Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Default Why do people hate Sticker Autos ?

been seeing a ton of hate posts over the past years about sticker autos . Just want to know why theres a hate on them ...

some cards with sticker autos are perfectly placed to complement the design

i understand cut off signatures on stickers but there are autos that are also cut off with on card autos .

just want to see the thoughts and try to get a better understanding on why theres some hate on it

fire away ....
skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

I prefer on card autos because the player actually touches the card and I just think they look better. Hope this helps
Old 03-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I personally just don't think it looks as clean. However, I realize the logistics of getting every card on-card, so I don't blame them.
rmw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't care really. Only time they bug me is when the auto goes off of the sticker.
Zacy87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

You mentioned one reason I prefer on card autos: the signature doesn't fit on the sticker.
My biggest dislike is that the idea behind the auto is that the player (or signer) actually held the item in their hand. Not that I won't buy sticker autos, but I place a premium on on card autos.
PAYING VERY HANDSOMELY FOR THE "O" IN THE 2009 DREW BLEDSOE BY THE LETTER SET. WILL PAY $25 FINDERS FEE IF YOU DIRECT ME TO ONE AND I AM ABLE TO MAKE A DEAL (eBay and COMC listings NOT APPLICABLE/REDEEMABLE)
ssbledsoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to wheeler281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacy87 View Post
I don't care really. Only time they bug me is when the auto goes off of the sticker.
agreed.......
"He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." -QB John Elway On Jack Lambert(1983)
wheeler281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Imagine going to see a live football game, one of your favorite players is greeting fans and signing autographs after the game. What if you gave him a football to sign and he just got out a sheet of stickers that had his auto on it and placed one on your ball? It just not the same...
NorwayAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Maybe it's just me, but the way I view it is I collect autographed cards, not stickers. I want an actual autographed card, not an autographed sticker placed on a card. That doesn't mean I don't have sticker autographs in my collection, but I prefer on card.

Plus I hate when the autograph gets cut off.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't mind a lot of sticker autos if it looks good with the card design.. like with Triple Threads.

One thing I HATE is when companies use different stickers on a single multi-signed card.. like two will be clear stickers and the third is a foil sticker.
NewAgeHardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwayAllDay View Post
Imagine going to see a live football game, one of your favorite players is greeting fans and signing autographs after the game. What if you gave him a football to sign and he just got out a sheet of stickers that had his auto on it and placed one on your ball? It just not the same...
if thats your case do you show less love for cut autos as well?
skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

less personal id take a simple demarcus ware on card before i took a beware of D-Ware demarcus ware 94 inscribed sticker auto
JonMead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen View Post
absolutely.
NorwayAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
For the most part, I hate cut autos. Unless the signer is deceased, there's no need for them. It's just cheap and lazy.
antrodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

I dont hate stickers, but it is this late in the season and they cant get on-cards? I thought topps and panini were moving towards on-cards more! Supreme should at least have a mix of on-cards by now!

My peeve is why cant we have in-game action photos of the players by now? Some do like contenders, but then supreme still had some rookie premier shots!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to wheeler281

Quote:
Still not the same if on card. Not like the athlete is right there. I wish it equated to lower value however sticker has very minimal impact on demand so they continue to do it. Seeing how I am not getting and IP auto I do not care one way or the other. Like the event worn game worn debate.
"He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." -QB John Elway On Jack Lambert(1983)
wheeler281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

I don't mind them aswell aslong as they look nice. The plain clear plastic sticker autos that they use the most look cheap to me.
Seahawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacy87 View Post
I'm the same way.

People just want to complain about something in the industry.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Oddly, a card signed like that would actually be worth less because it wasn't "certified".
antrodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
absolutely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antrodemus View Post
For the most part, I hate cut autos. Unless the signer is deceased, there's no need for them. It's just cheap and lazy.
My sentiments....
matt roberson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

On card allows for bigger, flowing auto's. It is generally more aesthetically pleasing as well, often the sticker looks out of place.
Mostly about autograph quality for me, though.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #21 (permalink)

I have no problem with sticker autos either. I also think its funny when they put sticker autos on cards of players who really dont get along. Favre/Rodgers. Kobe/Shaq.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #22 (permalink)

Autos running off labels as people have mentioned, but also because many cards look like they just had a sticker slapped on. The sticker isn't built well into the design of the card.
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #23 (permalink)

I would rather have an on card autograph because they look better (to me) than a sticker autograph. If the only option is a sticker autograph then I don't mind owning one. I just prefer on card autos more.
bigcwd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:

but even with that it would still be handled a lot more by that player. Remember the player signs the sheets of stickers and its the people or machines in production that place the stickers on the cards. Chances are the player that is signing for that card won't even have touched or seen what that card looks like
duwal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

I don't mind them, with the exception of press pass foil ones. Most however are clear and as long as the signature is 99% on it, they don't bug me. I do understand the need for them also. You send cards to 100 people, you are NOT going to get them all back in time, and likely won't get them all back ever.
MeteoriteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote