Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default LCS experience

Sorry, I didn't know where to put this and since I mostly collect Football, I thought I'd post it here.

I live in the Northern Virginia area fairly close to the Fantastic Store. I was getting my haircut in another area and thought I would check out the competitor and see what they had. I walk in and they greeted me and asked if they could help with anything. They told me that they're in the middle of restocking. I think they were trying to explain why they had nothing in their display cases.

I said fine. I told them I needed some more top loaders they said they had plenty of that. I pick up a set of top loaders. I go to where the football cards are and they show me the boxes which were nearly twice the price that I'm used to. I tell them that I'm probably looking for packs and not boxes. Then I go to their packs and see their prices. Topps Magic for $6.65, Contenders for $10. Ouch.

I shouldn't have been surprised considering the cost of the boxes but I was. They asked me If I wanted any. I told them they were quite a bit more expensive and I wasn't interested. At that point it got weird.

The employee tried to justify the costs because they have the best pulls. I told them that the store I usually buy packs from has them considerably cheaper. They asked me where I usually go and I told them the Fantastic Store. First they acted like they didn't know where it was so I told them they're in Chantilly. They proceeded to tell me that the Fantastic Store searches their cases for the case hit and sells the other boxes. I told them thats a little strange since they don't really sell singles. He argued with me that they do. I told him that I buy packs from them all the time and have pulled auto's and patch cards. (I also have pulled 1/1 prizm finites from 2 of their boxes but I didn't mention that). He continued to go on while I put back the toploaders I was intending on buying and just left as he was offering to sell me some case hit Lebron James card.

It felt like I was buying a used car from the guy and I left the store wondering WTF just happened.

I won't be going back to the place.

Are your LCS's this bad? Is there a way to search for a case hit without opening box after box?

I just felt like these guys were lying to me to buy some over priced packs. Sad...

Thanks for reading!
My Pogoplug Bucket: http://ppl.ug/M_eeh-V4TY0/
pitterchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

A slimy cardshop owner? Say it ain't so!

(Not saying all are slimy, but most are)
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madbacker View Post

I guess its a common practice then...
Old 03-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Total opposite of my LCS. She actually tells me to check out other card shops in the area. And she's pretty chill
AKHMERICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKHMERICA View Post
Total opposite of my LCS. She actually tells me to check out other card shops in the area. And she's pretty chill
I wish we had better options in my area. Feel very lucky
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

my lcs is old and has anything older than a year at half off and she has a bunch of stuff from 98 to present so ive been opening older stuff as of late!!! but she charges a penny for a sleeve and a dime for a toploader which has always chapped me even when i bought a case of cards last year she charged me!!!! cant win them all
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

My LCS is great. Very kind guy who always hold contest and ticket drawings, gave away three 400 Ct boxes of 1987 Donruss Baseball to my little brother (80s and 90s are junk, but he didn't know that and was ecstatic). Prices in the LCS will always be at least a tad pricey because this is how these guys make a living. I'll occasionally buy a box, but I mostly buy boxes online and singles and supplies at the LCS.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

I always chat with my LCS guy. Really good guy who gives me some nice deals.
sunsfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKHMERICA View Post
No duh she tells you that, the other one is in Orem lol
Oilngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have been to a few hobby shops and only 2 times I have had a bad experience. The other shops I have been to were amazing my favorites are
Baseball 17 in Surfside, SC
Knarf & Kram sports in Myrtle Beach SC (owner was helpful even got a sealed box and opened it so I could get some fresh packs)
Cards at the Cages in Greensboro, NC (the owner was very helpful toploaded all my #d cards, autos,and relics)

Saved for THE National in Chicago- $300.02
Truemountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilngo View Post
No duh she tells you that, the other one is in Orem lol
Not true! There's House of Cards and Sportabilia near Salt Lake But yes the one in Orem is way too out of the way lol. Went there once a few months ago. Couldn't make it to the show yesterday sadly, too far.
AKHMERICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Planet Collectibles in Florence KY is a great place. The owner uses all of his profits to fund his mission trips, and is just a stand-up guy.

he shuffles everything upon opening boxes to give everybody the same odds. the prices can be high sometimes, but still a fun experience.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

I've only been to one card shop in my area and it is great the owners are very nice and helpful
broncofan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

and these shop keepers wonder why we order from cardsinfinity or blowout.
jumbogorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #15 (permalink)

You probably pissed them off just by mentioning the Fantastic Store name pretty sure they know who they are. My LCS and only LCS has there items a little bit overpriced but the dudes are cool as heck and thats why I keep going back.
LARIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARIOS View Post
You probably pissed them off just by mentioning the Fantastic Store name pretty sure they know who they are. My LCS and only LCS has there items a little bit overpriced but the dudes are cool as heck and thats why I keep going back.
LOL, they asked me where I went. So I told them. I didn't get the feeling that they were yelling at me but they were yelling at each other. The "Hard Sale" tactic really lost my business.

I guess we're lucky in the Washington DC area, we have many options. Most are bad but I haven't tried the ones in Maryland yet.

Thanks for the post
Old 03-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madbacker View Post

Hey man, I see your back from a little vacation!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

I live in the area, which store this was? I went into a store in Annandale before TFS opened and the guy said he has the best pulls in the country and pulled out some beat up Beckett magazines from about 10 years ago to "prove it"...
2013 Bowman/5 Auto,2013 Tribute WBC Patch, All 1/1's.

Last edited by pigeonsbaseball; 03-04-2013 at 07:48 AM.
pigeonsbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hahaha!! So you finally found store that caused me to start a thread!!

Support your LCS??
TarjetasBéisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitterchi View Post
Sorry, I didn't know where to put this and since I mostly collect Football, I thought I'd post it here.

I live in the Northern Virginia area fairly close to the Fantastic Store. I was getting my haircut in another area and thought I would check out the competitor and see what they had. I walk in and they greeted me and asked if they could help with anything. They told me that they're in the middle of restocking. I think they were trying to explain why they had nothing in their display cases.

I said fine. I told them I needed some more top loaders they said they had plenty of that. I pick up a set of top loaders. I go to where the football cards are and they show me the boxes which were nearly twice the price that I'm used to. I tell them that I'm probably looking for packs and not boxes. Then I go to their packs and see their prices. Topps Magic for $6.65, Contenders for $10. Ouch.

I shouldn't have been surprised considering the cost of the boxes but I was. They asked me If I wanted any. I told them they were quite a bit more expensive and I wasn't interested. At that point it got weird.

The employee tried to justify the costs because they have the best pulls. I told them that the store I usually buy packs from has them considerably cheaper. They asked me where I usually go and I told them the Fantastic Store. First they acted like they didn't know where it was so I told them they're in Chantilly. They proceeded to tell me that the Fantastic Store searches their cases for the case hit and sells the other boxes. I told them thats a little strange since they don't really sell singles. He argued with me that they do. I told him that I buy packs from them all the time and have pulled auto's and patch cards. (I also have pulled 1/1 prizm finites from 2 of their boxes but I didn't mention that). He continued to go on while I put back the toploaders I was intending on buying and just left as he was offering to sell me some case hit Lebron James card.

It felt like I was buying a used car from the guy and I left the store wondering WTF just happened.

I won't be going back to the place.

Are your LCS's this bad? Is there a way to search for a case hit without opening box after box?

I just felt like these guys were lying to me to buy some over priced packs. Sad...

Thanks for reading!
Sounds like the one in Annandale.
antrodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #21 (permalink)

business is probably pretty bad so it brings out the worst in people. The Collectibles market is way down compared to what it was before the recession
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonsbaseball View Post
I live in the area, which store this was? I went into a store in Annandale before TFS opened and the guy said he has the best pulls in the country and pulled out some beat up Beckett magazines from about 10 years ago to "prove it"...
Its the one in Annandale... Guess they have a reputation.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

You should try the House of Cards in Silver Spring Maryland they are great with friendly service and great deals...
lionheart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheart21 View Post
You should try the House of Cards in Silver Spring Maryland they are great with friendly service and great deals...
I used to go there when I lived in MD. They always had a pretty good selection.
antrodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

down here in florida i have to go over an hour an a half for a true LCS but the place i buy boxes is 20 minutes down the road it is phyisically impossible for any store online or not to beat there prices ill bet on it. he only sells supplies and boxes. but there isnt a shop ive heard of that has his prices. i was paying 65 a box for 2012 HOBBY chrome up untill mid december when he ran out and wouldnt order any more.
JonMead is offline   Reply With Quote