Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #26 (permalink)

I find it strange people desire a player to have touched their card. I hope we dont start getting cards as inserts, 'touched by...' lol
MeteoriteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoriteGuy View Post
I find it strange people desire a player to have touched their card. I hope we dont start getting cards as inserts, 'touched by...' lol
They already have; the handprint cards.
antrodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #28 (permalink)

No problem with sticker autos. Seems the panini stickers , the autos really look good on them. Nice bright blue look. Some players sign much nicer on stickers with better flow, when they have to keep auto smaller.
To me it's all about how auto looks. If it looks great on sticker or card. Doesn't matter. I hate thin wispy, skip autos. Harper autos on sticker seem better compared to his mostly bad on card autos.
Player touches the stickers, so to me I don't get the well he touched my card. Big deal. I just want nice looking auto.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #29 (permalink)

The sticker makes the card look cheap. It was slapped on there after the original card was printed. The card isn't an auto, the sticker is an auto -- I can slap the same sticker on my football. Does that raise it's value? Not as much as if Luck signed my football.
Jagsfansunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoriteGuy View Post
I find that justification a bit creepy as well, to be honest. Makes no difference to me if the player touched the card. Sticker autos are fine by me.

It's a different story when you get memorabilia signed in person, as that is an actual experience when you see the player handle and sign the item.
jeg2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen View Post
been seeing a ton of hate posts over the past years about sticker autos . Just want to know why theres a hate on them ...

some cards with sticker autos are perfectly placed to complement the design

i understand cut off signatures on stickers but there are autos that are also cut off with on card autos .

just want to see the thoughts and try to get a better understanding on why theres some hate on it

fire away ....
if panini went went back to the early 2000's and used those types of stickers it would be alot nicer, even though it wasn't on card it was alot more attractive
Old 03-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #32 (permalink)

If I slap an Andrew luck sticker auto onto my refrigerator, does that mean Andrew Luck signed my refrigerator? No.

I collect signed sports cards of standard size, not autographs on stickers slapped to a sports card

Granted, I don't mind sticker autos on cards I plan to flip. There are enough people out there who don't care about stickers to buy them.

Last edited by hermanotarjeta; 03-04-2013 at 07:55 PM.
hermanotarjeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #33 (permalink)

I've never really had a problem with sticker autos. On card just looks cleaner.
Seanathan297 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
If I slap an Andrew luck sticker auto onto my refrigerator, does that mean Andrew Luck signed my refrigerator? No.

I collect signed sports cards of standard size, not autographs on stickers slapped to a sports card

Granted, I don't mind sticker autos on cards I plan to flip. There are enough people out there who don't care about stickers to buy them.
Now there's an idea! Andrew Luck signed (sticker) refrigerator 1/1.

It would be a redemption of course.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #35 (permalink)

#1 - It flat out looks better. And for the money we pay, we should expect better looking cards.

#2 - I want the player to actually sign the memorabilia that I am purchasing. Dont see many helmets or jerseys with sticker autos right?

I understand its a neccessary part of the hobby and I think they are fine. Cool if you like em, but I rather pay more and get what I really want!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #36 (permalink)

Here's why I hate stickers: How much is the auto itself worth? How much is the card itself worth? If you know this then it is simple addition. For example, if so-and-so's auto is worth $50 and it's stuck to a $2 card, it should be worth $52. Conversely, if I peeled the sticker off and reapplied it to a tube of Preparation H, I should have a $50 tube of butt cream.

It's a sticker. On a card. They are two separate items.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grza View Post
#1 - It flat out looks better. And for the money we pay, we should expect better looking cards.

#2 - I want the player to actually sign the memorabilia that I am purchasing. Dont see many helmets or jerseys with sticker autos right?

I understand its a neccessary part of the hobby and I think they are fine. Cool if you like em, but I rather pay more and get what I really want!
Nobody would buy memorabilia with sticker autos. Card companies have a monopoly so we have no choice.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #38 (permalink)

- autos running off the sticker
- different sticker designs on multi-auto cards
- the WRONG sticker placed on cards
- upside-down stickers
- crooked stickers
- autos that look terrible due to being squeezed in a small space (ex. Dwight Gooden)
- peeling stickers
- the player never having actually held the card
- large spaces for autos with tiny stickers (2006 topps had some of these)
- calling it an "autgraphed card" which is technically not correct

shall I go on?
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #39 (permalink)

I don't really care that much. I think the main thing is that on-card just looks better.
starfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #40 (permalink)

On card autos are cool mainly because the athletes ACTUALLY signed the cards... Not just a stack of lame stickers that the card companies just slap on the cards... Plus the cut off autos really make me upset... I HATE them with a passion...
superynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #41 (permalink)

I hate them because they are symbolic of the laziness and poor planning that almost all of the manufacturers have these days. Plan your products sooner, get the cards made months before you do now and send them out to be signed.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I hate them because they are symbolic of the laziness and poor planning that almost all of the manufacturers have these days. Plan your products sooner, get the cards made months before you do now and send them out to be signed.
That's one thing is Upper Deck is pretty good at. I've seen some pictures of some of the guys at the combine signing their SP Authentic cards already.
rmw10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #43 (permalink)

For me, I'd almost pay double for an on-card auto. When I buy autos though, I'll always look for the best, boldest, BIGGEST one on-card. If you choose any player, 99% of the time their on-card auto will be larger than their sticker autos. My most recent example is a comparison of a Casey Hayward SPA Auto RC vs his Contenders sticker. It's more than 2x the size.

If I met a player at a card show and paid my $100 for his auto, just to find out that he had signed 1,000 stickers before the show and he was just attaching them to all of his items... I'd me pissed.
TheHelmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #44 (permalink)

As long as the sticker is large enough for the signature, I don't mind.

I think some players make a point of dinging the cards up when they sign.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
- upside-down stickers
- crooked stickers
- autos that look terrible due to being squeezed in a small space (ex. Dwight Gooden)
- peeling stickers

shall I go on?
I'll continue...

- bubbles under stickers
- Cards that are supposed to have sticker autos but don't (read about this with a 1/1)
- Cards that have sticker autos but shouldn't (same story as above, just the other end of it)
- Stickers removed from low end hits and reapplied to high end super mojo patches

I'm sure there's more. anyone care to add to the list?
Don't ask me for my best price. You give me your best offer

Last edited by CarolinaGuy; 03-05-2013 at 08:08 AM. Reason: That whole typing thing really kicks my butt
CarolinaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #46 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
- upside-down stickers
- crooked stickers
- peeling stickers

shall I go on?

Most of your points, point to QUALITY CONTROL ISSUES not them as being sticker autos

issues with running off stickers and large spaces, doesnt it happen to on card autos as well? card companies provide big space for players to sign and they still sign on the edge with cut off autos

only thing i see on most answers of the rest is the thought of on card autos make them more closer to player who signed . Basically the issue seems to boil down to "THE FEELING" . oversight and negligence of Quality Control just exagerates the sticker unwantedness.

gotcha all ...
skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #47 (permalink)

Some stickers look ok . But on card is much nicer and just really stands out . Also stickers have a better chance of getting taken off and put on another card. Also some people have removed the auto and re signed it or even placed on another card with a forged sig.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelmutt View Post
For me, I'd almost pay double for an on-card auto. When I buy autos though, I'll always look for the best, boldest, BIGGEST one on-card. If you choose any player, 99% of the time their on-card auto will be larger than their sticker autos. My most recent example is a comparison of a Casey Hayward SPA Auto RC vs his Contenders sticker. It's more than 2x the size.

If I met a player at a card show and paid my $100 for his auto, just to find out that he had signed 1,000 stickers before the show and he was just attaching them to all of his items... I'd me pissed.

agreed....On card auto's are bigger. Often, the sticker auto is not an accurate representation of the signer's true signature size.....just my opinion.

just compare Luck's sticker auto's to his on card auto's----which would you rather have?
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #49 (permalink)

I don't think so that people would hate auto stickers or car stickers.. Because, there are different car stickers like, funny car stickers, funny bumper stickers etc..

clear vinyl stickers
janny is offline   Reply With Quote