Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #26 (permalink)

Yeah, a local shop here was charging $150 for a box of chrome. Owner told me initially $130 over the phone on the way. 5 minutes after I get there he told me $150! I walked out and never went back.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #27 (permalink)

My LCS is just like that, highly overpriced and unfriendly. It's the only one around so there's no competition and no reason for them to give anyone a break. I never go there. I either buy retail, online or go without.
antrodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmtinHawaii View Post
How can you guys COMPLAIN!!! Try and buy boxes in HAWAII!!! Just recently a lcs was selling a box of 2012 Contenders for $159.00!!! And packs of 2012 Elite can run you $10.00. Boxes Like 2012 Spa go for like $115.00 and up. You guys make me LMAO!!! LoL. And think about the COST of LIVING here in Hawaii! Gas right now is around $4.30 for regular and thats here on Honolulu the outer islands are anywhere from .30-.50 cents more! Plus we hardly get any of those BIG HITS like you guys! I would LOVE to pay your LCS prices!!! Anyone want to host a card collector???

Oh yeah I forgot to add that if I have to order from online since Hawaii is NOT apart of the lower 48 states places like BO and the Hobby Box charges shipping no matter how much I spend. But it is still cheaper ONLY if I buy more than 2 boxes.
LOL Are you serious?? You want sympathy because you live in paradise and it costs a little more?? Is someone forcing you to live in Hawaii?? I will trade you and you can come live in Nebraska anytime you want.

Photobucket: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v480/lors/Football%20Cards/
lionsfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #29 (permalink)

The shop I go to has awesome prices compared to most I see people on here paying at their LCS. $250 for Retro, $200 for Valor, $100 for crown, limited, $125 on authentic. And always comes off $5-$15 on boxes when I buy. Sell your boxes cheaper = repeat customers is what he told me and I haven't been to the other 2 in my area bc of that.

Updated bucket: http://s41.photobucket.com/user/whodatnation9/library/
WhoDatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #30 (permalink)

The problem with having a card shop is the expenses. Rent, Power, employees, ect. Plus six bucks cant even by a happy meal these days. Maybe a couple of packs of 90 donruss. Sorry bro.
Mets/Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
How can you guys COMPLAIN!!! Try and buy boxes in HAWAII!!! Just recently a lcs was selling a box of 2012 Contenders for $159.00!!! And packs of 2012 Elite can run you $10.00. Boxes Like 2012 Spa go for like $115.00 and up. You guys make me LMAO!!! LoL. And think about the COST of LIVING here in Hawaii! Gas right now is around $4.30 for regular and thats here on Honolulu the outer islands are anywhere from .30-.50 cents more! Plus we hardly get any of those BIG HITS like you guys! I would LOVE to pay your LCS prices!!! Anyone want to host a card collector???

Oh yeah I forgot to add that if I have to order from online since Hawaii is NOT apart of the lower 48 states places like BO and the Hobby Box charges shipping no matter how much I spend. But it is still cheaper ONLY if I buy more than 2 boxes.
Duh! Big Macs cost more too. Everything has to be shipped to Hawaii, food, clothing, cat litter, even trading cards. Those costs get passed down to the consumer.
antrodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:

Ben there , lived Oahu for 7 years , I used the Military to save on shipping and the exchange start to get retail and some hobby in them , But it is tough and expensive there for sure .
feel for you friend .
LikeLike Hwy and the fresh waterfalls , takes your mind of the expense lol

But Blowout hands down has the best prices ,offers and doesn't search cases or boxes at all
gingerscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antrodemus View Post
My LCS is just like that, highly overpriced and unfriendly. It's the only one around so there's no competition and no reason for them to give anyone a break. I never go there. I either buy retail, online or go without.
Yup - this exactly - with the notable addition of the owner having a creepy messed-up eye and bragging constanly about his hit sales on eBay which I now realize is the probable result of searching. Total crook/scumbag. I have noticed that his "open" flag (yes, a flag) has been flying less frequently of late. Useless even for supplies - as he never had them in inventory.
"You have to break by the case" Zammos1, 3:16
hairysasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

So glad I am not stationed there anymore. The LCS were ridiculous! I have felt your pain! I went to one right before I moved back to the mainland and the guy was charing 150 for 2011 playbook. You can get them online for 60-90 dollars. He would not budge a dollar.
Quote:

hxcdavidjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #35 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:

I still have 5 inches of snow on my lawn. Do you?
Old 03-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff152380 View Post
i charge 6 on elite packs
$6 is very reasonable. Even if you sell all 20 packs at $6 each, you are only making $30 on the entire box. The shop charging $9/pack is extremely high though.

People want a shop to match blowouts prices. But shops are getting you the product the same day you pay. You don't have to wait 2-3 days to receive an item. You also get to pick the box that you want. Those are two thingsg blowout can't offer unless you live in their area.

And as far as tax goes, its the law. Nothing a LCS can do about it. You pay tax on pretty much everything else (groceries, clothing, etc), why should cards be any different? Do you go into Wal-Mart and cry when they charge you tax too?
jr24ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24ai3 View Post
$6 is very reasonable. Even if you sell all 20 packs at $6 each, you are only making $30 on the entire box. The shop charging $9/pack is extremely high though.

People want a shop to match blowouts prices. But shops are getting you the product the same day you pay. You don't have to wait 2-3 days to receive an item. You also get to pick the box that you want. Those are two thingsg blowout can't offer unless you live in their area.

And as far as tax goes, its the law. Nothing a LCS can do about it. You pay tax on pretty much everything else (groceries, clothing, etc), why should cards be any different? Do you go into Wal-Mart and cry when they charge you tax too?
1. I would assume shops get elite for much cheaper than 90 (BO charging 97 right now, if they can make a profit at 97, then they must acquire them significantly below 90).
2. On the tax issue, my LCS just figures it into the price (my LCS is rather expensive, forget blowoutcards prices their but it's ok once in a while if I need an immediate fix). For a person with only 6 bucks in there pocket, you would have to be a douche not to sell it to them for that and just pay the tax yourself. Its not like the government cares who is paying the tax, the customer or the business, they just want the money.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/drew306
drew306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:

I will take the beautiful weather and pay a little bit extra for cards anytime!
Old 03-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #39 (permalink)

I have been making a "tour of Texas" over the past few months and have a few more to make this month and in May. So far I have hit shops in Amarillo, Dallas/Ft. Worth, and Austin. When I am done I am going to write an article on them all including some of their prices. So far all that I have been to have been really well priced and nothing out of line at all. Now, some are a little better priced but nothing that just stands out. I have been basing pricing on 2012 Bowman Draft as that has been the common product I have bought at all of the shops. The 5 shops that I have went to had Bowman Draft hobby boxes for 65, 65, 70, 75, 75. With single packs usually being $3.50 or 3/$10. The shops that had the cheaper prices did not have the tax figured in and the ones with the higher prices already had it included. So, at the end of the day it all averages out.
Doublexthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
You want an AWESOME lcs hit mine up(which i havent been to in 6 months) everything is full price MSRP except 2010 and back is 20%off and packs are broken up like this if the box msrp's at 100 bucks and has 10 packs 10 bucks a pack. She charges full msrp or it will sit on her shelf and rot(her shelves are full) and she charges for box toppers that come in cases. if you walk back and get a new box to buy packs out of she will knock you down to get the pack of kobe cards! And here is the last one that tops everything so far. A little girl bought a kobe pack from the shop owner and got an auto in it. Surprise the owner took it back. So some of you guys have it made with nice lcs's and some of us are stuck with this is why we dont open much
Lol what do u mean she took it back? I hope u walked over to the shop owner and took it right back to the little girl that crap would not stand with me!
Chrisp253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
You want an AWESOME lcs hit mine up(which i havent been to in 6 months) everything is full price MSRP except 2010 and back is 20%off and packs are broken up like this if the box msrp's at 100 bucks and has 10 packs 10 bucks a pack. She charges full msrp or it will sit on her shelf and rot(her shelves are full) and she charges for box toppers that come in cases. if you walk back and get a new box to buy packs out of she will knock you down to get the pack of kobe cards! And here is the last one that tops everything so far. A little girl bought a kobe pack from the shop owner and got an auto in it. Surprise the owner took it back. So some of you guys have it made with nice lcs's and some of us are stuck with this is why we dont open much
I had to do a double take when reading this. So the girl buys a pack of cards and gets an auto and the shop owner takes it back? Did you see this happen or is this some kind of rumor? That makes absolutely no sense and if I had seen that happen I would have slugged the store owner or at least called the cops for theft. Are you sure that the girl just didn't open the Kobe pack without permission and get the card? Based on what you are saying it sounds like this store owner is obsessed with box toppers and wants to charge everyone for them. Obviously if a little girl opened up a pretty much worthless box topper pack and pulled a Kobe the owner still shouldn't have taken it away, but at least that is not just outright theft on the part of the owner of the business, then its still just incredibly sleazy business practices....

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #42 (permalink)

ok, ill give you my house in ohio and i'll take yours in hawaii since its such a drag, if you don't like it...MOVE...you have no reason to complain

Quote:

bkovach06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #43 (permalink)

I want to stick up for shops for part of this and stick up for the customers too...
Its easy to be greedy if you are the only shop in town, I try to keep the prices as low as possible to keep in business...i know what its like being the customer and comparing the prices in the shop to online.... I was the guy on the other side of the counter for over 20 years..... now I am the guy ordering and selling the products.... When you are only allocated a certain amount and have to reach to the 2nd hand distributors.... you can make 10-20 a box if your lucky.... To the guy complaining about boxes of Chrome being 150... I can tell you its cost the 130 from distributors and that is not including the shipping..... now look at what blowout sells it for.... they can be cheaper then my distributors.... I have quoted prices over the phone only to realize the prices have gone up...... I have sold a lot of baseball topps jumbos this year... its great I was able to get 2 cases direct, I made a few little off that... but the demand was for about 4 cases more so far and ive made $9.00 a box...... try paying your rent and other expenses on that? I love this hobby and enjoy running a shop, but ill never get rich off selling wax...

I 100% love my customers that understand I might be a bit higher then online, but they know they need to support me if they want to have a card shop.....
Old 03-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff152380 View Post
I want to stick up for shops for part of this and stick up for the customers too...
Its easy to be greedy if you are the only shop in town, I try to keep the prices as low as possible to keep in business...i know what its like being the customer and comparing the prices in the shop to online.... I was the guy on the other side of the counter for over 20 years..... now I am the guy ordering and selling the products.... When you are only allocated a certain amount and have to reach to the 2nd hand distributors.... you can make 10-20 a box if your lucky.... To the guy complaining about boxes of Chrome being 150... I can tell you its cost the 130 from distributors and that is not including the shipping..... now look at what blowout sells it for.... they can be cheaper then my distributors.... I have quoted prices over the phone only to realize the prices have gone up...... I have sold a lot of baseball topps jumbos this year... its great I was able to get 2 cases direct, I made a few little off that... but the demand was for about 4 cases more so far and ive made $9.00 a box...... try paying your rent and other expenses on that? I love this hobby and enjoy running a shop, but ill never get rich off selling wax...

I 100% love my customers that understand I might be a bit higher then online, but they know they need to support me if they want to have a card shop.....
My LCS for boxes is a card shop that deals hobby direct with topps and secondary with panini. he makes his money of coins so he doesnt care about cards. i just called for a price quote on chrome and contenders he sold out of the chrome but was at $120 a box. contenders he had to order but was at $125. when panini had MAPP he sold at %5.00 over his cost which is his standard rate. does he make money on the boxes probably not. but he gets them in because loyal customers like me and many others come in and spend a few hundred every time were in. he is the best LCS for a breaker. easy to make money breaking when your getting chrome for $65 a box up until topps sells out.
JonMead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #45 (permalink)
Banned

Read all the comments.
As much as I'd like to support the local business, if your greedy, unfriendly and overpriced your not getting my money.
A card shop 20 mintutes away from me is just a LITTLE bit cheaper but they're extremely cool over there, so they get my business when I'm in town.
Brysond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #46 (permalink)
Banned

i can tell you ive never ordered from blowout. and although this comment might get deleted, with the prices my lcs charges blowout would have to match them to get my business. not being rude but id rather support a local business at his prices then a huge company
Old 03-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #47 (permalink)

Its not easy to open anything when you only allocated 2 cases....you end up paying double to replace in on the shelf....
Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
I still have 5 inches of snow on my lawn. Do you?
Only 5 inches? LUCKY

Our LCS is pretty close to Blowout prices on new product or slightly above, but they're more than fair on trade-in for store credit, you're not waiting for UPS to arrive, and it's fun to bust at the store. Sales tax can be killer, though.

The one thing that will frustrate me some is when a product cools off or even tanks, I don't see a lot of movement back down in prices, but if the product gets hot, there's no problem marking the stuff up right away. Because of this, there's often 3+ year old product sitting around for often a lot more than what you can snag them for online. I understand as a vendor, you don't want to sell below cost, but IMO it's sometimes better to sell for something then to sit on it for years and years.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:50 PM   #49 (permalink)

Card shops are a rip off. Sorry to all the local shops but your overhead is not my problem, I'd rather buy online and save money. Maybe that's just me though?
Frankp2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankp2311 View Post
Card shops are a rip off. Sorry to all the local shops but your overhead is not my problem, I'd rather buy online and save money. Maybe that's just me though?
i have no problem paying more for a local shop then to feed some fat cat CEO at a major company. mom and pop shops were what this country was built on