Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

FOOTBALL Post your FOOTBALL Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Auburn paid players, altered grades under Gene Chizik

Report: Auburn paid players, altered grades under Gene Chizik

Quote:
Auburn's football program altered grades to ensure eligibility, offered "several thousand dollars" to entice would-be draft picks to return for their senior seasons and knowingly violated NCAA recruiting rules, several ex-Tigers told former New York Times and Sports Illustrated columnist Selena Roberts, whose report appeared on her Web site, Roopstigo.com.

Each of the allegations occurred under coach Gene Chizik, who led Auburn to the 2010 national championship the program's first since 1957 but was fired after last season. He has since been replaced by Gus Malzahn, who served as Chizik's offensive coordinator from 2009-11.

According to three former players, the university changed the grades of as many as nine athletes leading into the 2011 BCS national championship game, when Auburn beat Oregon 22-19 to complete its undefeated season.

"We thought we would be without (running back) Mike Dyer because he said he was one of them, but Auburn found a way to make those dudes eligible," Mike Blanc, a multiple-year starter along the Tigers' defensive line, told Roberts. Dyer would gain a game-high 143 yards on 22 carries in Auburn's win.

Auburn coaches offered cash payments to players, for reasons varying from a potential early entry into the NFL draft to simply having "a bad day at practice," Roberts reports. Former wide receiver Darvin Adams alleged that coaches offered cash to lure him away from entering the draft; while Adams wouldn't disclose the sum, both Blanc and another former teammate, Mike McNeil, put the total at "several thousand dollars."

Said Adams: "It was like, we'll do this and that for you. But I'd rather do things the right way. I am happy I didn't say yes to that stuff. That's what I'd tell kids."

"Coaches would say, 'Don't tell anyone where you got it from,'" Blanc said. McNeil recounts a meeting with then-defensive coordinator and current Florida coach Will Muschamp in 2007:

"I had no clue what it was about because I'd never directly asked him for anything," McNell said. "He slid about $400 over to me. He went into a drawer and gave me money and said, 'Is this enough? Is this good?' And I said, 'Yeah, I'm good.'"

Muschamp denied making the payment through a spokesperson, Roberts said.

The coaching staff also went well beyond the NCAA's prescribed per diem when entertaining prospective recruits, said former Auburn defensive back Nieko Thorpe. He cites an instance involving star prospect Dre Kirkpatrick an eventual Alabama signee: Auburn coaches gave student-athlete recruits $500 to entertain Kirkpatrick, while the NCAA limits such recruiting expenses to less than $50 per day.

The allegations further cloud Chizik's up-and-down tenure at the university, which reached its apex during that 2010 season but bottomed out a season ago, when the Tigers failed to win a game in SEC play for the first time since 1980.

NCAA investigators spent several weeks last fall looking into Auburn's recruiting practices, specifically digging into 2012 signee Jovon Robinson, whose Memphis-area high school transcripts were found to be forged.

Auburn came under heavy scrutiny in 2010 for its recruitment of star quarterback Cam Newton. According to an ESPN.com report, an individual purporting to represent Newton was allegedly soliciting a six-figure payment in exchange for Newton's letter of intent. While the NCAA never found any evidence of wrongdoing in the case, the investigation cast a shadow over the Tigers' otherwise sterling 2010 season.

LOOKING FOR: Alex Smith
FreeMan12406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Happens at every school, should not be news to anybody.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow... Big surprise here... Altering grades, cash payments to players... Sad day for Auburn fans...
superynaldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
Probably, but it doesn't make it right... Schools should be penalized, fined, and championships if won, stripped... Then make them sit a few years out to teach them all a valuable lesson..
Old 04-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Lets just set one thing straight, the NCAA is the biggest racket in sports today.

They pay out nothing, collect millions of dollars, and hold students to a higher standard than they hold themselves. Do I think it is great that these players get a full ride? Yeah, I do. But lets be honest, 95% of the players going to college aren't going for the education. They go to play a sport. So lets not pretend that they give two shits about grades and the ones that do, don't have problems like this pop up.

This kind of crap is rampant in the NCAA today and I really do think they let things like this out every once in a while to make it look like they actually give a #@#@#@#@ about it. In reality, as long as the money keeps flowing into that shady racket, they don't really care about this in the slightest.

Same thing goes for Bowl season. Until they change that #@#@#@#@ed up system (a 4 team playoff is not enough), it will be the worst post season in sports as well.
freethrowtommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrowtommy View Post
Lets just set one thing straight, the NCAA is the biggest racket in sports today.

They pay out nothing, collect millions of dollars, and hold students to a higher standard than they hold themselves. Do I think it is great that these players get a full ride? Yeah, I do. But lets be honest, 95% of the players going to college aren't going for the education. They go to play a sport. So lets not pretend that they give two shits about grades and the ones that do, don't have problems like this pop up.

This kind of crap is rampant in the NCAA today and I really do think they let things like this out every once in a while to make it look like they actually give a #@#@#@#@ about it. In reality, as long as the money keeps flowing into that shady racket, they don't really care about this in the slightest.

Same thing goes for Bowl season. Until they change that #@#@#@#@ed up system (a 4 team playoff is not enough), it will be the worst post season in sports as well.
You are 1000% right on with this post...
Old 04-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

There's a good reason why they call him Scam Newton!
lagalaxyfan23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Backup QB Cameron Newton arrested for stealing laptop, suspended from team – Swamp Things – Gators Blog – Orlando Sentinel

I always throw my legitimately purchased items out the window when the police show up....
Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Roll Tide!!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

National title going to be stripped.

Always buying Highend Items: PhotoBucket:
http://s1176.beta.photobucket.com/user/PACARDS/library/
Prospectorsadvantage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Time for Scam newton to send that heisman back. Cheaters.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Parkers going to love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
peekaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
This. My thought was, "And in other news, the sky is blue."
Current Needs: Drew Bledsoe 2009 BTL Auto's O,T,S; Buybacks; Butler Bulldogs (Gordon Hayward, Shelvin Mack, Matt Howard); Looking for the following: Alfonzo Dennard '12 TC Superfractor; Chandler Jones '12 TC and Bowman Sterling Superfractors; Please PM me with details
ssbledsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Freewoman starting a controversial thread trying to illicit drama???

Naw, couldn't be.
hasayrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

lol
that bimbo really nailed that Duke Lacrosse Story a few years back that caused her to go from writing for SI to writing for a blog called pokahoho with less than 500 followers.
Her facts are so incredibly incoherent as is her timeline. Equally amusing is the fact that she got her information from a felon facing a loooong time in prison and that the other players are denying it and wondering where the hell she came up with this 'stuff'.
I'll reserve my "Sky is falling" panties until someone more credible comes along like Harvey Updyke or Michelle Obama

Last edited by WhacksPacks; 04-04-2013 at 05:25 AM.
WhacksPacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardCollector View Post
Time for Scam newton to send that heisman back. Cheaters.
Didnt say cam newton did anything wrong
AP4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy91409 View Post
Roll Tide!!!!

Bamas next. Its gonna be hard for A.J. to explain where that fine boat came from.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #18 (permalink)

Hmmm, but when I posted about how players receive special benefits and only pass their classes because they play football I get slammed....

Richard Sherman
yourmyboyblue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

These players help makes these colleges millions, and networks make billion dollar deals over the rights to watch these kids. They should get paid, god forbid they have a career ending injury in college and walk away with nothing but a worthless education where most majors do not even guarantee job placement.
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasayrs View Post
Freewoman starting a controversial thread trying to illicit drama???

Naw, couldn't be.
I'm honestly trying to come up with words to even begin to respond to what you wrote.

This is a huge news story in the current day college football landscape that could not only negatively impact the college by stripping it's championship away, but could also pry the doors open in to Cam Newton's morally rocky college career.

This is news, relatively big news at that. Not something I schemed up in my living room for sh*ts and giggles.

LOOKING FOR: Alex Smith
FreeMan12406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:15 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrowtommy View Post

When you say 95% of players going to college aren't going for the education, do you mean all student athletes or just those playing football?

Did you have some ways the NCAA could change the system to make it better or is it just broken beyond repair?

If you have a system for the National Championship that actually works I would really love to see it. I've heard a lot of people call for 8, 10, 16 team playoff systems but I've never actually seen a plan that is actually feasible.
pigeonsbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonsbaseball View Post
When you say 95% of players going to college aren't going for the education, do you mean all student athletes or just those playing football?

Did you have some ways the NCAA could change the system to make it better or is it just broken beyond repair?

If you have a system for the National Championship that actually works I would really love to see it. I've heard a lot of people call for 8, 10, 16 team playoff systems but I've never actually seen a plan that is actually feasible.
Most athletes that don't play football or basketball don't have full ride scholarships and it's the ones that actually gets these schollys that don't get the education.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #23 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Every university does it in every sport. The more money the sport generates the more common the occurence. We all knew what was going on adn nobody ever spoke out about it until they felt snubbed.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to p.thomaston

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
Every university does it in every sport. The more money the sport generates the more common the occurence. We all knew what was going on adn nobody ever spoke out about it until they felt snubbed.
Unfortunately, this is true. I hope this doesn't affect the BCS Championship though. My worries are more involved with the changing of grades so players can be eligible for the big game.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.thomaston View Post
Unfortunately, this is true. I hope this doesn't affect the BCS Championship though. My worries are more involved with the changing of grades so players can be eligible for the big game.
While the NCAA was on campus and AU's compliance dept was under heavy scrutiny already? Not likely. THis broad is a bitter hack. One dude is set to go to prison for a looonggg time..so she conned the other players into a corner and then manipulated everything they said.
She needs to release the unedited tapes IMMEDIATELY instead of editing them or holding out for more press for her fizzled hack job...
WhacksPacks is offline   Reply With Quote