Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Are all hobby shops ridiculously expensive?

The hobby shop in my town is out right ridiculous in my mind.
I wanted a pack of Elite, because I like the look of the hard hats and was hoping for one.
I see that each pack is $9(which I think is a little crazy, but idk all card shops might be like that) and I only had $6. So I say oh well and go to look for cheaper packs.
There wasn't much of a variety, if I remember right the only decent thing
I could afford was a retail pack of chrome at 5.50.
I saw a 2011 pack at 5.99(can't remember what it is) and I told her I wanted that one. She said oh you only have $6, not enough for tax.
Really? I'd say most places where I buy something and come up a little but short theyll just give it to me.
And I imagine not many people are buying cards right now so wouldn't you spot them a couple cents?

My main question is are all card shops over priced like that?
And are card shop owners like that?
Brysond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

my hobby shop only charges $6.50 for a pack of elite
nygiantsfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

My LCS gave me $75 off Fleer Retro today. Usually they have prices at or below BO.
sunsfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Wow, that's a shop that doesn't care about its customers.

My shop is a little higher than some, but they still have elite at 7 a pack when they have it, and he'll do deals if you buy multiples.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

The real question is do you you go into a card shop with $6?
Old 03-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

My lcs never has prices that are expensive like that. The guy there sells below online prices, and they are pretty good deals. I remember getting a box of NT last year and paid $450 for it. Online they were going for $550+
theautographkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

my lcs for packs is fairly decent think elite is 6 bucks, maybe 7. i only go in there when i ave an itch and want to crack some wax. there over priced on boxes.
JonMead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brysond View Post
The hobby shop in my town is out right ridiculous in my mind.
I wanted a pack of Elite, because I like the look of the hard hats and was hoping for one.
I see that each pack is $9(which I think is a little crazy, but idk all card shops might be like that) and I only had $6. So I say oh well and go to look for cheaper packs.
There wasn't much of a variety, if I remember right the only decent thing
I could afford was a retail pack of chrome at 5.50.
I saw a 2011 pack at 5.99(can't remember what it is) and I told her I wanted that one. She said oh you only have $6, not enough for tax.
Really? I'd say most places where I buy something and come up a little but short theyll just give it to me.
And I imagine not many people are buying cards right now so wouldn't you spot them a couple cents?

My main question is are all card shops over priced like that?
And are card shop owners like that?
So you think Walmart would do this if I only had enough for the item and not the tax?

Save up more next time before you go in
armyatc22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

There's only one card shop locally so there prices are kinda high. I've been in there a lot since September and I never get deals.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

High prices here guy marks up 15% and then with tax you are talking alot of extra money when you can go online and get something tax free and free shipping as well.Im all for supporting local business but if I can get the best price for something I usually will do it.Plus the guy never has a sale its always full price which is really a turn off .
tltaylor89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

wow, $6 , must be a young kid , that's rough cheap a$$ shop owner. those elite packs are $5.50 best and even at pricey shop $7 ,he could of gave the kid a great day with the excitement. ( rare opportunity )
As a business owner , $2 to $3 difference or even loss should of been a brush, when in his face is a potential customer long term ,that shop will die shortly with no sales lol
Old 03-31-2013, 03:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

All C's Collectibles in Aurora is my LCS. They charge $30+ over the other local MTG store for booster boxes. They wanted 169.99/box w/o tax for their contenders boxes. I will be sticking to online purchases.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

Not enough for tax? My LCS figures tax into the price, so what you see is what you get. Even then, they're not that expensive.

Sounds like your shop might care more about money than customers.

Edit: Oh, and why are they selling retail Chrome at 5.50?

I'll always respond, whether it's good news or bad news.
TheLastDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

They are ridiculous if only one in area no matter what the product mine bumps it 10-20 bucks a box within a week after release bcuz "oh its sellin well" of course it is it just came out. I think panini topps and upperdeck need to install some kinda max price on these items especially on shops that dont have another within a 20 mile radius
Chrisp253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

My lcs charges at least an average of $10 more per hobby box. Some boxes are even ridiculously overpriced by as much as 50%. I prefer to get deals online.
egforevervlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

How can you guys COMPLAIN!!! Try and buy boxes in HAWAII!!! Just recently a lcs was selling a box of 2012 Contenders for $159.00!!! And packs of 2012 Elite can run you $10.00. Boxes Like 2012 Spa go for like $115.00 and up. You guys make me LMAO!!! LoL. And think about the COST of LIVING here in Hawaii! Gas right now is around $4.30 for regular and thats here on Honolulu the outer islands are anywhere from .30-.50 cents more! Plus we hardly get any of those BIG HITS like you guys! I would LOVE to pay your LCS prices!!! Anyone want to host a card collector???

Oh yeah I forgot to add that if I have to order from online since Hawaii is NOT apart of the lower 48 states places like BO and the Hobby Box charges shipping no matter how much I spend. But it is still cheaper ONLY if I buy more than 2 boxes.

Last edited by EmtinHawaii; 03-31-2013 at 11:51 AM.
EmtinHawaii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #17 (permalink)

My Lcs is sooooo overpriced.
They have 2012 panini black football at $265
They have 2013 topps series 1 at $89
They have 2013 topps series 1 jumbo at $149
It is ridiculous. Only the things they can't sell are reasonably priced.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

i charge 6 on elite packs
Old 03-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #19 (permalink)

You want an AWESOME lcs hit mine up(which i havent been to in 6 months) everything is full price MSRP except 2010 and back is 20%off and packs are broken up like this if the box msrp's at 100 bucks and has 10 packs 10 bucks a pack. She charges full msrp or it will sit on her shelf and rot(her shelves are full) and she charges for box toppers that come in cases. if you walk back and get a new box to buy packs out of she will knock you down to get the pack of kobe cards! And here is the last one that tops everything so far. A little girl bought a kobe pack from the shop owner and got an auto in it. Surprise the owner took it back. So some of you guys have it made with nice lcs's and some of us are stuck with this is why we dont open much
Old 03-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
You want an AWESOME lcs hit mine up(which i havent been to in 6 months) everything is full price MSRP except 2010 and back is 20%off and packs are broken up like this if the box msrp's at 100 bucks and has 10 packs 10 bucks a pack. She charges full msrp or it will sit on her shelf and rot(her shelves are full) and she charges for box toppers that come in cases. if you walk back and get a new box to buy packs out of she will knock you down to get the pack of kobe cards! And here is the last one that tops everything so far. A little girl bought a kobe pack from the shop owner and got an auto in it. Surprise the owner took it back. So some of you guys have it made with nice lcs's and some of us are stuck with this is why we dont open much
Yikes...that is brutal!!

My lcs is a bit overpriced, and rarely cuts much for deals. I might get 5 bucks of so off...just to make math easier if im buying a couple hundred bucks worth of stuff. Materials are outrageous expensive...twice what BO charges...so I onle buy materials there if I am in desperate need..
Old 03-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisp253 View Post
They are ridiculous if only one in area no matter what the product mine bumps it 10-20 bucks a box within a week after release bcuz "oh its sellin well" of course it is it just came out. I think panini topps and upperdeck need to install some kinda max price on these items especially on shops that dont have another within a 20 mile radius
i feel you man im in the same boat, i live in washington, actually i live in auburn/kent i only have one lcs close to me and he never carries the latest stuff and when he does its not worth buying it.
sals_cardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
Wow that's rough. The prices don't seem that bad if its a new product, but she just sounds like a horrible person.
Quigley24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #23 (permalink)

My lcs have same prices as bo. But only thing I don't like is they charge tax. Online stone do't charge tax and sometime free shipping. I alway buy pack from lcs sometime box.
zhiyuchen90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #24 (permalink)

I know of a hobby shop that doesn't update their prices unless they have to order more. Did a Chrome at $75 2 months ago, felt very good about that. However, they also have stuff like 2011 college legends at $130 a box instead of $60.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #25 (permalink)

The shop I go to price matches blowout.

AVG .280 4 HR 40 RBI
metsandweezer is offline   Reply With Quote