so far of my recent hits!

khalz75 on Photobucket | Photobucket
khalz75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

It's probably trimmed
JoshHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote