Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #51 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWIFB View Post
I had to do a double take when reading this. So the girl buys a pack of cards and gets an auto and the shop owner takes it back? Did you see this happen or is this some kind of rumor? That makes absolutely no sense and if I had seen that happen I would have slugged the store owner or at least called the cops for theft. Are you sure that the girl just didn't open the Kobe pack without permission and get the card? Based on what you are saying it sounds like this store owner is obsessed with box toppers and wants to charge everyone for them. Obviously if a little girl opened up a pretty much worthless box topper pack and pulled a Kobe the owner still shouldn't have taken it away, but at least that is not just outright theft on the part of the owner of the business, then its still just incredibly sleazy business practices....
Id love to say "I wasn't their" but I was. And this lcs owner is ridiculous and every couple months I get the instant itch and go back thinkin "it will have changed" and its only gets worse. im not from a big city or anything like that so this is the only card shop I have even ever been in to be honest but id love to be close to rbicru7's shop or an environment like that
Old 03-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankp2311 View Post
Card shops are a rip off. Sorry to all the local shops but your overhead is not my problem, I'd rather buy online and save money. Maybe that's just me though?
You are way off base. Just because someone charges more, doesn't mean they are a ripoff.

I can sell my stuff on ebay cheaper than my LCS can because I have no overhead. Doesn't make me a swell guy and them a ripoff.

It's just business.
HadWayTooMuch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:01 PM   #53 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
Id love to say "I wasn't their" but I was. And this lcs owner is ridiculous and every couple months I get the instant itch and go back thinkin "it will have changed" and its only gets worse. im not from a big city or anything like that so this is the only card shop I have even ever been in to be honest but id love to be close to rbicru7's shop or an environment like that
you were there and didnt slug the owner? that owner shouldve felt what it's like to fly... right through a glass window.
JonMead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #54 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMead View Post
you were there and didnt slug the owner? that owner shouldve felt what it's like to fly... right through a glass window.
the owner is a 75 year old lady
Old 03-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #55 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
the owner is a 75 year old lady
that obviously needs to see the inside of a jail cell. if i was that girl that lady would think i was a sailor in the navy with the language i wouldve told her to get her greedy mitts off of my kobe.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadWayTooMuch View Post
You are way off base. Just because someone charges more, doesn't mean they are a ripoff.

I can sell my stuff on ebay cheaper than my LCS can because I have no overhead. Doesn't make me a swell guy and them a ripoff.

It's just business.
My point is that the world has changed due to the internet and hobby shops who charge high prices are not helping themselves. Not sure why anyone would pay more for something when they can get the same item cheaper from another source (online dealers), and no I don't go to an LCS for conversation.
Frankp2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:06 PM   #57 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
My point is that the world has changed due to the internet and hobby shops who charge high prices are not helping themselves. Not sure why anyone would pay more for something when they can get the same item cheaper from another source (online dealers), and no I don't go to an LCS for conversation.
how about supporting your local economy which creates jobs which in turn increases money spent which creates even more jobs.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:13 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMead View Post
how about supporting your local economy which creates jobs which in turn increases money spent which creates even more jobs.
Yea it sucks but that's the way it is now. I'm not trying to be an a$$, I'm just being honest. There are millions and millions of online shoppers who share my view (many of who are on this site being that it is an internet retailer...ironic) so really no reason to make me a bad guy.
Frankp2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Yea it sucks but that's the way it is now. I'm not trying to be an a$$, I'm just being honest. There are millions and millions of online shoppers who share my view (many of who are on this site being that it is an internet retailer...ironic) so really no reason to make me a bad guy.
Unless my LCS either a can't get it or be doesn't have it in stock blowout will never get a penny from me. Now I'd buy from Chris. J but just to have it broke on video.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #60 (permalink)

The LCS that I managed for a while insisted on 20-30% profit on wax. Funny how they barely ever sold anything. I always gave discounts when I worked because I knew the customer had a ton of other places that were selling cheaper. I eventually quit because they insisted they knew how to run it better than me. They have since lost all of their loyal customers to other shops. haha...idiots.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:25 PM   #61 (permalink)
Banned

I think im just spoiled with my lcs by pricing any way. the employees are clueless on cards but they order the product and only mark it up 5 percent. the best LCS by pricing it seems from hearing about your guy's
Old 03-31-2013, 10:27 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
This is true in some cases but I think sometimes people who buy their wax online forget a few things that only a store can offer:

1. A knowledgeable person to talk to--I get insight into the hobby, advice on selling on ebay, and more from my LCS

2. A trusted source for boxes--you have no idea where that box came from when you buy it from the random seller on ebay. You could be saving $10 on a box that is guaranteed to have crap hits. In the end, that's not a savings at all. All my biggest hits have come from boxes bought at my local store.

3. An ongoing relationship--I buy exclusively from my LCS. He knows me, hooks me up on small discounts (a few bucks), and with free holders

I used to buy online to save a few bucks. To be honest, at the end of the day I think I get more value when I purchase at my LCS. Even though the price might be a few bucks more, the relationship and customer service more than makes up for it.

I know some people have terrible shops or no shops locally and if that's you, I totally get it.

For those who buy online to save a few bucks, I'd just ask you to think about what you're missing out on.
blevins26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brysond View Post
Read all the comments.
As much as I'd like to support the local business, if your greedy, unfriendly and overpriced your not getting my money.
A card shop 20 mintutes away from me is just a LITTLE bit cheaper but they're extremely cool over there, so they get my business when I'm in town.
Is this a place in the Bay Area?
jeg2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #64 (permalink)

I actually found a card shop about 20 minutes from my house here in the Houston area. It's located in Alvin. I went for the first time this weekend. The guy was friendly and you could tell her had a dedicated base of customers.
He gave me a better price on the box I bought than I could have gotten online, and he took a little off at the register without me even asking or presuming that it would happen.
So, not all LCS owners do what you are implying.
Buying large lots of the following:1993 Pacific Triple Folders Gold, 1996 Select Certified Artistís Proof, 1997 Topps Gallery Private Issue, 1998 Collectorís Edge Masters 50 Point, 1999 Prestige SSD Spectrum Gold, 2000 Topps Gallery Private Issue, 2001 Pacific Invincible Blue, 2002 Flair Collection, 2003 Skybox LE Gold Proofs
panamamyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:38 PM   #65 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg2315 View Post
Is this a place in the Bay Area?
Nope on the central coast
Brysond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkovach06 View Post
ok, ill give you my house in ohio and i'll take yours in hawaii since its such a drag, if you don't like it...MOVE...you have no reason to complain
HAHAHAHAHA LMAO!!! I guess I have to move since I said that Hawaii is such a DRAG!!!
Thanks for your MOST knowledgeable insight!!!
EmtinHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:50 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
It still sounds like you are leaving something out here. So you actually saw a customer pay for a pack of cards, open them, and get a kobe auto which the store owner took back? What did you do? What did you say? Where is the little girl's parent in all this? I feel like something still is not adding up... And I really don't get how you would even consider going back if you actually saw the owner steal cards from a customer

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:38 AM   #68 (permalink)

LCS around here blows. Went in to get some top loaders. Saw a box of basketball Prizm. Guess how much? $210!!!
I think Chrome Football was $180.

No thanks!
Sushiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:47 AM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmtinHawaii View Post
HAHAHAHAHA LMAO!!! I guess I have to move since I said that Hawaii is such a DRAG!!!
Thanks for your MOST knowledgeable insight!!!
you want to come visit i have a spare room i'll take you to a couple shows that will make your toes curl up with the bargins